3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: You Thoughts on Black Widow  (Read 1834 times)

Offline BoonRoto

• Trad Bowhunter
You Thoughts on Black Widow
« on: June 06, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »
I have been thinking about picking up a PSAX for a while now but I am hearing some severely contrasting opinions on Black Widow's present day quality. Not that they don't look nice but rather they have performance issues.

I know most everyone will say shoot one and decide for yourself and I will but I would like others opinions as well since not every bow is the same and in Black Widow's case not built by the same person. I want additional opinions to add to my cupboard before making a decision.

I have some really nice bows so please don't try to sell me on something else, I am asking specifically about Black Widows PSA or PSAX.

Thanks

Offline COLongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: You Thoughts on Black Widow
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 03:24:00 PM »
What do you mean by "performance issues"?

If you mean speed, all the test results I've seen show good fps. Not the fastest out there, but right in the ball park for a given draw weight.

Widows are well-made, accurate and tough as nails.
BW PCH III

His servant

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 03:28:00 PM »
I will tell you this:  I shot a SAII for 14 years and loved it.  I bought a PCH last year and its even smoother.  I think if anything, the quality may have gotten a bit better.

I was able to shoot several different BW models on a bear hunt with Toby and Roger this past fall, and they were all a pleasure to shoot, esp the PSA.

This is my 2 cents.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 03:30:00 PM »
Hello there. Ive been shooting a PAS V for years and have not heard any thing about performance issues. It is not the fastest out there and dose not claim to be. Im 56# @ 31" and at 11 gpp i get about 185 to 188 fps. The one thing i like is it is a beautiful bow and is also a tank, i have no doubt it will out last me. As far as customer service their reputation speaks for its self. If you find that a black widow fits you you will not be disappointed
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 03:30:00 PM »
For 1000+ bucks on some of them, I'd sure hope it performs.

:bigsmyl:

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 03:31:00 PM »
I am more than satisfied with my two widows.  

And while I may not be as "in the loop" as other guys, I do follow the online forums, and I have never before heard claims that the present-day performance quality of BW bows is inferior to past quality.  While that is always a possibility in the case of a long-lived product, I've not heard of it so far in the case of BW.

I am interested in the responses that you will get on this thread.  

Archie
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »
It is a fine bow made by a fine company.  I have never heard anyone who owned one say any different.
Also, they have the coolest name and logo in archery.

Offline Stryder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 03:47:00 PM »
I own a PL V and a PL X.  And I just ordered a new PCH X.  IMO the quality is outstanding and the customer service is as good as it gets.  Both my PLs are smooth, quiet and fast.

I visited the Widow Works last Spring.  Just a small warehouse in Nixa MO.  I was suprised at how small the operation really was--like six folks.  All of them were bowhunters and most of them were cowboys.  Got to meet Ken Beck as well ... and he is one class act (and retired).
R.C. Chandler
[email protected]

Offline Flatshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »
I have owned several PSAX bows over the years and love them! I have also owned a PTFX,SAX and several PL's. Although I am partial to the recurve, all performed exceptionally well in my opinion.  The SAX was a bit light due to the absence of phenolic in the riser and limbs and so I didn't like it as much as the PSA. I currently own a PSAX cocobolo riser with spalted yew limbs. The bow is 62" draws 55#@30 and is a pure pleasure to shoot. I have heard some talk about the PSA as noisy and difficult to quiet. That has simply not been my experience. I take a great deal of time setting up my bow and make my own strings as well. I find 2 sets of woolie whiskers (I make my own) to be the best silencers for my bow. Brace height is 8 7/8", string knock set at 5/8" above center. Bow is fast, smooth and whisper quiet. Bow workmanship is excellent and customer service is unmatched. I enjoy shooting high end bows and I have owned several over the years. I currently have a Blacktail on order so I am not just a Black Widow shooter. Norm's bows are certainly more of a custom bow because there is a great deal more hand work involved in their construction. Limbs are not interchangeable like the Widows but both are exceptional in my mind! You can't go wrong with any of the PSA's in my opinion. The X model has bamboo cores and is touted to be slightly faster than the birch cores in the 11,111 and V. Hope this helps.

