3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow Bolt  (Read 648 times)

Offline Mick Maloi

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow Bolt
« on: June 25, 2007, 06:12:00 PM »
G'Day All,
Can anyone tell me if the "bow bolt" is creating problems for bowyers?
I Ordered a bow 51/2mths ago,due for delivery 1 1/2mth ago) only to be told now that he does not use the bolt any longer because he is also having problems, yet it is still advertised as an option

I wish not to mention the bowyer at this stage as I do not wish to do him an injustice, but I find it strange that I have been requesting progress on my bow for 1 1/2 mths & none of this was mentioned until 2 days ago

First it was the bow hadn't been glued then it didn't make weight etc etc, forgive me for being cynical but...

Not only the issue here, but I am thinking if I go elsewhere is there an inherent problem with the bow bolt system

Thanks for your help

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Bolt
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 06:33:00 PM »
I've not heard a bad thing said about the bowbolt stystem mate. Custom stuff, whether it be bows, cars or whatever, often runs over time. Stuff happens & things do go wrong. Occasionally a custom builder (of anything) will get a little behind on his work, & I speak from experience here. All you cando is be patient mate. Artworks do take time & I would absolutely assure you, it's taking longer than expected, probably because the bowyer wouldn't even dream of sending out an inferior product. If it ain't perfect, he won't be happy, because you wouldn't be happy.
The anticipation is half the fun!!!  :D  :D
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Cutty47

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 09:26:00 PM »
I loved the one bow I shot with a bow bolt installed.  By far my favorite of the t/d LB systems I've shot.  But the bow did blow on me...however, it was a special project and the bow did not have much riser wood at all.

I wouldn't hesitate to order one on a bow with a draw weight below 60 lbs and a bit of riser mass at all.  It sure is a conveniant and rock solid system.

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 05:59:00 AM »
I had trouble with my Toelke Whip coming slightly apart on the bow bolt - after shooting for a few days.  When I would unstring the bow I could twist it back and it would lock into place where it started off - showing that it had slighlty started to come apart.  It had never done this before and I couldn't understand why.

I was spewing cause I really like my Whip - it is an awesome bow.  I put a thread up here and explained my problem - man who makes the bow/bolt sent me a P?M.  I was really impressed with his service ('after sale' I guess).

I had also written to Dan explaining my dilema.  They both asked me if I had put a bow quiver on the bow.  Yes I had and this coincided with my problems.  I removed the bow quiver and now problem solved.  I didn't really like it on there anyway cause it leaves a mark like a scratch on my limbs that I don't like.

I have so much confindence in the bow/bolt I have just ordered an awesome little R/D double carbon off Doug at Turkey Creek - and yes it has the bow/bolt.

Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline Mike Orton

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 06:54:00 AM »
I've had good luck on a bow bolt system installed into a Morrison Cougar long bow, 49# @ 28".  No complaints at all for me.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Zane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 09:49:00 AM »
Has anyone had a bow retro-fitted with the Bow Bolt?

Thanks,
zane

Offline Cutty47

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 10:28:00 AM »
Suttoman...you're going to LOVE that Turkey Creek with the bow bolt...man...I'm jealous.

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 10:35:00 AM »
I know of one 21st Century longbow that was retrofitted and blew after about 2 years.  Mr. Warren warned him that might happen.  He has salvaged the bow by taking the limbs and making a 3-piece T/D out of it, I think as a Warf bow.

I think the bow Bolt should be used preferably with a phenolic riser and if not that, then a Dymondwood riser.  I don't think I would want one with any other riser material.  I would also want a fairly healthy riser so it will not have thin walls around the bottom half of the bow bolt in particular.  JMHO

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 10:41:00 AM »
We have installed quite a few bow bolts in our bows over the last year or so.  Only had problems with one.  A slight change in our bow engineering and we are golden.

