3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: El Cheapo TD Longbow Build Along - Finished!!!  (Read 1387 times)

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: El Cheapo TD Longbow Build Along - Finished!!!
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2007, 05:18:00 AM »
posted by SOS:
by abusing the rental car was able to enjoy stuff like this:
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:  

ALL very very nice! Keep going on please!

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2007, 05:51:00 AM »
OK I want one!  :readit:    :bigsmyl:    :goldtooth:    :biglaugh:  And please no more I forgot the pics.<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Teacher_of_the_Arcane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2007, 07:40:00 PM »
Steve,

We need a $$ figure on your consumed materials.... some of the things you've purchased can be used on the next bow you build...just how cheap is your bow??  :archer:  

Lobo in West Virginia
Lobo Lohr -- Old School Hunter

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2007, 07:49:00 PM »
This is very cool!! How much time and I mean actually working on the bow time do you have in it at this point? Great Job!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2007, 08:04:00 PM »
I realized somewhere in here I lined up the limbs with a weighted string, marked the limb tips so the string crossed the center of the riser, laid out the limbs and used an old band saw blade and a fresh belt on the sander to rough out the limbs.  And yes....can't find any photos of that!

Time to glue some overlays over the holes in the limb butts and on the front of the riser as well.  First thing is don't throw anything away.  When you cut the angle for the limb pads, you end up with 6-7" wedges of riser wood - walnut here.  A little magic with the band saw:

and here:

and you have some overlays.  Set up a sanding drum on your $33 drill press from Harbor Freight, clamp a piece of wood for a fence, and sand your overlays smooth.

:thumbsup:  

Slice up the wedges into overlays, keep the leftover glass from the limbs and any little chunks of phenolic, and you can do all sorts of stuff.

I shaped some walnut for the limb overlays - made it angled for an "artistic" touch.  Now I planned to make my limb bolts like on my ChekMate bows instead of using beveled washers.  Just like the look...and gotta be different.  So epoxied on the walnut followed by partially shaped chunks of phenolic:

While this was curing, I sanded the front of the riser to a smooth arc then epoxied/clamped an overlay of limb black glass and walnut to the front.  Meanwhile I had traced the shape of the riser and limbs and started playing with a pencil deciding on shape.  I wanted a good locator grip for shooting consistency yet try and keep a little smooth longbow shape to the riser - not too big, dramatic or bold like some recurve riser.  Settled on a shape and band sawed it once the overlays had cured.  Also drilled out the limb bolt holes and used a countersink to match the limbbolt diameter.  I found that I had to play with the countersink as the angle on the bolt doesn't match the countersink...strange!

Here's the roughed out product!

Looking good!  :thumbsup:

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2007, 08:25:00 PM »
Shawn, I'm not sure of the time I've put into it.  A lot cuz it's been fragmented and I'm learning and playing.  I figure based on my billable hour's at work, this things gotta be worth about twice a Black Widow with nice wood!  :biglaugh:  

Teacher, I'll try and add up everything at the end and divide it up with materials that actually went into the bow and stuff I can reuse.

Gotta go, my bride called upstairs, but she did say to brag about how well the bow is shooting....you'll just have to wait on photos.
  ;)  
Steve

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2007, 08:55:00 PM »
Steve,don't know how much you'll have in the bow,butthe first deer pic with your new bow will be priceless!!
 Lookin good,my friend!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2007, 09:26:00 PM »
Yup, best build-a-long on here in a long time! Very nicely one! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2007, 09:30:00 PM »
Its really looking neat. Now break is over get to it. More pics!
High on Archery.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2007, 10:43:00 PM »
Com'on I KNOW YA GOT MORE PICS,you're holdin out!  :D
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2007, 06:04:00 AM »
c'mon already  :rolleyes:    :rolleyes:    :rolleyes:  PICS!LOL<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2007, 02:16:00 PM »
Can't wait!  Really is coming together! Hey, if you wouldn't mind I would like to see some plans for the sanding jig for the wedges. Cheers, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2007, 05:19:00 PM »
Another look, this a first brace:

And this is first draw:

Guess this photos should have come right before the roughed out riser....oops....again.

I'll work on getting some photos of my "custom adjustable wedge grinder" - can you say, "Hi-Tech, Baby!"?

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2007, 05:28:00 PM »
And someone asked me another time, why the nice grass except for huge dead spot right there!  That is courtesy of a 15 year old, sweet'ol fat black lab that is too lazy to make it to the natural areas anymore.  That is the closest grass to the back door.  We're just glad she's still with us so I gave up trying to get her any farther!  Here she is after a fresh roll in the sand on a camping trip 3 months ago!  Ought to bottle that urine and give RoundUp a run for their money!  :p  

:)

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2007, 08:57:00 PM »
I could probably have cut my nocks down some more, but I stink at shaping nocks and I got them where the looked smooth and even.  I can always whack on them some more later.  Only have B50 string material, but would like to try one of the non-stretchy types.  One photo's blurry, sorry.

Contructive (or even obnoxious) criticism welcome on nock shapes....or any part from that matter.  At worst you'll hurt my feelings and I'll try.  Best, I'll get better at this stuff!    :bigsmyl:  

Time for more sanding on the riser and some shaping of the limbbutts.  Thanks to everyone that posted their TD longbow riser photos a couple of weeks ago.  Helped me decide where to go with mine.  I'm not too good at this artistic shtuff!

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2007, 09:55:00 PM »
I like the nocks, they are a nice even look!! If ya do not keep it, send it my way. It would be a keeper in my book!! Nice Job!! Shawn
Shawn

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2007, 10:15:00 PM »
This is not criticism at  all,see where your string makes the bend comin off the nock? That is where your string will wear,I know cause my nocks look just like that most times!! LOL

Looks like a very good cheapo bow!! GOOD JOB,I love cheap bows!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2007, 11:08:00 PM »
Kenny,

Should I just round that corner off some more or try to cut the whole thing at a sharper angle?  Anyone have photos...guess I could look at my own bows!  :knothead:

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2007, 08:03:00 AM »
I like to make a curve thru there so there is no sharp corner,don't know if thats right,just the way I like to do it!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2007, 04:19:00 PM »
Does this look better on the nocks?  I think so, you just get worried that you don't know when to stop filing.  I don't want to string it up to look at it cuz the wood gets full of wax.

May need to even it up a little, but getting there.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©