3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Still-Hunting Whitetails?  (Read 326 times)

Offline Longbow1953

• Trad Bowhunter
Still-Hunting Whitetails?
« on: May 30, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »
I moved to SE Michigan from Portland, Oregon, recently.  I am interested in still-hunting and have had success with it hunting black tail in the NW.  Does anyone here do any still-hunting of whitetail and had success with it?  I don't particularly enjoy sitting all day in tree stands, but if that's what I have to do, I will.  If anyone has had success with still-hunting, I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks!
I've heard it said that Christianity is a crutch.  To me, it's a walking stick to use on the path of life.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Still-Hunting Whitetails?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
My last two whitetails were taken still hunting, and I have taken others over the years from the ground. I'm with you, I don't enjoy sitting in a tree all day, although it is no doubt a more productive way to hunt, and I will still do it in the future. But, it is a lot more fun to be sneaking around the woods, and that will be my preferred way to hunt whenever feasible. Just expect that you will be busted more often than not. When it all comes together, though, it is worth the effort.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 10:08:00 AM »
Still hunting whitetails is my favorite way to hunt them. A lot of times once you see them if they haven't seen or smelled you they will work their way to you. Good luck and have fun!
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 11:23:00 AM »
It CAN be done, but Michigan whitetails have alot of experience with hunters.  ;)

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 12:07:00 PM »
I had success for years with a compound. Tried it for the first time last season with traditional gear. Killed a nice fat doe the first day stillhunting. I had to make a quick 15 yard shot  while she was trotting. Don't think I could have got a shot off with a compound. For stalking, I now believe traditional may actually have an advantage over compounds. Damp, somewhat windy days seem most productive for me. On dry, still days I stand hunt. Good luck and have fun.
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 12:18:00 PM »
Still hunting is pretty much all I do. I imagine it is primarily because of the 20-30 acre tracts of private land I have permission to hunt.
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 12:23:00 PM »
I do it when I can. Meaning if other hunters are in the woods I won't mess up there hunt by still hunting pass them. On rainy days or where my public hunting spot doesn't have hunters I will sit for a few hours then still hunt.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 01:24:00 PM »
This is very interesting. I'd like to hear some more anecdotes. I don't think I'm good enough to sneak up on a whitetail.

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 01:47:00 PM »
I guess I look at it like still hunting, sneaking and hunting with my eyes looking for movement, etc.  Once I see a whitetail, then I call it stalking.  I try to cut them off, not really sneak up on them but get to where I think they are going and set up on them behind a tree or brush etc.  I try to keep a cross wind on me, not really a hunt with the wind in my face.  last year I took a doe at 35 yards with my longbow and wood arrows, 2 blade head, she never knew she was hit, arrow went clean through.  She walked 60 yrds, laid down and died right there.  If I had know she was 35 yards, i would not have shot by the way, I thought she was closer.

Anyway, this is my prefered method because i enjoy it more.  I screw up way more often and kill far fewer this way however.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 02:36:00 PM »
I mainly hunt mule deer but sometimes whitetail.

I do it exactly like Bob B. does. I move very slowly and try to spot them and then get where I think they're going to be. Lots of times I'm wrong or I get snookered by the wind.

Twice now, I heard them and just stopped right where I was and they walked right by me. Fred Asbel as a good article in TBM last issue about that how it is not a good thing to have them walk right at you, and I agree totally. I've had that happen lots of time and not only is it a bad shot, but they're looking at you while you are standing there undrawn and naked.

I agree that stillhunting generally isn't as effective as hunting from a stand but even though I have friends who hunt muleys and blacktail that way, I've not had much luck at it.

I like it better than sitting still.

Stillhunting/stalking is how I hunt elk, too, when they won't work to calls.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 03:41:00 PM »
I'd rather shoot one on the ground than 10 from a tree. I like to drift through my woods on windy days, especially. I move when the wind gusts.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline JParanee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 04:35:00 PM »
everything works if your in the right place at the right time
Morrison & Titan ILF & BF Extreme Limbs
Silvertip 1 Piece 57#-Silvertip 57#-Black Widow Ma II 61#&69#-Fedora 560 69#- 560 57#-560 60#-560 55#-Brakenbury Shadow 60#-Hoyt Buffalo 55#- Bob Lee 58#- fishing bows PSE's

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
You must and mean must know how the wind works in your hunting area.Thermals and times they move will move deer certain ways and you should know the crosswind areas deer use.I've spent many hours and days w/ smokebombs(durring to offseason)patterning thermals and wind directions.If you can calculate air movement,perferred food source,,and how they effect deer movement,you've won half the battle.
Also,while stillhunting,spend alot of time squatting.You will be suprised at what you missed

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »
ttt

Offline michigan bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
i've tried for years to get a really nice bedded buck by still hunting.  i've been busted more times than i care to remember, but i have 'snuck up' on three really good bedded bucks.  i shot right over the back of all three of them from about 20 to 21 yards out.  last fall i got to wihin 20 yards of a beauty but thought i could get 5 yards closer.  i did but as i drew he spotted me and was gone in an instant.  i consider that being busted.
but i'll keep trying.
one thing i have come to believe is that my chances go way up on a windy day with wet under-footing AND i go across the wind - not into it.
I'm just happy to be here!

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 06:45:00 AM »
Still hunting is the only way I ever seem to be able to kill deer.  If the conditions are just too crunchy, I'll pick a spot and sit there (and typically get busted drawing - heh) but I much prefer to move slowly and quietly through the woods.

The one I killed last year died because she thought she was sneakier than me.  The day was windy and the wind direction changed constantly.  I caught a bedded doe that must have smelled me first but she decided to hang tight - I guess because she thought I couldn't see her.

If you want to still hunt, just get out there and do it.  Go slow - no slower than that - and pay attention.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 08:15:00 AM »
I am "Still" hunting white tails. Been doing it since the 60's, but generally hang in trees doing it.  I guess I am just too clumsy and too short of an attention span to try and sneak up on them.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 10:24:00 AM »
I can't still hunt whitetails. No matter how quiet I am sneaking around the thick piney woods, they always smell me before they see me. They snort and they take off. When this happens, I hear them running and most of the time, I never see them running. Just hear them.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 12:25:00 PM »
Here is a fun anecdote.  I was sitting in a favorite stand one wet, misty morning.  I watched three does feed in and bed 70 yards from my stand in a little thicket.  I sat for another hour before I decided to see if I could slip in on them.  To make a long story short, it took me almost and hour and a half to descend out of my ladder stand and stalk within 20 yards.  The does finally got nervous and stood.  By a small miracle considering the thicket,  I drilled the closest one.  I believe of the dozens of does I've shot... that doe is one of my all time favorites.    :)    

PS  I've tried this several times since and rarely make it to the ground without getting busted( let alone pull off a kill).  But at least I proved to myself it can be done.

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2011, 01:04:00 PM »
Very cool! I like still hunting. Whats the old saying?

White man walk much, see little....
Indian walk little, see much....

Leafywear is your friend. Don't forget your face/hands. Take your sweet time, take advantage of avilable cover and use good glasses. Pay attention to the wind and plan your hunts according to the the wind patterns. Wear snake boots when in snake country. I have a lightweight stool that I strap to my back and comes in handy if I decide to make up a quick ground blind to hunt from. A small, packable saw comes in handy also.

Good luck!

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©