3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: TRADGANG FUN SHOOT ROUND TWO...  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
TRADGANG FUN SHOOT ROUND TWO...
« on: June 04, 2011, 06:38:00 PM »
All right lads and lasses, gird your loins and cinch your girdles, this next round will test your fortitude and your pluck (that's a pun).

The target will be a standard sized paper plate or tortilla, or cantaloupe, or whatever you have.  You'll need to draw 3 circles:

The 10 ring will be quarter-sized.  
The 8 ring will be 3", or the inside of a roll of duct tape.
The 6 ring will be 5-1/4", or the raised ridge on the paper plate.
The 4 ring will be 9", or the rest of the paper plate.

If you cut a line, you get the higher score.

The distance will be 10 yards, or 30 feet, or 9.144 meters.

You will be be making 4 shots, taking around a minute between each shot. No slinging arrow after arrow.  You can use one arrow, or four, but you must "reset" yourself after each shot.

Now for the stance and body position.  Take a mental trip with me for a second.

You're in the Cohutta Wilderness. You're quarry is formidable.  His 6" tusks are as sharp as if sharpened on a whet stone.  His black hide is caked with mud; his massive, scarred shoulders and sides are the mark of his dominance and his willingness to challenge all foes. His ears are torn, as is his tail.  He's not afraid of challengers or of the dogs he's tangled with.  He is 300 pounds of pure evil. He is Sus Scrofa.  He is wild boar. He is your foe.

The alders are thick, obscuring your view for more than a few yards.  It's misting, so your steps are muffled, but you're still having to go painfully slow. The slight breeze is in your face.  Hog sign is everywhere. The soft wet soil is overturned all around you.  You just passed two huge oaks with muddy rub marks 3 feet high.  You take a step and remain motionless.  You sense something close.  You slowly raise your binoculars and scan the brush ahead.

Suddenly, a surge of adrenaline shoots through your body.  Your scalp tightens, your pulse quickens, and your breathing stops.  Did you just hear something? What was it? Your imagination? No! There it is again! A shuffling of leaves. It's coming from that large stump 30 feet in front of you.  You get a whiff of a strange odor.  It's a stink, a foulness, like a filthy, wet, mongrel dog.

You focus all of your energy in the direction of that stump.  The alders are thick. You crouch down to get a better view. You spot movement! What is that?

Suddenly, your mind wraps around what you are seeing.  There, a mere 10 yards from you is your quarry.  He's laying on his side at the base of that large stump.  His belly is towards you and he is unaware of your presence.  You have a clear view of the balding patch between his front legs.

You have to make this shot count.  The alder is too thick, but you won't find a better shot. You can't kneel. Your feet are in amongst a snarl of roots and vines.  You'll have to shoot crouched. With the undergrowth, you'll have to hold your bow almost parallel with the ground.  Quick, make the shot! He's stirring!

It won't be easy and may the heavens help you if you miss.

To recap:

10 yards
4 shots (take 1 minute between shots)
shoot crouching with your bow canted to almost parallel with the ground, like you're shooting under a table.

If you miss completely, throw your bow to the ground, squeal like a little girl, and sprint to the nearest tree.  Don't climb it, though.  You don't want to look silly.

Good luck.

Offline JohnnyWayne

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: TRADGANG FUN SHOOT ROUND TWO...
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »
Will get em shot and posted tomorrow, awesome job on bringing us to "the moment"  :)

:thumbsup:
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
-The Way of Kings

>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Aunty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 08:02:00 PM »
i nervous just thinking about that pig   :scared:

Offline SlowArrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
Great story, I'm in the mood now!
Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
Ronald Reagan

TGMM Family of the Bow

Psalm 19:1
The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by looper:
.... Your scalp tightens, ...
Whew...I thought I was the only one that felt that!

:thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 09:35:00 PM »
I'll get this one done tomorow.

