3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Carbon users.!  (Read 737 times)

Offline notdodger

• Trad Bowhunter
Carbon users.!
« on: June 25, 2007, 08:14:00 PM »
What are your arrow , draw lenth , and poundage set ups??? I only ask because I have ruined enough alluminum shafts in the last 2 years too build a nice Starcraft fishing boat. Always when I am practicing. Never at a shoot of any kind. My woodies I only shoot once in a while. I hate to ruin a arrow that take me 6 hrs to finish with a very nice crest and feather splice. I need CARBONS. Not sure what kind to get. I would still like to keep 169 fps. Like my 2013's with a 125 gr. tip shoots. Something more durable on a simple miss. I shoot a Assenheimer recurve at a true 28 in draw. 45 lbs. split finger. A black widow tab.

Offline Jim/LI

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Carbon users.!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 09:19:00 PM »
Those 2013's bend and snap pretty easily.  Since you are interested in speed and mentioned shoots, I guess you are not looking for a hunting arrow, but are interested in target and informal shooting.  I would recommend the Beman Energy.  You will probably need a 690 or possibly even a 780 spine weight with a 100 grain point.  You will have plenty of speed at about 7 grains/# or a bit less.  If you are looking for a heavier hunting arrow you can try the ST Epic, 600 spine.  You will probably need a point weight around 145 grains.

Offline notdodger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 09:43:00 PM »
Yes target. And hunting too. I want to use my woodies this year for hunting . All though I did take my first whitetail last year with the 2013's. And they do bend easy.. Thanks.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 09:43:00 PM »
I would look at CX Heritage 150's; you'll probably need to keep them about 30" long, unless you want to put lots of weight in the front of them.  I find them superior in every way to the Gold Tip traditionals, but that's just my personal opinion.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 09:46:00 PM »
I'd say try the Epic 600. They ought to be just the ticket with your setup.
LeRoy

Charter member of TBJA (Trad Bow Junkies of America)

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 10:31:00 PM »
I shoot CX heritage 150's from a 53#@28 Chek-Mate Hunter II. Mine are 30" long and I shoot 125gr tips with standard inserts. They are borderline stiff for my setup but a little more weight up front would probably loosen them up a bit. They fly very well from my setup, unless I short draw. They weigh in just under 500gr.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »
For your 45#er I'd say Grizzly Stik Sitka or Beman MFX Classic 500. Both pretty tuff...but the Beman's are way cheaper, especially from Kustom King when you order online. The Sitka's are pretty tough though but pricey.
I shoot a 57# Morrison @ 26 1/2" and shoot the MFX 400's at 27 1/4 with 350 at the tip..100 grain brass HIT insert and whatever combo of adapter and broadhead I feel like that equals 250 grains.
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 10:37:00 PM »
i use 3555 trad carbons off a 48#bow at 28" draw but i only pull back 26 1/2" works good but after saying that i still bust carbons no problem.  :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 11:49:00 AM »
I am going to be following this thread very closely also. I have shot wood for years,and aluminium before that,(and wood before the aluminiums LOL)

My son Kevin and I shoot Mikuta longbows (48# & 53#)

I'm looking for carbons that we can shoot using a standard insert and a 125gr. point. I've kinda been thinking about the 3555 GoldTips.....
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 11:59:00 AM »
GT 3555 shoot well out of longbows up to 60# even when you front load them like I do(just under 400 grains in the pointy end). I'd say they would work as well out of recurves up to the high 50s. after about 58# I think I'd go up to 5575s and I'd really load them up in front.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 12:14:00 PM »
Check out the Carbon Express Thunderstorm SE. It's rated at 30-50# spine and weighs 8.6 grains per inch. I'm shooting them out of my BW PGA 50@27", my arrows are cut to 27 1/4" with a 125 gr point. Finished arrow weighs just under 400gr (I have a cap wrap on them also). They shoot like darts and are very durable. I've shot them all year, and have just slightly damaged one on a near Robinhood. I read someone had some at the BW factory and put them on a spine tester. At 28" they spined out around 57#. With a little tuning these will fly awesome from any bow 40-55#, and you don't have to leave your shaft 3 or 4 inches long to get them to fly correct.

Offline jonesy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 12:54:00 PM »
Try the Easton axis 500 very tuneable and shoot like a dream, the small diameter of shaft moves the arrow closer to center of bow. Jonesy

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 04:18:00 PM »
Well, the 150 would work but ya would have to leave it long and put at least 225 or more up front. The Axis 500s would need to be long and again at least 225 up front. The 600s mentioned should work but even at 29"s I would say ya need 150-175 up front. I shoot the 150's out of my 54# at 28.5" RER Arroyo, cut to 29.5"s and 175 grains up front. I have to disagree about the Chek-Mate up above, those arrows are not border line stiff, they are stiff out of that set-up.  Shawn
Shawn

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 04:37:00 PM »
I like the way my 35/55 GT Traditionals fly out of my two bows  They're cut to 27 5/8"s my draw length is around 27 .I shoot 175 Gn out of my Turkeycreek and 250 Gn heads out of my Horne's Brushbow.I also shoot the 250 Gn heads out of the Creek and see very little difference.The Creek is around 54 1/2 #s at my draw length and the Brushbow is 52 #s at my draw length.The Brushbow isn't cut to center the Creek is.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 05:41:00 PM »
I should also say the Heritage 150 are 10gpi. so an arrow made up with standard inserts and cap wrapped and all with 125 grain point would be 460 grains tops. Whatever ya do leave the carbons long, cut back a little at a time and play with point weight. Shawn
Shawn

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2007, 05:59:00 PM »
Not dodger,

I would start with GoldTips 3555 full length (30.25") and about a 150 grain point, or maybe as high as 200gr.  I'm shooting that out of a 47# Checkmate and they fly great.  If you can find the point weight you want, if it bareshafts just a little weak, cut the back end off only 1/4" at a time and put the nock back in.  With carbons you can get them nuts-on that way.  Found that out with Sipsey River vendor at a shoot that had a bunch of bareshafts already made up in different lengths - amazing what a 1/2 or less can do.  But once you find the length and point weight, fly great and very durable.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2007, 06:31:00 PM »
SOS and notdodger ya want the bareshaft to be a tad weak, that is what ya strive for because when ya fletch it up, it will stiffen it a tad. Shawn
Shawn

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2007, 08:07:00 PM »
Gold Tip Entradas in the 600 spine.5.7gns per inch and will shoot out of your bow without having to use heavy points.You can use regular points,nocks and inserts and not have to use half-out inserts on them.

Oh I see you wanted to shoot 169.These will be too fast.  :)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2007, 09:48:00 PM »
I also shoot CX 250s but I shoot them at 30" long out of 54# Stealth Recurve and shoot 125 to 200gr out front the fly good & penetrate very well Shawn is right leave them long then cut a little at a time till they tune you will have one tough arrow with at least 500gr to 580 gr and best of all you will have enough engery to harvest any animal you wish to tackle
Gord

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2007, 01:36:00 PM »
Shawn, I had my 150's weighed at the HH classic after shooting them through a chronograph and they were 496gr. That was heavier than I thought they would be but that's what the scales read. If I put 225gr up front I'd feel like I was shooting a hammer.LOL Anyway, they shoot pretty darn good with 125gr tips. I am however tempted to try an extra 50-75gr just to see if they fly better.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©