3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting Gear  (Read 222 times)

Offline Russell2

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting Gear
« on: May 29, 2011, 03:44:00 PM »
I'm new to traditional archery and was wondering what most of you guys wear hunting. Does camo really help to get a deer?

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting Gear
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »
Being ordor free is more important. Having said that...I really like camo that suits the area where I am hunting. One reason is that here is NH you can take a turkey during the archery season. There may be some that do it but I have never heard of anyone on this or any other archery forum claim to hunt turkeys successfully wearing clothing other than camo unless they are in a blind.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Aunty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 04:24:00 PM »
Movement is the most important camo of all Russell2 that is the first thing animals spot. Go slow and be a predator look with your eyes try and peel away the bush or in other words look through the bush. An answer to your question is yes i were a 3D ASAT camo leaf suit. I know guys that dont where camo and take animals. The reason i do is if one animal doesnt see me because im head to toe in camo then it was worth it. But camo is only good as long as you are still. If you are moving the games up hope this helps

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 09:20:00 PM »
I generally wear Cabelas wool when bowhunting.  But the biggest thing is blending in with your surroundings.  I hunt from treestands and brush blinds.  It takes some extra effort to brush things in good but it's worth it.  I added brush to an existing blind yesterday and set up a trail cam just for fun!!

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
Russell, I am also a firm believer that if you stare at an animal they can sense it. I avoid eye contact and only look intensely at it when I am ready to shoot and then concentrate on the exact spot I want the arrow to hit.As Aunty said movement will give you away quicker than anything, so slow deliberate moves when the animal is looking away or has something between you and it's eyes is extremely important even more than camo.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Russell2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 10:15:00 PM »
Thanks for the tips, ill have to invest in some camo gear and keep still. I'm really excited to hunt this year.

Offline KevO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 10:25:00 PM »
I have camo in various patterns & shades.  However, I have found that plaid shirts & dark green / gray pants obtained at Goodwill or Salvation Army work just as good.  Best bargain I ever found was a pair of LL Bean Boots for $1.00!

Offline Ari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 10:44:00 PM »
I don't use camo, a plaid shirt works fine. As already said moving is the give away.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 11:09:00 PM »
Camos, plaids, dull solids, I wear them all.  One thing they have in common is I wear what is appropriate for the type of hunting I am planning (sitting vs. moving, warm vs. cold, etc.) so that I can be comfortable - which means keeping still or moving quietly.

If you are cold you'll be fidgety - and no matter what you are wearing unnecessary movement will blow your cover.  A deer is just as afraid of moving stumps as they are humans.  

Dress warm in the winter, but if you are still hunting that is much different than if you are sitting in a stand or blind.  Layers can help you regulate your temperature.

And no matter what you are wearing - be conscious of the wind and keep the deer upwind of you.  They sometime pause to get a better look but they ALWAYS bug out when they wind you.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©