3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: In your own words, why is it so important to connect with "the past"  (Read 741 times)

Offline Arkansaslongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
We are all in this traditional way for a reason; I for one just feel a need to be simple and I truly love the "nostalgia" that surrounds traditional archery; I hate to see how "modern" our hunting has become; I am not totally against some advancements but the shows and media of today are focused on the wrong things;

So in your own words express your meaning on what traditional archery and hunting mean to you; thank you

:campfire:
May the sun always shine bright on your path and the wind be in your face

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
so it is NEVER forgotten and to insure the youth of today can participate in something so honest and pure.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Takes me back to simpler times.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Simple is better!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Steve in Canton

• Trad Bowhunter
It is not important to me to connect with the past, I just enjoy shooting my recurve more than a compound.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
The present is ever changing,the past has already been proven,tried and true works for me.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
I got tired of the modern contraptions & wanted to go back to my beginnings, not sure if I do connect to the past but I do think I should have been born a few hundred years ago.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline Craig Schoneberg

• Trad Bowhunter
I would go along with what adkmountainken said.  It seems to give me a feeling of returning or 'connecting' to simpler times.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member
Nebraska Bowhunters Association Life Member
Nebraska Traditional Archers Life Member
Traditional Archers of Nevada Founding Member
Colorado Traditional Archers Society

Offline Maxx Black

• Trad Bowhunter
Simple is better! I am old enough to remember the past I used the stick and string prior to the steering wheels and sights.(compound).  I used one for a couple of years and quickly switched to the recurve and longbow. Since retiring Simple is better,shooting everyday is better,living in the country is better,friends on Tradgang priceless.
Maxx
Kwyk Styk 58" 55x28
Cari-bow 62"54@28
Thunder child 56" 53@27
Bigfoot Sasquatch SS ILF 60"@55#@27"

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
"In your own words, why is it so important to connect with the past"

Because the future doesn't look to good.  

Honestly, I have never liked the use of technology.  Not in a Ted Kazinski kind of way, just that the tried and true results have work for thousands of years, so why try cheating yourself and take the easy way out.  Howard Hill didn't call his book The grab your latest electronic gadget and bow with a trigger for a good reason.  He called it Hunting the Hard Way.  Yes it's hard, but to me it's more fun.

As for now, I can afford to put food on the table, so being "successful" while hunting takes a back seat.  It's about being outside, and especially doing it with my kids.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: In your own words, why is it so important to connect with "the past"
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 09:31:00 PM »
My dad was an archer since the late 40's and a charter member of our local bow club in 1958 and my early memories of him with a bow were with a 55' bear kodiak. That "image" of him with a recurve has stuck with me since I was but a lad and the lure of a recurve, (and to a lesser extent), a longbow is what personally floats my boat. I love the challenge and the outright asthetic appeal of traditional bows. Cant get enough....jackdaw
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
It takes me back to my child hood.
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline WINDTALKER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 10:33:00 PM »
I don't know why or even if I feel the need to connect to the past. What I do know is that something deep in my soul is satisfied whenever I pick up my bow and go hunting or I wander through the wilds collecting bow wood and arrow shaft material.

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 10:51:00 PM »
It's not only a connection to our past it's a connection to our creator God almighty.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 10:56:00 PM »
In 1958, they put a kids bow and arrow set in my hands, I am now learning what I used to do naturally. So I guess  I am connecting with my past, and like the other guys have already said, I'm all teched out, I need something very simple. I shot by myself for 16 years and have only just got back into Trad. I'm happy to say I got back into it before I knew about the Rondys and 3-D shoots, and the forums, this is just the icing on the cake.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 10:57:00 PM »
It's not only a connection to our past it's a connection to our creator God almighty.
Shouldn't need a weapon to do that.  ;-)

I like the older gear because it keeps me in tune with simler times and presents a challenge I can test myself against.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 11:00:00 PM »
Because it is fun and I like it.  Watching a arrow fly out of a compound is nothing compared to watching it arch out of my recurve - I never get tired of it.
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline jarhead_hunter

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2011, 11:05:00 PM »
It takes me back to the far simpler and more joyful days of yesteryear.

A feeling of solitude and independence that I would really like to experience once again.

Just me, a boundless sky, endless stands of Ponderosa pine and small streams with native trout.

No established camprgrounds, no portable boom boxes, no loud and obnoxious party types.

I am packing now to go spend several weeks in the Gila Wilderness of New Mexico.

Charles.
Semper Fidelis
1st Mar Div RVN 1968-1970
1st MAW RVN 1966-1967

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ProArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2011, 11:11:00 PM »
I started on traditional as a kid. Then went to a wheel bow and that was fun and expensive. All the gadgets that made the bow shoot like a rifle. There was no challenge, I hit where the bright dot was. Now I have a bow from **** and things are less expensive. I am in the process of making a bow from black walnut. Cheaper still, I already had most of the tools (yes power tools), but I’m using a draw knife to do most of the work(and I do mean work)
People need to get a life. That dose not mean to take someone else’s, or to make one they can't support.

If you fish and hunt only to catch or kill something. You have MISSED THE POINT COMPLETELY.

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2011, 11:22:00 PM »
I started with a recureve went to compounds as teen. Shot compounds till I was 25 then switched back that was in 95. I truly beleave it is the best weapon for bow hunting and thats why I shot traditional. Just hope all the compound shooters never figure it out! I love finely hand crafted equipment so it fits me well.
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©