I know a few bowyers that have discontinued use.  It is not the bowbolt but the bow design that has moved them in a different direction.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 11:00:00 AM »
I've made 7 bows now with the bow bolt.  They all turned out fine so far.  The heaviest one is 55#.  I'm not sure I'd put one into a heavy bow.  Chad

Offline Mick Maloi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 05:59:00 PM »
Thankyou all for your input it's much appreciated  :)  

I'm looking at 70# so I might be wise to seek a different TD system

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 07:43:00 PM »
Yes Cutty I am hangin so badly for the Turkey bow - the more I read the more impatient I get.  It will be a geat companion for my Whip and if the Turkey is all they say it is I will prob cancel  my order for the a&H - they say the double carbon turkey is just as fast.

Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline Craig Warren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 10:49:00 PM »
Mick,

70 pounds might be pushing it just a little, but if your bowyer pays attention to what the guys in this thread are saying, 70 pounds is possible.  I know of an 85 # bow that was intentionally dry fired to test the bow bolt system and it held up fine and this was  done after hundreds of shots and about a year after the bow was completed.  The riser material is solid Cocabola (not even laminated)  But I also know of a few bows that "blew up" that were only in the 50# range.  As the folks have stated in this thread, the bows that broke were not the fault of the Bow Bolt.  (thank you Mike H, Mike W, and Cutty).

As Bill said in his post, a Phenolic or Dymondwood riser would be best, but whatever material, the holes for the Bow Bolt should have AT LEAST 1/8 " of material left at the nearst point to them after all shaping is done.

Another solition might be to go a lighter bow weight.  Do you have critters down under that require 70 Pounds?  We have some pretty big moose here in Maine, and I personally know of one bull that was taken EASILY with a 45# bow, although I would probably use a 55 # bow myself.  It's probably none of my business, but I've been through a faily serious rotator cuff surgery and sure wouldn't want to see anyone else have to go through it.  
Whatever you do, good luck, and above all, have fun.
Craig  
 www.warrenarchery.com  
Home of the Bow Bolt

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 11:09:00 PM »
The Hope and Faith bows that went around the USA all last year had bow bolts, and I didn't hear any complaints about the system at all.  Worked like a champ the times I put them together.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Many Arrows Lost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 02:30:00 AM »
I put hundreds of rounds through a #68 longbow w/bowbolt installed...not a single change in the bow.  It is definately an option I offer.  

Ken
Athens, Illinois

Offline Mick Maloi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2007, 03:35:00 AM »
Gentleman, thank you all once again, the reason for my original question stems from the reply I received from the bowyer I ordered my bow with, this is it:
"I am sorry to have to tell you but most Bowyer's using the bow bolt are having a lot of trouble with them and I am now too.  I was just finishing up a ##### with a bow bolt in it yesterday and it started to slip and now the bow is no longer useable.  I have made the decision not to use the bow bolt any longer, therefore, I would be happy to make you a regular #### and refund your $200 that you paid for the bow bolt or I will refund all of your money should you wish to go else where.  I believe that not using the bow bolt will save both of us a lot of trouble up the road."
Apart from the disappointment of having waited 5 1/2mths to no avail I have no whinge with the bowyer with regard to his integrity or honesty in any  way.
Craig,
We have Cape Buffalo over here as well as "Micky Bulls"
That as well as the fact that I have several Black Widows all in the 67-72# make me want to stay around that poundage...
Whilst I love my Widows I was/am looking something a bit different along the lines of a  2 piece RD Longbow 56" long & at least 65# & I liked the idea of the bow bolt system
If there is a bowyer that can help me, please contact me  :)  
My Regards to All

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2007, 04:22:00 AM »
An outstanding bowyer posted above,wingnut, ya need to contact him cause he has it going on as far as the bowbolt system and his bows.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2007, 05:44:00 AM »
Hey Mick - Where abouts in Auss do you hail from??

Sutto

Offline Mick Maloi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2007, 06:15:00 AM »
Danny,
Have made the contact...thankyou

Sutto,
Central West NSW   :)

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2007, 08:59:00 AM »
I think you are going to have a hard time finding a bowyer that will use a bow bolt in a 70# bow.  Heck I only know a few including us that will build and warrentee a bow of that weight.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©