3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: For those that can't shoot in their own yards ...  (Read 696 times)

Offline cthorsman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: For those that can't shoot in their own yards ...
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2011, 01:56:00 AM »
I saw something about how G. Fred would shoot blunts at a couch in his house when the boss lady wasn't around. Living in an apartment I created some large soft blunts (duct taped foam over rubber blunts) and shot into a pile of anything old and soft that couldn't be ruined. I could get about 12 yards and practice my form. Any shooting is better than no shooting.

Now I have a friend with a 28 yard range in his basement. Hopefully my shooting will improve.

Offline cthorsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2011, 02:42:00 AM »
On another line of thought, most of the country has an excess of homes for sale. If a property has been foreclosed and purchased back by the bank, the bank will list the property for the current market values, which are low. If the property does not move in a certain number of months, the bank will knock 10-20 percent off their asking price. Typically, if the property does not sell in another certain number of months the bank will again lower it's asking price.

Banks and realtors are trying to keep values up, so it can take a bit of hard-nosed dealing to come up with the bottom priced foreclosed properties, but that is where most of the great deals are. If you find one of these you want,  you should still offer 20% less.

If the realtor and the bank/seller don't cry like a hungry baby at your offer, then you offered too much.

If this can help find you a yard to shoot in, then maybe you need to get more in the game.

Offline R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2011, 07:32:00 AM »
When I was fresh out of college I lived in an apartment for two years. Block and bag targets weren't out back then so I built a 2' X 2' compressed cardboard target that I kept in the bottom of the linen closet at the end of my short hallway.  I could open the door and shoot about 12-14 yards if I stood in the kitchen, shot over the counter and down the hallway.  Not perfect but at least I got to shoot when I wanted.  Close the closet door and range was put away.

I later moved into a city that prohibited shooting in the yards.  I bought a 63 foot long ranch house with an unfinished basement.  I partitioned off a 5' wide section down the length of it with drywall and then finished the balance of the basement on the other side of it.  You never even knew it was there except I had an odd door in one corner of a room.  Opened the door and there was essentially a long hallway that I could shoot about 19 yards in.  I installed a target butt on the far end and hung a string of lights down the length of it. Could shoot 24 hours a day, rain or shine.

Thirty years later I now live out and have an 80 yard archery range in my side yard and 1/2 dozen 3-D targets scattered out amongst the trees, along with a couple of ladder stands to practice from.  Only downside is that I never know how many of my buddies are going to be waiting in the driveway to do some shooting when I get in from work. (They tend to drink all my beer!)

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2011, 08:26:00 AM »
it all boils down to the kind and quality of shooting.  

for practicing form and release, it only takes a few yards of room and i've yet to find a dwelling that won't accommodate that kinda indoor shooting.

but finding real yardage sure can be an issue for some folks.

and even if yer property has a goodly shooting distance, you might not have the acreage for really fun ROVING.  :)
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline WRV

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2011, 09:06:00 AM »
Magoo, I'm fortunate enough to be able to shoot in my back yard and we have a portable indoor range set up here at the funeral home so we can shoot on days we have some down time. Eagles Flight Archery is only 45 minutes away and less that a half mile off I-40. Don and Karen are good folks to deal with too. We would enjoy having you come shoot with the gang on Tuesday evenings from about 6:30 till...... Lot of fun, sometimes we even get serious, lots of BS too. Would enjoy having come and shoot with us.....Randy
Morrison Cheyenne TD 60" 50@28
Black Widow PSAX 60" 53@28
BUNCHA BIGHORNS
Genesis 27:3

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2011, 10:33:00 AM »
Thanks for the invite Randy.  I appreciate it.  I don't know how well I shoot, but I can BS with the best of 'em.

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
I'm lucky I guess I'm out in the country. My wife bought our home while i was up in Canada chasing bears, I got to admit she did good!

I have a dozen or so 3-ds scattered through the back yard and in the edge of the woods with a couple ladder stands for shooting as well.

