3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wrist Slings for Trad Bows  (Read 1305 times)

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
Wrist Slings for Trad Bows
« on: January 12, 2007, 08:17:00 PM »
I watched a Good DVD yesterday "DEAD ON" by Scott Antczak!! He had a How-To-Make-A-Sling for your Recurve or Longbow.
   I just wondered How Many of You Fine Folks Use this Kind of Sling, or Any Other Sling?
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline TimberBound

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wrist Slings for Trad Bows
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 08:24:00 PM »
I've used all manner of slings with my Fita recurve and have used a wrist sling when I shoot my hunting recurve with sights. I found that the wrist sling really doesn't do anything, so when I shoot barebow, I tend to not use one. I find that unless you use a long rod stabilizer, loosly gripping the bow gives much more control than letting the bow's weight rest upon the sling after the shot. With no stabilizer or only a short one the bow doesn't fall right for me to use a sling, and wrist slings are the worst of them all.

TimberBound

Offline White Oak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 09:18:00 PM »
I have always shot with a sling.I shoot with my bow hand almost open and applying no pressure to the sides of the grip. I ordered my latest recurve with a stabilizer bushing because I use a sling. Not sure what brand it is. It's just a piece of leather that bolts into the bushing. It has a couple of holes on each side of the riser for a rope to pass through.

Good Huntin,

Ed

Offline SilverTip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 10:44:00 PM »
I use a wrist sling on every bow I hunt with. the biggest use I have for it is that it helps while I carry the bow. I just let it hang while I walk and rove hunt, you dont have to grip the bow all day long that way. It makes a big difference at the end of a day for me. Im gett'in old

Billy
If Jesus Christ guides your arrow, its really hard to miss.  Billy

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 10:07:00 AM »
I shoot using a modified form of Scott Antczak's method.  I made one of his slings and shoot with it to a degree, but haven't decided if any improvement for me is worth fiddling around with it...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 10:25:00 AM »
Hey NDTerminator! I would Like to See Your "Version" of that Sling, if I Can that is?
 As I have a Fuzed Left Wrist, I think it would Greatly Improve My Accuracy because I shoot with the High Wrist Grip.
  Thank You  ALL  for Your Input!! Only on  TradGang!!   :wavey:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Gottabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 10:46:00 AM »
Never used a sling but after watching the vidio "Dead on " I'm gonna do some messing around this summer with the sling and two fingers under deal.

Offline MMilin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 08:18:00 PM »
My brother and I, both of whom shoot with Scott Antczak regularly, started out with slings at Scott's recommendation.

Neither of us uses a sling now.  Didn't seem to do anything for us.

But, you need to try a sling.  It costs a couple of bucks to cobble on together.  If it works for you, hurray.  If it doesn't put it in a drawer and try it another day.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 10:28:00 PM »
I used one when I first started shooting it taught me to loosten my grip up I removed it after a month or so I used a piece of leather string that a friend of mine had that is into crafts.  You can also use climber accessory chord, found at REI or a surplus store. for less than a dollar

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©