3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Roosvelt Elk  (Read 208 times)

Offline memo

• Trad Bowhunter
Roosvelt Elk
« on: June 02, 2011, 01:37:00 AM »
Hey there tradgangers,
Was thinking about scratching an itch and start planning for a hunt over your neck of the woods.
Roosvelt elk tickle my fancy, and like the look of the country they live and was wondering if many of you guys hunt them?
Which states allow a nonresident alien get tags over the counter, and head out hunting?
Washington or Oregon were the main ones I was looking at.
What are the chances of seeing deer and bear in these areas too?
A bit vague in the questioning, but I was just wanting to put the feelers, and get a few ideas.
Thanks fellas,
Memo

Offline ren sarns

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Roosvelt Elk
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 01:48:00 AM »
Washington, over the counter elk tags, and very good chance of seeing Blacktail deer and a bear or two....  go to  http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/regulations/

and check out the hunting reg's online.
WSAA/TBW/NFAA

NAVY MCPO - RETIRED

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 01:55:00 AM »
Ive hunted them in Washington in the past and plan to again this september.. Great experience and Awesome country.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 08:27:00 AM »
I'm originally from Oregon and have hunted Roosies quite a bit.  I've also hunted them in Washington.  I'd contact the game departments of both states and see what they will require for you regarding hunter safety accreditation.  Both deer and bear could be run into while hunting, though deer tend not to hang around elk and bear could be anywhere.  Roosies tend not to be as vocal as Rocky Mtn. elk, but do talk more when relaxed and herded up.  I've had limited success bugling up bulls, but have had some success in Washington.  Expect to get wet and  spending lots of time busting through brush.  It's tough hunting but really good fun!

Offline Ray Borbon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 06:59:00 PM »
It's a jungle out there on the coast. Bring your rain gear. You can see elk 35 yards away that are behind a tangle of vines and bushes. Frustrating sometimes. Best of luck.

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 07:11:00 PM »
Northwest Oregon. Lots of public land and timber company land. Steep terrain. Dense forests. Bulls will work. Lots of hard hunting bowhunters, but lots of space to spread out in. Feels like you're the only one there. Enough elk you can bump into them without investing a month or two scouting. You do have to walk though.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 10:39:00 PM »
Memo

I live on the Olympic penninsula in northwest Wa.
There are piles of Roosevelt elk here also deer and lots of bear.
Tags are over the counter.
If you would like to come up here and hunt elk I would be happy to help you out.
Let me know.

John

Offline memo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 06:48:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies fellas,
Downloaded both states regs, and picking through them. Outwest, thats a generous offer - thankyou. Will message you later to pick your brains about a few things.
Memo.

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »
memo-If you have any other questions, drop me a line, I might be able help you out.  That's a mighty generous offer Outwest has made!   :thumbsup:   Some great TradGang spirit there!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©