But since the wife can buy a house while i was on vacation i found it only fair to wait until she went on a vacation with her Mom to put up a 66 by 24 garage so I would have a cold/wet day shooting spot!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2011, 04:03:00 PM »
I've been practicing in my yard for two years on the side of my house, there's only 20 ft between the two. I ended up getting a visit from the local police dept because of a trailer on the side of my yard. they happened to notice my target and asked me if I had participated in shooting in the side yard. I told them I was into traditional archery which intrigued that particular officer's interest. He asked to watch me shoot against his better judgement and then asked if he could try, even though he knows he's not supposed to even participate in this. He asked if he could continue trying to shoot the bow. to make a long story short, I have not received any backlash of any sort from them in two years. As a general rule, even a slingshot is considered a firearm in this community.
RV
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »
I shoot at my workplace, and when I'm teaching archery, sometimes I get paid to shoot alongside the kids!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2011, 09:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ben Kleinig:
I shoot at my workplace, and when I'm teaching archery, sometimes I get paid to shoot alongside the kids!
ben, i sure wish that was the way here in the states ... at least it USED to be that way.     :mad:     :banghead:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »
To me I don't care what town you are in.  If you want to shoot in your back yard put up a 6-7' privacy fence and have at it.  Heck shoot in the nude if you want.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
Like has been said, most city ordinances prohibit shooting a bow - usually it says "projectile" and is broad to cover slingshots, air rifles, etc.  You can say what you want about it not being right, but it makes some sense when you consider all the different situations in a city and all the idiots in this world, especially with more powerful compounds. Out of city limits is probably a free-for-all for most.

BUT, in most places if you know your neighbors and use your head you probably won't have a problem.  

My house requirement with my wife is I have to be able to shoot my bow in the yard.  This isn't only for shooting, I really like a yard and trees, and some space.  I'm blessed to have that right now.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2011, 11:00:00 PM »
I shoot in the house at 7 yards my wife loves it  :D . Its really good pratice I shoot for small 1" dots which makes you really focus even at close range. When I go out side hitting a 3 inch dot at 15-20 yards seems easy. It works for me and keeps me in shooting shape outside weather doesn't matter inside thats a big plus.

Offline StickBowManMI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2011, 11:06:00 PM »
I lived in the Country in New York and had a club range only 6 miles from my house. When I did not have time to go to the range, I shot from the dining room through the kitchen and the Play Room and into the garage using a block taget. I was living alone so I was able to do this in my house. Now I live in a city and can only get to a club range about once every two months . It really has caused me a lot of grief. I wish that I had never left New York for living in a city. I am one unhappy camper. Think twice about what you giving up!

Offline COLongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2011, 11:13:00 PM »
No, I can't shoot in my backyard due to living in a subdivision. Too bad cause it's 22 paces from the back fence to the house. It could be totally safe but all it takes is one neighbor in a bad mood to have Mr. Po-po at my door. Sorry but I don't want to know them well enough to explain my sit.

In the meantime I'll either shoot at 8 yards in my garage or drive 20 mins to the local compound range or over 40 to the one outdoor public range in town.

I would give anything to walk out my back door and just go stumpin'. You guys who have that consider yourselves either smart or lucky or both!
BW PCH III

His servant

Offline Lee Viv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2011, 11:48:00 PM »
I belong to an archery club within 15 minutes of my house so when I want to shoot it's not that big a deal. Indoor range with key access and outdoor practice range to 80 yards along with a field course through the woods. Depending on the shift I am on I can either shoot before or after work. No big deal not shooting in my backyard!  

Lee

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2011, 12:07:00 AM »
Yeah, I break the law every day and the cops know it too, but they don't seem to care no neighbors can see me and everybody is happy especially me.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »
Reading all these Replies, I just had an epiphany!

I just solved everyone's urban/suburban shooting woes.

Have  truck Driving Friend Park the Semi Trailer on the street out front! get in, shut the door, (this next step could be important) Turn on the lights,

Shoot to your hearts content!    :readit:    :bigsmyl:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Igor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2011, 10:37:00 AM »
I live in a major city suburb...but I have a 7ft cedar fence and the position of my house/trees allows me to shoot unobserved and with no complaints from my neighbors (yet). I shoot all year round unless the temps drop below zero.

><>

glenn
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding In all your ways submit to him and he will direct your paths

Offline hardtimes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2011, 10:22:00 AM »
I live in an HOA controlled development. The HOA does not address archery. I shoot in my backyard with no fence and use my shed as a backstop. I have been doing this on and off for about 4 years now and never a peep form anyone.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©