3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: plungers , rests or raised plate ?  (Read 408 times)

Offline Bails

• Trad Bowhunter
plungers , rests or raised plate ?
« on: June 04, 2011, 12:41:00 PM »
Its looking very likely that I'm going with the Hoyt Excel Riser , but it has a flat shelf , so which Route do I go with arrow launching ? . Do I go with Rest , raised shelf and plunger ???????? . I've only shot off the shelf before , so some pictures would be very helpful and appreciated .
We are here for a good time , not a long time .

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: plungers , rests or raised plate ?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 01:07:00 PM »
I don't have any pictures of my Hoyt Dorado that I used to have but I used a Cartel rest & plunger on it, you can tune it a lot easier than with a shelf arangement.

You can shoot off the shelf with that risor by giving it a raised spot above the deepest part of you grip on the shelf & then cover it like you would any other bow shelf but then you would have to build out the window area a pretty decent ammount to accomodate for the beyond center that the risor is cut.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline ProArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 02:52:00 PM »
The 3D shoots around me take you out of TRADITIONAL and put you in Bow hunter if not shooting off the shelf. I would think about a feather rest (3 Rivers has them)

http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=3577
People need to get a life. That dose not mean to take someone else’s, or to make one they can't support.

If you fish and hunt only to catch or kill something. You have MISSED THE POINT COMPLETELY.

Offline Bails

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 03:19:00 PM »
I'm liking the I idea of staying as Traditional as possible .

Offline Bails

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 03:22:00 PM »
Liking the feather rest option , will order some from 3 river , as well as ordering a bear weather rest just incase I change my mind ..... I live in UK and would have to wait weeks if I didn't like the feather rest , so I will bulk order on some different types and materials . I'd like to stay as close to Traditional as possible . Thanks Pro and Eugene

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 05:48:00 PM »
Defining "traditional" is something that has been hashed out here over and over and over, until the dog got sick.
If clubs find a need to classify gear for the purposes of competition then that's up to them. But, personally, I wouldn't say a plunger rest on a recurve is any less "traditional" than no rest on a wood bow. They're simply different gear.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
"Beauty is in the eye of the BOWholder" God Bless!!

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 08:23:00 PM »
Back in the 50's and 60's rests and plungers were very popular. That was before the word traditional or compound even existed as it related to archery. Back then it was important to be as accurate as possible, not as traditional as possible.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
My dad used a Weather rest on his K-Mag for thirty years.Nobody ever said a thing.Use what you want.Good point Bill.

Offline Avid Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 11:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bill Carlsen:
Back in the 50's and 60's rests and plungers were very popular. That was before the word traditional or compound even existed as it related to archery. Back then it was important to be as accurate as possible, not as traditional as possible.
Well said Mr. Carlsen.

Offline rdoggsilva

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 02:37:00 AM »
Mr. Carlsen you hit the nail on the head. I stated shoot archery back in the mid 60's, and alot of shooters used a rest.

Offline Bails

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 06:38:00 AM »
Thanks Guys , you've given me some food for thought and lots of options to try . I may even give the rest and plunger a try , I'll try anything to improve myself , my performance and my shot , but want to keep it simple as possible .

Cheers again .

Dave

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 06:46:00 AM »
I use a flipper rest and a stick on felt chair leg pad for a side rest on my titan. I have a burger button that i have tried. I like the elevated rest for the simple fact that I can shoot vanes, no more worrying about hard rain and the effects it will have on feathers. The only thing I don't like about a plunger is that it sticks out the side and can get hung up on your clothes as you bring up your bow. I could just see that becoming an issue at the wrong time while a deer approaches. You could also use a felt chair pad for a rest and a strike plate, they are cheap they hold up fantastic and change out quick.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Bails

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »
Hi stone Knife, which elevated rest do you use for your vanes, just curious , I like the look of the timberdoodle. I will be using feathers.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 05:30:00 PM »
I use the NAP Flipper Rest-II. I have shot feathers and they fly awesome too. If you use an elevated rest you can shoot feathers most of the time but carry a couple arrows with vanes for bad weather. I know a lot of guy's say they don't hunt in a hard rain but I'm a working man and have to make every day I get off work count.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 12:23:00 AM »
The cavalier champion two rest would be a good choice for that riser. It's a very adjustable rest that gives Very minimal  fletching, vane  contact. You will need to use a plunger in conjunction with it. Traditional to me means a bow with one string, no cams. People always say you need a perfectly tuned arrow,  (you owe it to the animal) and I agree. But then turn around and say if you use a rest and plunger to accomplish perfect arrow flight, then your not traditional or that you can't shoot in there 3-D class. That should be enough to tell you a rest and plunger is an advantage! Not traditional  I'll never understand that one!

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 12:28:00 AM »
I like the "brush" rest. I have used them on my recurves for years. Vanes work fine of it. Back in '72' I bought some arrows with vanes. An old timer turned me on to the brush rest when the vanes bounced of the shelf. I get mine from Black Widow or 3Rivers.

Offline redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 12:45:00 AM »
Good to see your still kicking Tom, I use the the Neet-Pro stick on rest, it has a metal side plate that wares real good if you shoot carbons.
Larry

Offline Bails

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2011, 01:38:00 AM »
Some great options here Guys , I can see a shopping list accumulating at 3Rivers  :)  . I had looked at the Cavelier Champion 2 rest , will do some more vthinking before committing .

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2011, 02:07:00 PM »
One of the most rugged while still being very forgiving.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©