3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: For those that can't shoot in their own yards ...  (Read 697 times)

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
For those that can't shoot in their own yards ...
« on: June 02, 2011, 01:49:00 PM »
I'm curious how those who can't shoot and practice in their own yards get along (so to speak).

I just can't seem to be able to wrap my head around not being able to walk out the back door and shoot.

My better half is in heavy house hunting mode and while one of my requirements is being able to shoot in the backyard, it's very hard to actually meet that need (I know, move out in the country ... but that's just not going to happen.)

So for those of you who have to shoot 'off site', or for those who were once able to shoot in their yards and now can't, have you found it a large pain the butt or just a minor inconvenience?

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: For those that can't shoot in their own yards ...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 02:05:00 PM »
I can shoot in the yard, but often go to the local range to meet friends and shoot. i also have a 10yd target in the basement and a 15yd target I set up in the kitchen and shoot from the living room. It makes it nice when i get the urge to shoot late and night, in the rain, snow....

Offline bsoper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 02:06:00 PM »
It's a pain in my butt. I want to be able to shoot whenever I want, not make it a half day planned event with travel and such. But, I don't have any other choice, I live in the city. I hope that my next place of residence affords me such luxury.
~Brock

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 02:08:00 PM »
I can't imagine not being able to shoot at home. Except when I was living on campus at Purdue in the mid-70's I've always been able to shoot in the yard, in the house, or in the drive-way.

As I approach my 2nd retirement, God has blessed me with the best shooting environment of my life. Indoor range, deck and yard range, and 45-minute woodland 3-D range right out the back door. Of course I was aiming (pun intended) for this exact set-up for most of the past 30 years.

Shooting my bows is part of every day for me except, ironically, as I write this from about 4,000 miles from home, for the next 10 days. I wish I had packed one of my takedowns just so I could ...you know, hang out with it. I was afraid a baggage handler would take a liking to it.

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 02:14:00 PM »
Untill the middle to later part of this month I shoot into my basement/ManCave but after that I'll not have that oporatunaty because my Mom-n-Law is moving in due to her having a Stroke about a month ago & my room is the most logical location since it's next to our bedroom, the bathroom is better suited for her needs & less need for a 35+ foot wheel chair ramp.

Yeah I'll go batty not being able to shoot & since I live in a HOA shooting in the back yard isn't an option but I'll manage.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 02:19:00 PM »
I recently moved to a house with an 1800 square foot unfinished basement. I now have a 13 yard range on one end. It is very nice to be able to slip downstairs and shoot a few.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 02:22:00 PM »
Eigene:
A great and worthy sacrifice for family. I applaud you.

Folks, rules and regs against shooting in city limits, backyards, etc. are unncessary and written by folks who know nothing about archery. Some of these same folks think nothing about chipping golf balls around their house.  Golf has a far more dangerous safety record than archery.  

If 8,800 schools and 1,916,000 kids can shoot indoors with zero harm to their million dollar gymnasiums, (NASP) you and I can figure a way to contain our practice in the smallest of areas.

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 02:26:00 PM »
It isa pain not being able to shoot in your yard, even just for form. But I am lucky to belong to an archery club only 20 minutes away that has 3D targets, field and stump course on 21 acres. The mosquitos are brutal in the summer though.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline JO_EZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »
Magoo,
I hear ya', brother... I am a country boy who went off to the city for college, fell in love with a city girl and have been living in town since. That was 20 years and 3 kids ago.

Keeping a family together can be tough, which is why almost 50% of us fail at it in this country. The sacrifices are real and don't let anyone tell you different. But that is what being a big boy is all about and giving yourself to others is better for your soul than making sure you get what is yours.

We have tried the "you get to live in town, so I get more time outdoors" thing, but the realities of life make it hard for that to actually work.

At one point I went back to shooting a compound because with the time restrictions, I needed a "set it and forget it" solution at the time.

We have some public land about 35 minutes from the house where I take the kids stump shooting. It is tough with one in his early hunting years, who needs one level of attention and a couple younger who need a whole differen approach, which usually leaves my own skills neglected.

In the end though, I figure that if I have to limit my hunting range to 12 yards, but I have a kid or 2 sitting in the woods with me, then I got it right.

So, to answer your question, it is a large pain in the butt. However, as hard as it is to believe, there are bigger fish to fry. Keep that wonderful family of yours close, count your blessings, shoot when you can and enjoy it when you do.
I started shooting a longbow because I thought it would simplify things and it did... now I simply need to get a whole lot closer to hit anything.

