3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Skinning a bow - tung oil / tru oil???  (Read 178 times)

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
Skinning a bow - tung oil / tru oil???
« on: June 02, 2011, 02:12:00 PM »
I decided to put some skins on one of my bows.  For the last few weeks, I've been searching and reading every thread on here about applying snake skins, but I still haven't found an answer.

What is the difference between tung oil and tru oil?  Are they both water resistant/waterproof?  I've read a lot of posts about the two but still can't make up mind.  The method I've chosen is to use TBIII for the glue, skip the super glue step due to varying reports, apply either tung or tru oil, and maybe finish it with a light satin poly spray.  Which one works better for a finish over snake skin?  I don't have any tru oil to test, but I do have some Formby's Tung Oil, which from what I read is actually a wiping varnish/oil mix.  I'm backing a glass bow and I'd like to end up with a smooth dull finish.  Any help, comments, or pictures would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.  Matt

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Skinning a bow - tung oil / tru oil???
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »
Why not just skip the oil?  I've done nearly 20 skin jobs and just spray lightly with 3-5 coats of Helmsman spar urathane or Deft in a satin finish.  Very durable and leaves a nice dull/satin finish.

If you go with oil, Formby's is intended for furniture so I expect it will not be as resistant to the weather as tru oil.  But if you're going to spray over it anyway, I suppose it won't make much difference.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 03:03:00 PM »
I have done four bows and just sprayed them with a Helmsman spar urethene also.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 03:18:00 PM »
I see a lot of guys using Tru-oil. Don't know the difference between Tung and Tru. Just what I see.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 04:19:00 PM »
How is the texture with the Helmsman?  And does it yellow over time?

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 04:48:00 PM »
You can get a texture about equal to 220 or 320 grit sandpaper by holding the can fairly far (16-20 inches) from the bow as you spray it. I usually do that on the last coat.  In effect, the varnish starts to dry before it hits the surface.  Regardless, the satin finish doesn't dry glassy smooth like a high gloss finish.  It darkens a little with time, but almost all finishes do.

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 05:05:00 PM »
I used tru-oil. easy to wipe on, and looks great.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 05:37:00 PM »
The Helmsman spar urethene has UV protection,mine I've done hasn't yellowed.Regular polyurethene will tend yellow.This has been my experience.

Offline Fisher Cat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 08:01:00 PM »
I've never skinned a bow, BUT I do know that tru-oil darkens things a little bit immediately (because it is not clear).  Urethane goes on clear and will provide better moisture protection than tru-oil.  - John

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 08:06:00 PM »
I've used Tung Oil.  Works great, looks real good.  Does look shiny though.  I ended up steel woolin' and sprayin' some satin clear over it to dull it down a bit.  Good stuff though.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©