3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I would tweak my equipment to gain X FPS?  (Read 326 times)

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
I would tweak my equipment to gain X FPS?
« on: June 04, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »
Just a question.  Something like fast flight string - everyone has switched for 5 to 8 feet per second???  How much in feet per second would it take for you to make some minimal change in you bow, bow string, or arrow?
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I would tweak my equipment to gain X FPS?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 05:34:00 PM »
I have adjusted things for an additional 2 fps.  Fiddling with different pieces of your equipment can led to an extra 8 to 10 fps. I prefer to have my bow and arrow system be as efficient as I can make it.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 05:43:00 PM »
Fast flight and low strand count strings can give five to eight FPS and sometimes more, but think about this, deer are jumping the string on 300fps compounds regularly documented on camera so how important is 5-8 fps on your stickbow really?
 What a FF or LSC string can do that is of more benefit is shoot quieter, and you can trade that 5-8 fps for a slightly heavier arrow at the same speed as the previous set up with more momentum and penetration. I make my own strings and shoot 6 strand up to 55# and 8 or 10 above that, I trade the extra fps for more arrow and less sound. There's no need to chase a few fps on a stick bow...for me.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »
There's no need to chase a few fps on a stick bow...for me. EITHER.....

and all I'll say on the matter so I dont rile those that feel otherwise.

It is completely   :deadhorse:  to ME is all.

God Bless
"Beauty is in the eye of the BOWholder" God Bless!!

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 06:50:00 PM »
Hi Todd,

Check out the last video on Onestringer's web page here:   http://www.onestringer.com/index.php?page=mods/Video/index   "Bow String Comparisons".  

I just jumped up in speed quite a bit from what I can tell but it was due to going from 54#'s to 60#'s - new bow.  I think the best we can do is to optimize arrow flight and therefore penetration, and we do that through perfect form.  I see that more and more during my practice sessions since our class with Rod.  When my form is perfect, my arrow flight is perfect and it buries deep in the target.  

BTW, most people can see a change of +/- 2fps.  So in that respect, I guess I would change something minor for 2 fps or more.  Nothing major though, except maybe a new bow  :rolleyes:
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »
BTW, most people can see a change of +/- 2fps

:laughing:  

sorry.......I'll say no more but

WHAT?????????

I dont know ANYONE that can SHOOT within 2fps shot to shot...let alone SEE.

Out of here on this one. Ill rile the lot of you on this subject. Just be REAL on this. There ARE new trad shooters reading.

my heavens
bye
God Bless
"Beauty is in the eye of the BOWholder" God Bless!!

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »
I chose a fast flight string because it allows me to shoot a stiffer arrow. The few feet per second gain in speed was a just an added small bonus.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
To me, extra FPS means more to me than just speed.

It means more energy and efficiency transferred to the arrow which translates to better penetration, as long as you aren't shaving grains off of your arrow to get it.

David McLendon, you are correct about a few FPS not making a difference in deer "jumping the string". But I'll take a few FPS more for added energy any day at the small cost of a little adjustment or other minimal change. But, I'm talking only about a string change or strike plate adjustment for added performance and NOT taking away weight from my arrow, or increasing draw weight.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 07:39:00 PM »
Thought this was traditional?
Must of stumbled across a wheelie thread!
Come on give me a break.  Is 2 - X FPS gonna make you shoot any better?  
Its the archer's form and consistancy that hits the mark.
I'm with SlowBloke on this one!
Johnny/JAG
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 07:44:00 PM »
"It means more energy and efficiency transferred to the arrow which translates to better penetration..."  This is exactly why I want to do IT.  My question remains, "what is it?"  Don't know if I'd change for 2 feet, but probably surely change for 5 to 8.

I want to do some tests.  And I'd like to have a number to go by so I can can the idea or run with it.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »
When I had to drop weight from high fifties to 50# I also went on a quest to get the greatest efficiency from my set up. The point is not to get the fastest arrow; but how can I get my current arrow going as efficiently as possible ( See? I didn't use the 'F' word so as to not upset the guys with the 20 strand Dacron). Why is that important? To continue to make effective humane kills. By working on my release and tuning my equipment I got the equivalent of 10# of bow weight meaning I made the 8# drop in bow weight and ended up with more power than I had at the higher weight before the switch.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 08:10:00 PM »
Bjorn,    :thumbsup:    :clapper:

I couldn't have said it better myself.
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
3 Fingers Under

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 08:15:00 PM »
C'mon JAG, what's wrong with getting the most efficiency out of a given bow at the cost of a little tinkering, such as a string change or some other minor adjustment?