Work'n when I have to, fish'n when I can...

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 03:22:00 PM »
Easy answer - keep looking!  :)

I made a vow a long time ago that I will never live in a place that I cannot take a leak off of my own front porch when I want to.  I can shoot the archery target off the same end of that front porch too!

Now, how do I get the horses from coming and standing in back of bales every time I carry my bow out of the door? (Note: solution cannot involve shooting the horses!  ;) .

Seriously, best of luck in your house hunting and I'm sure you will be able to find a house that suits the boss where you can still shoot arrows.

R

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
In Europe we live stacked one next to the other,I am blessed to have my own yards and indoor range,so I can take care of my 90 bows!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
The problem is, if you check the law closely enough in most metropolitan areas, you will probably find that it is against the law to shoot archery in your backyard.  However, most people do it anyway, and given the priorities of most law enforcement agencies, it is unlikely that anyone will bother you unless some neighbor complains or you cause damage or injure someone with your bow.  Also, you never know until you get to know your neighbors if they would mind if you shoot arrows in your backyard or not; it's not the kind of thing you can ask them when you introduce yourself to them for the first time.

So unless you move to a rural area where it is clearly no problem, you are going to have to live with some uncertainty for a while, unless you are content to shoot in your garage or down your hall.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline TradDad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »
I'm in the same exact boat there magoo. I have to drive 30 min to my club range, in the end I'm grateful for that....I sure hope we find a house with a suitable yard.     :pray:
But his bow abode in strength, and the arms of his hands were made strong by the hands of the mighty God of Jacob;(from thence is the shepherd, the stone of Israel:) -Genesis 49:24

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 03:46:00 PM »
Honestly I couldn't do it. I live in the country and can shoot as much and as far as I want. I also have a 14 yard range in my unfinished basement for those nasty cold winter days.
BD

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »
I've been really lucky.  I have only lived in two homes where shooting my bow was not possible.  That was only for about 3-4yrs when we first married.. It took that long to convince my "City Girl" that she really was ment to be a "Country Girl".

For the last 26+ years, it's been a small Log Home on a little over 7 acres, woods with a roving 3D and bag range and plenty of rotten stumps to shoot at...      :thumbsup:    

I feel sorrow for those of you who have to limit your shooting, or drive hours or miles to a place to shoot.     :rolleyes:    

Gene Carroll
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »
This was the most important reason my time living in town was very limited. Found a nice place in the county. It is simple. Stay away from city limits and subdivisions.
I have a 55 yards archery range and a 100 yards rifle/muzzleloader range. I would never consider marrying a city girl. Completely out of the question for me.
I have never understood why a lot of americans want to live in those nasty subdivisions where you have to follow stupid regulations set up by ignorant people. Not my cup of tea....

Offline Oregon Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
I'll be keeping an eye on this one. Going to be shopping for houses in town soon too. I have been shooting out of my garage into the yard with a substantial backstop (shed). I leave the bow when I go to get arrows and don't draw any attention. Works pretty good but still not ideal. I'll build a shed to shoot out of if I have to but hoping for a good spot instead.
"Don't believe everything you think" - bumper sticker

"Savage Blaster" - 50@31 - 63" (recurve I made with Steve Savage)
Firefly TD longbow - 50@31 - 63"
7 Lakes double shelf from a blank - 45@31 - 66"
Trident ILF w Blackmax carbons - 42@31

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 04:14:00 PM »
I shoot in the yard, but also go to a local bow shop - 20 yard range and techno hunt!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 04:18:00 PM »
Shooting in the yard/garage/property varries from city to city in my metro area.  My city clarified the rules after an archery shop with indoor lanes opened up downtown.  NO Shooting except for certified ranges.  Only certified range in town in at that shop. I've only visited there once. Nice enought folks but they don't sell traditional gear.  That being said I still shoot my garage,just did so this pm,  its double deep so I can get a 10yard shot.  Used to shoot in back yard until a family moved in behind with a couple of small kids, while I never shot directly toward their backyard better error to caution than expain a wayward shot.  Bought where I live now in part due to distance from local range and club.

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2011, 04:21:00 PM »
I do shoot in the back yard but only at certain times. We live on a 1/4 acre in the middle of a development. I shoot from 12 yards behind the attached garage. I can only do when there are no kids outside. They tend to rove the yards. If I want to shoot further then I head out to a drainage basin. It is wide open there and only a couple hundred yards away from my house. I have also shoot in the garage.

You just have to make it work. Short of that, I head 20 mininutes away to a club where I can shoot indoors when it rains.

Martin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©