I like how you put it Looper
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
Ah good one. Will do it on Monday.
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline nschlag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 09:57:00 PM »
i shot in this exact position the other night after my wife had told me to come in numerous times.

this is the only position i can shoot from and stay crouched just under the window out of her view   :bigsmyl:  

advantage me!

anyway, sounds like fun, i will get to it sometime next week.
06 Black Widow PSA III
Clark Longbow

Offline Osage61

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 10:33:00 PM »
HOW DOES IT END ?!?!?  HOW DOES IT END?!?!?
   :bigsmyl:  
Dang just as I was getting into it, the story ended......
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Pro Pelle Cutem"-HBC

Offline gto_guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
I`ll get mine in tomorrow.Sounds like a rush
62" Checkate Hunter II 43lbs at 28
64" Dry Ridge longbow 58lbs at 28
62" Vermillion River longbow 57lbs at 30
58" Lost Creek Life Ender 50lbs at 28

Offline SlowArrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 10:54:00 PM »
You worry a bit about your form as you draw your bow, this is not a position you've practiced much - right now you wish you had.  You can see the flight of the arrow in your mind, traveling from your shiny new bow through the alder and right to its mark.  You consciously hold that image in your mind as you reach full draw.  You are totally focused on your spot, but for the briefest of moments the reality of the moment, the size of the beast, the awkwardness of the shooting position flash through your thoughts.  A slight shiver betrays your body just as you release the string.  The bow was silent as it launched your arrow, and your quarry is still unaware of the your presence or of the arrow now hurdling towards him at nearly 200 feet per second.  But the arrow's flight is off the smallest fraction of an inch by the time the arrow leaves your bow.  It seems like an eternity for that arrow to close those 30 feet.  The beast is still laying there when the arrow arrives.  it is clear to you that the small fraction of an inch error at release has now grown to several inches.  

The shot is high and glances off his shoulder and disappears into the alder in the background.  Your foe is now on full alert looking for his attacker.  The slight sound of an arrow tapping the side of your bow as you remove the next arrow from your quiver surrenders your position, and this 300 pounds of enraged primordial fury begins his charge.  He moves amazing quickly through the alder, quicker than you ever imagined, and he is upon you before you can find the string with your nock.  You are knocked back hard by his impact, landing flat on the ground.  You reach for the knife hanging from your belt in a desperate attempt to fight back, but it is too late.  The razor sharp 6" tusks are now mere inches from your throat.  Your realize that this is going to end poorly.  

You are suddenly aroused from your sleep by the blaring of your alarm clock.  You rise quietly for the hunt, trying not to wake the whole house - but unable to shake the vividness of that dream. You think to yourself as you lace up your boots.....maybe I should practice a few unconventional shooting positions during warm-ups today.

Sorry to hijack the wonderful intro story - but I just had to finish it with my thoughts as I came back from shooting my four arrows.  The story was still in my mind, and I shot pretty poorly.  It just made me think how much I need to improve......and what might have happened.

I wanted to be the first to post results, since it is likely the only way I will lead one of these fun shoots......even if for only a short period of time.

Ronald Reagan

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SlowArrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 10:58:00 PM »

So I score that 2x6 and 2x4 - an even 20.  But I get to take the lead (until the next score is posted)  :bigsmyl:  

These are fun!
Ronald Reagan

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Rusty Snuffers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 11:31:00 PM »
Umm yea... this is a little better than what I had in mind.  Thanks for shooting a tighter group than me, Looper.   :D

I'll post my score as soon as my chiropractor can get this knot out of my neck and shoulder.  Grr...

Rusty
Black Widow PSA V 48# @27"
Samick Deermaster T/D 50# @28"
Dale Dye Good Medicine 50# @27"
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."  JRR Tolkien

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 12:04:00 AM »
Just so I understand... stoop over low and hold your bow horizontal to the ground and kill the pig?

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 12:09:00 AM »
Yep. Or, if you're old and stooped already, just hold your bow horizontal and shoot:)

Here's my group:

That's 28 points.

Offline Aunty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 03:17:00 AM »
That was so much fun i could have sworn after shooting i had a blood trail to follow lol looper that is some fine grouping.
Score 30

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 03:26:00 AM »
That's a nice group yourself, Aunty.  It's not an easy shot.  You've got a good score, and it'll be tough to beat.

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2011, 07:02:00 AM »
Nice shooting folks, I'll get mine shot and posted this evening if nothing happens.

Great shoot setup looper!

Offline Osage61

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2011, 07:48:00 AM »
This is a "no warm up" shoot, correct?
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Pro Pelle Cutem"-HBC

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2011, 07:57:00 AM »
Missed out on round one. Can I get in on this one?
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©