Does this alone make us any less "traditional" than you?......."A wheelie thread"? Gimme a break man!
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
3 Fingers Under

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
The same string change that will give you an additional five to sometimes whatever fps with your existing set up ( which by the way after a string change like that is going to cause your arrows to show really weak in spine)will propel a heavier arrow at the same speed and trajectory with increased momentum, energy and penetration and be quieter as well. That is a way bigger improvement to me than a piddly few fps and that is why I do it.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »
Much depends on what one wishes to accomplish
Just my observations:
Takes  ~15 fps or  ~100 grain difference for me to adjust my site window starting at ~20 yards.
Takes ~ 11 fps or 75 grain difference for me to adjust my site window starting at ~ 25 yards.
Takes ~ 7.5 fps or 50 grain difference for me to adjust my site window starting at ~30 yards.
Takes  ~4-5# increase in draw wt for me to notice while I am positioned well w/I my comfort zone.

If switching strings gained merely 2 fps per second, but significantly quieted a bow down, then I am for it.
If a more efficent set-up allowed me to shoot arrows 75 grains heavier at the same fps, then I am for it.
If a more effiecient set-up permitted me to lower wt due to physical need, then I am all for it.

** Others may have their own justifications that are more worthy than my own.

Modifications may be cumulative and to be worthy, for me personally, must be discernable and not merely on paper.  Note: Frequently, minor  modifications produce no discernable gains and end up only effecting your wallet.

It is a good thing to understand what you wish to accomplish.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2011, 10:20:00 PM »
Bjorn, thank you for the eloquently making the point that I was going to make. I am a big guy and can shoot 65 or 70 lbs.  I am also steadily becoming an older guy and want to keep my shoulders in one piece.  I shoot 55 lb bows by choice.  By changing and optimizing my set up I gained 10 fps, quieted my bow, and gained penetration thru better energy transfer.  The extra 10 fps is the equivalent of shooting a 60 to 65 lb bow depending on design of the bow.  For me it is a matter of personal ethics to shoot the most accurate bow I can with the most efficient set up I can.  

If we all held to any fiddling or new thing was not traditional, we would all be shooting self bows, knapped heads, and self made arrows.  If you shoot a modern bow with glass or carbon in it presenting an argument that looking for a little more speed and efficiency is not traditional seems a bit off.  Modern limb materials are exactly what makes modern bows faster and more efficient than "traditional" bows, and most of us seem to love those wonderful modern designs.

I say to each their own.  If you're a fiddler like me, then have at it and enjoy it. If your not a fiddler, then stick with what works for you and enjoy shooting what you have in hand.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2011, 10:27:00 PM »
Shoot4thrils, Not condeming anyone, not calling anyone less traditional.  Just my observations over the past few years.  Same arguments made on the "modern" bow sites, years ago.  Same mind set, that there is a quick fix for everything.  Heck tinker with ya'lls bows all you want.  Its your equiptment.  Maybe I'll see you in the woods this fall.  Good luck and happy hunting.
As Forest said, Thats all I'm going to say about that.
Johnny/JAG
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2011, 11:21:00 PM »
The previous two post exemplify the bond of or band of brothers.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2011, 11:44:00 PM »
Speed in a stick bow for me is not about just speed, saying my bow shoots so fast or thinking I will shoot faster than a critters reflexes.  I like all the speed I can get within reason.  First I want a quiet bow.  Then I want great penetrations and flatter trajectory if possible. I shoot more accurate at longer ranges with a faster bow.  I may not shoot game that far out, but it helps with the foam.  Can’t hurt with the critters either if I am off my estimation a couple yards.   I wouldn’t spend endless hours and $ trying to pick up a couple feet per second, but I don’t mind shooting a quicker bows with a faster string and well tuned arrows.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2011, 11:50:00 PM »
In the hunt for perfection we try other things some work for us and other do not, in the end I am not as good as I am going to be!
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©