3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The best fly dope (insect repellent) I have used  (Read 765 times)

Offline Yolla Bolly

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The best fly dope (insect repellent) I have used
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »
Around here, have been using the repellents from Repel and Cutter that contain picardin, rather than Deet.  They work well here in the valley---have not had the chance yet to give them the real workout, with the high country spring blood suckers. Still too much snow to get up there.
"Son, yeh gotta learn the Tehama 3-step."   Homer Whitten.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2011, 12:00:00 PM »
Where can you buy the Badger product?

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2011, 03:22:00 PM »
Bump TTT for me and Jon.... where can you get the Badger product fellas ???
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2011, 03:33:00 PM »
Look on-line, I found it for $7.20 per 2 oz. tin if you buy 12 or more. Then there was $7.35 of you got 4-5 tins. It appears to retail at $10.00 a 2 oz tin at most sites.

Homs is cheaper and you get more for your money. I would like to get both and compare. I also have the Thermocel I need to try.

I'm thinking about getting several if I could re-sell them. If anyone is going to Cloverdale let me know I could try and have some for the shoot.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline PatriarchArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2011, 03:47:00 PM »
I have had good success with the Thermocell. Bugs are real nasty in SC.
60" MOAB 55# @ 27"
CE Predator II

So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.             1 Corinthians 10:31

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2011, 05:08:00 PM »
I have just enough brain cells to get to my grave..can't afford to lose any more.
Ray,
That is some funny stuff there!!!
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »
I haven't gotten the Homes yet, but the Badger came. Good stuff! I like that it's made of natural oils, including Cedar Oil. Works great.

I got it on the auction site.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »
Its Homs, not Homes. Sorry for the mis spell in my original post.

Anyone else able to report on this product. I am curious if others have had the same great result I did.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline JockC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »
There is a scentless product called Ultrathon that works well.  It's pricey, but occasionally you can find the military version in a surplus store, even here in Montana, for considerably less.  It is really effective.  I've used a lot of DEET and try to avoid it now.
Jock
TGMM Family of the Bow
Hunting should be hard.

Offline scbowhnter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2011, 09:53:00 AM »
Thermacell just redesigned the holster so it's a lot easier to put the unit in it and a clip was added to make it easier to attached to belts, packs, etc. Makes a great way to carry your refills as well!
CJ

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »
If you can control ticks with a Thermacell then your ticks are wimps!

My  Thermacell works great for any flying bug but the ticks laugh at it.

Ultrathon is a time-release deet lotion that does a good job on our ticks.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2011, 10:37:00 AM »
Thermacell won't work on ticks.

You need to use permethrin sprayed and allowed to dry on your pants legs waistband, and shirt cuffs and collar area.

That's the only way to eliminate ticks.

Osage, yes...I've had really good results with thermacell...they say lay flat... but as long as you loosely attach it so air can get to the back of the unit, you're golden.

I hang it from a pack, possibles bag strap, or my belt behind me. The stream of repellent trails behind you if you are moving- that's exactly where your carbon dioxide trail is, which is what the mosquitoes are following to locate you so they can get a meal.

As soon as you become stationary, the protection surrounds you. If there's a breeze, you don't need to worry too much as skeeters anyway because they'll go down in the grass/bushes to escape the breeze to begin with.

We have the duck-raper subspecies of mosquito in SC and I don't wear any repellent- just use the thermacell and cover up sensibly- long sleeves and no exposed neck area as I use a kercheif or other neck covering and a hat.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2011, 11:40:00 AM »
I spray all my clothes heavily with Permanone and let it air dry a day or two outside.

Smells like line dried, obviously.

I do head nets, face masks, gloves, hats, etc.

I've warded off skeeters in varied areas of PA and in MD including Blackwater Refuge on the E. shore.

Only repellant I had and I could see the skeeters "hovering" about 18" away but never come in and stay!

I didn't think Permanone would repell skeeters, but it has for me and that E. Shore swamp country is loaded.

FWIW... now I also use the thermacell like Ray said.  Only bites I got at his place were on the porch after dark in shorts! And no, didn't have the "cell" on till too late!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2011, 02:55:00 PM »
This is the best I have used. No deet, and lasts. No Toxic chemicals.
Pete

http://insectdefendpatch.com/

Share your knowledge and ideas.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2011, 03:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by NoCams:
Hey StumpKiller.... where do we get Badger at ???
Local Agway (farm supply store).  There are also a couple small shops near where we keep our boat that carry it.

PS - endorced by the Cornell ornithology and biology field teams.  The man who told me about it is a veterinary pathologist who studies diseased or dead animals in rain forests in South America.  He would know about bad bugs!

Here's a website link to their store locator.

http://www.badgerbalm.com/t-buy_badger.aspx
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2011, 03:32:00 PM »
Pete,

I was trying to remember the name of that product last night. Thanks for the reminder- may need to give it a try this year!
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »
I can't find either of them around here. I will have to order it on line. I did pick up something call "Swamp Gator" today and put some on when a deer fly was making a real pest of himself. Nothing bothered me the rest of my practice.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2011, 01:23:00 AM »
I passed out a case of them last year at a shoot when I was doing a review on the Patch and had a lot of great feedback.
 They are all I use now.
 Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2011, 02:26:00 PM »
Have any of you heard of the Shoo Tag??  It is a credit card sized tag you clip on or carry in a pocket....no chemicals....their web site has some cobblety gook stuff that really sounds weird--stuff like the magnetic strip is programmed with frequencies and resonances that when combined with the wearers electro magnetic field becomes a powerful repellent force, etc. etc. yadda, yadda.....I would simply dismiss it up front except there are a couple of guys here in my home state who have posted about it on a state forum who swear by it.  Anybody heard of it, or better yet, anybody tried it?  I may get one on line just to check it out--not too expensive.....Dave
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Wayde Burke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2011, 06:22:00 PM »
Guys ! Where do I get my hands on this Badger bug stuff. I've never heard of it before, but it sounds great.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©