3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Confidence, shooting form, and a dead Rinehart ball  (Read 414 times)

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
Confidence, shooting form, and a dead Rinehart ball
« on: June 02, 2011, 11:38:00 PM »
This might be better off in the shooting forum but I'll post it here.

Let me start this off by staying that I'm posting this thread not to brag about my shooting.  I'm just hoping to give those guys and gals out there that might be struggling with their shooting some hope and help.

I've been at this game for over 12 years now and I've killed deer, hogs, a coyote, and draw down on two elk so I don't consider myself a beginer anymore.  But I still feel like I'm learning and trying to get better.  

Over that time, I've suffered from most every shooting malady that is talked about on this site at different times. Bad release, weak bow arm, twitchy string hand.  Heck, I've had target panic and had my shooting go to pieces when I'm out shooting in front of others on a 3D shoot. I've gotten stuck and gotten frustrated.

But I've kept plugging away and read a lot of books and watched all the masters of the barebow videos.  I've worked on my form and spent a lot of time shooting with others. Watching guys like Charlie Lamb, Tom Porter, and Terry Green's clock picture have helped me.

Now I'm getting ready to head to Quebec for 7 days of bear hunting with the Bear Quest crew.  I've been practicing a lot getting ready.

I've put the time in to know my form and I go back to it if things get shaky. I've learned to  trust my form whe the arrow is pointing at the target.  And most importantly believe in myself and have the fricking confidence to believe that arrow is going right where I'm looking. Visualize success and start seeing that arrow go right in the boiler room.

And tonight I'm feeling like I could drill that bear at 30 yards because thats just what I did out on the range.  For those of you out there that are struggling ... figure out your form, get squinty and trust your form to work. Having confidence in your form and trusting that form when the time comes will fix a lot of the crap people talk about with their shooting problems.

Heck book a trip with some of the folks here on trad gang.  Getting ready for a big hunt will help take your shooting to another level.  

I step this off at 32 yards after working on my form for about 10 minutes. That ball was a bear in my mind and his front leg had just stepped forward.    :)  

Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline JParanee

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Confidence, shooting form, and a dead Rinehart ball
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 11:46:00 PM »
Good shooting and good luck on your hunt
Morrison & Titan ILF & BF Extreme Limbs
Silvertip 1 Piece 57#-Silvertip 57#-Black Widow Ma II 61#&69#-Fedora 560 69#- 560 57#-560 60#-560 55#-Brakenbury Shadow 60#-Hoyt Buffalo 55#- Bob Lee 58#- fishing bows PSE's

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 11:47:00 PM »
I think it has something to do with the bow...my Zipper shoots like that too...  :D  

Well stated, haveing positive thoughts and trusting your abilities goes along way.

On the 3-D course, strutting turkey targets and standing bear targets are my nemisis.....Most likely because when I walk up to the target, I tell myself I am not going to shoot well...and thats what happens.

Good shooting Chris and good luck with them bears!  Looking forward to some hero Pics.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 11:50:00 PM »
Good post and shooting!  I'm finding more and more that confidence is a key part of many of life's pursuits.  It doesn't guarantee great results, but a lack of confidence just about guarantees poor results.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 12:12:00 AM »
You're ready Chris!  My shooting always seems to fall apart just before I leave for a trip.  I put too much pressure on myself and go into panic mode and it justs goes downhill from there.  

One year I got so carried away that I started trying to switch up my arrows, etc. to fix things.  I calmed down, went back to the basics like you suggest, and it all came back.  

I still can't shoot like you though!!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 12:24:00 AM »
Whip,

Your right you don't shoot like me....you shoot better.  I think you have the hero pics to prove it!

You also sound just like me.  I started shooting my broadheads last week and it got me a little twitchy.  Always seems like it does at first.  Just like you I can get a little tight when the days count down closer to leaving.

This time I knew what to do where as before I would have started panicing.  Going back to form brought me right back to where I needed.

Limbender and Over and Under...you guys said it much more concisely than I did.
   :thumbsup:  

CK
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 12:28:00 AM »
Confidence is the name of the game. You have to have basic good form and well set up equipment. After that, confidence is what makes it all happen. The best shooting days for me are those when I don't think about anything....I just shoot. When I start thinking about and trying to fix individual parts the results are usually worse than when I "just shoot".

Good Luck on the bears!

Bisch

Offline Ari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 12:32:00 AM »
I love shooting at a ball it makes a great moving target and keeps me focused.

I find when I feel like I'm shooting bad I just need to get that confidence back and hitting that ball really helps.

Offline cthorsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 01:09:00 AM »
Reminds me of a piece of latin I heard in a movie:

"Amat victoria curam"

Loosely - "Victory favours preparation"

Way too much of my what I think i know comes from the boob tube.
Good luck on your hunt!

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 01:21:00 AM »
Great shooting Chris.  :thumbsup:  Looks like your ready. Looking forward to some pictures when you get back. Good Luck !!!

Bill

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 02:21:00 AM »
Good shooting and wize words.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 06:34:00 AM »
Very nice shooting!!! And good luck on the hunt!
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 06:50:00 AM »
Good luck on your bear hunt Chris.  Looks like you're ready both mentally and with your shooting.  Enjoy your trip, take plenty of pics, and be ready to tell the stories when you return.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 07:13:00 AM »
:archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 07:53:00 AM »
Good luck Chris, sounds like you are ready. Nice shooting,Good Hunting.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 08:04:00 AM »
You give me hope, sir! I seem to have struggled with the same things you have.

Awesome shooting, by the way!

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 08:13:00 AM »
Absolutely no bragging in your post, Chris.It has taken me alot of years and alot of headaches to realise the points that you and others have made.When I was getting started it would have been nice to know someone who could have explained things the way you did.I guess the struggle is all part of the journey.It makes it that much more sweet when we finaly realise what is important in traditional archery, as well as in life.
Good luck on the bear hunt.I'm sure you will have a great trip.The Zipper website needs some more bear pictures!  :thumbsup:  
Bill

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 08:20:00 AM »
Know proper form, shot execution and follow-through and then commit to the shot.  As you go through your shot sequence do each and move to the next without revisiting any of the previous steps. In other words, without second guessing.

When it is easier done than said, you're in the zone.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 12:03:00 PM »
Way to keep at it Chris. Consistent form and steely confidence are the keys!
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »
I don't know Chris, you were shooting lights out, out here a couple years ago  :)  Great shooting, hope to see some good stories from you and Porter when you get back. Good Luck!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©