3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: good silent bow  (Read 365 times)

Offline Aaron2k5

• Trad Bowhunter
good silent bow
« on: June 04, 2011, 10:31:00 PM »
My Damon howatt makes a springs noise, which I assume is normal.  It has silencers and brace height is good. I was wondering if longbows are fairly silent. Im really weird and I think I want a super stealth bow. Only people that go to my range shoot compounds, so mine is the only one I've heard. I've been thinking about moving to a longbow anyway. Anyone got any suggestions? I don't have a lot of money but I was thinking about saving up and getting an hh

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: good silent bow
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 11:17:00 PM »
Hill style bows are very quiet. Not the fastest bows in the world, but they point like a Colt 1911. Truth be told though, get the arrow's nock fit looser to where it is just holding on but not snapped on, tune the arrows so that you are not smashing the fletching into the riser at the shot, ie tuned. And go shoot some game.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 11:17:00 PM »
Double post erroR

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 12:36:00 AM »
What type silencers are on the string? When I once owned a 68" hybrid longbow, it was "twangy" without string silencers on it. I put a pair of yarn wool puffs on the string and it became whisper quiet upon arrow release.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 12:39:00 AM »
My acs or my ziper longbows are extremely quiet.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 01:12:00 AM »
My Howatt had two sets of cat whiskers and limb tip groove padding and that bow was very quiet.

Not as quiet as my Apex Predator Ossabaw longbow though... which is silent.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Chuck Wyatt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 08:24:00 AM »
What Swampthing said....Hill style bow.

Even more quiet...Hill longbow and hickory arrows with well broke in fletch.

Even quieter....Hill bow with solid fiberglass arrows (cut down from fish arrow), worn fletch, mole skin shelf, string spiders.

You go that far though and arrow trajectory looks like a rainbow.   :)
I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way. -Mark Twain

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 08:25:00 AM »
any longbow - only the string loops touch the limb nocks and there's no string/riser slap such as found with recurves.  if you want recurve-like performance, seek out an aggressive r/d longbow.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 08:40:00 AM »
I suggest that you let someone else shoot your bow while you stand back and listen to it. All of my bows are quieter than what I perceive them to be.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 08:49:00 AM »
Yes, you will find that longbows are in general quieter. I thought my Pronghorn was quiet (and it is), until I got my Big Jim Thunderchild. A buddy and I were shooting yesterday, and he was shooting his Pronghorn, and he commented on how quiet the Big Jim was. Heavier arrows seem to produce less noise, too.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline wapiti1997

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 09:19:00 AM »
3 under is noisier than split finger release too.
P&Y and B&C Measurer
RMEF Life Member
UBK Life Member

Offline Aaron2k5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »
Do most of you adjust how the knock fits? I wish I could get a close up picture on this mole skin shelf, I bought some and I'm trying to figure this out. Should I do the skin on shelf and plate? Or moleskin on shelf, velcro on bottom?

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Aaron2k5:
[QB] Do most of you adjust how the knock fits? ...
I think most of us do. Tight nocks affect arrow flight.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Aaron2k5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »
Should I just run some sand paper through it a little until it releases easier?

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
is your bow a take down or a one peice

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 02:48:00 PM »
If the bow is F/F approved, maybe try a nice skinny string w/padded loops.
   A Stringfollow Hill Longbow, pick a shaft any shaft they are hush hush. Have'nt tried'em with a skinny string yet. Mine even with 18strand FF and 8gpp arrows is very quiet, the dacron string just makes a lower tone. Backset ones have little more tension at brace height so the string may be ever so slightly higher pitched, still pretty quiet though, and, plenty quiet in my book. Of course the above setups do not wear ANY string silencers! At all! The only noise you'll get with a tuned Hill bow is the feathers going past the tiny riser.

Offline Aaron2k5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 05:45:00 PM »
I think I'm getting close. The arrows are fish railing up and down a little bit now. The velcro after 60-70 shots is already burning. Does this mean I need to raise knock point or lower?

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2011, 05:49:00 PM »
Aaron,
  Your Howatt is a recurve and using yarn wrapped around the "Y" or "V" on the loops down about 4 to 6 inch's or just to the point where the string stops touching the limb grooves will not only Quiet the bow but padd it..Also using the two tied on over and under nock and of course the correct nock for serving size will also help in making your bow super quiet...So many ways to quiet a bow and for the yarn idea I do my own and discribing it is hard but Terry Greene has those for sale on here and I hope he chimes in ...He doesn't charge much but I think he even has a little instruction sheet to show you how to apply them...If you have yarn and know how to serve a string it's kind of like that...I did it and added a over/under tie on nock on my latest strings and what a world of difference...Placing a wrap around limb style quiver on your limbs sometimes will soften the limb vibration or a slide on model even...Many good answers here so find what works best and don't part with a really good recurve trying to find something quieter...That bow should be very easy to quiet...God Bless, Keefer's <><

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2011, 05:50:00 PM »
You may want to look in to shooting a heavier arrow also.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2011, 05:51:00 PM »
If they're going up and down, it's called porposing, and you would need to raise your nock point, unless it's already very high, in which case you might try lowering it.  If they're waggling side to side, it's called fish tailing, and you would want to raise your brace height.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©