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 03:52:00 PM »
Ive owned 3 and have liked them all, and still own one ! Sweet bows ! BTW, Ive had 2 SA's and 1 PSA.
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Offline BoonRoto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 03:54:00 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys.

I really don't want to let in on the specifics of "performance issues" because I don't want any biased responses just your own experiences. I will say, I am not talking about speed but rather the way the bow shoots and feels.

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 04:06:00 PM »
you will not be disapointed! BW offers a couple of options on grips. if you get a grip that fits you! you will be impressed with the way the bow shoots and feels

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 04:11:00 PM »
Not the fastest....not the best looking, but one of the finest bows you can buy. Great customer service and just fine people to deal with. If you think you want a certain bow by all means you should get what you want. I have had a few of them and they were just great!! In the last year I have shot a friends PCH several times and it makes me think I should get another.....lol!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 04:14:00 PM »
Buy a used one, shoot it for a while. If you don't like it trade it or sell it. You will never have a problem selling a widow. Depending on your draw length and weight, expect mid to high 170's to low 180's with 10 GPP. Most have a smooth draw past 28 inches with no hand shock. They are cut 3/16" past center which makes them sweet to tune and not very picky about spine. Ma's and Sa's tend to have a tad more weight then most bows but that can be a benefit. Some folks gripe about widows being loud, like most things in life there is always more then one way to remedy the problem. Hope this helps....

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 04:16:00 PM »
If how a bow shoots and feels is a "performance issue", then I don't know of any bow that doesn't have "issues". I'm a little puzzled by the question.
I have a PSAV and, yes, I've had bows that are both less and more sensitive to shooting form errors. I'd highly recommend them to any intermediate to advanced archer; but a beginner might want to learn on a more forgiving style of bow. Personally, I find them to be a great compromise between speed and stability as well as about the most bulletproof bow out there.
I too have toured the Widow works and am also puzzled by your comment that the bows are not made by the same people. At least when I toured a few years ago, one person did all the layups, one did the tillering and another did the finish work. And yes, while a person lays up the riser, a machine cuts it; perfectly every time.
All that said, why not just take advantage of their "try before you buy" program? For a few bucks in shipping you'll have a definitive answer. I wouldn't worry about the difference between bows; I shot a BUNCH of then during the course of a 3 day seminar there and there wasn't a nickels difference between any of the PSA's that I shot.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Online Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 04:28:00 PM »
I have had three different PSA bows from them, as well as a PCHX which I am shooting now. I have nothing bad to say about any of them. I Like the PCH the best, but I like a bow that is light and short for hunting. I don't think you can go wrong with a Widow.

I will also add this, I have had two Widow's with Bamboo limb cores and two with action wood limb cores. And while some will say they can't tell a difference, I think the Widow's with the Bamboo core has a much better feel. The Bamboo just seems smoother during the draw.

As others have said use the try before you buy. However, don't try one unless you want to buy one. Because after you try it, you will want it.
Good luck
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline nschlag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
i have a psa III and i love it. i just got a pa today and like it even better.

as others have said customer service is second to none. i don't know how far you are from nixa, but a roadtrip to the shop would be worth your time. i took a tour of the shop, shot tons of bows and had a blast just talking with roger.

can't go wrong with a widow.
06 Black Widow PSA III
Clark Longbow

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 04:53:00 PM »
I couldnt tell you of any quality issues. They make a great product consistently.
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
When people say Widows aren't fast what are you comparing them to?  Bowreports have them 194 fps with a 9 grain arrow.  The fastest I ever seen was 199 fps.  And Widows brace height is over a inch higher.  Seems pretty darn good to me.

As far as performance issues.  I dont know any and I've been shooting them for some time now.  From old MA's to new PCH's.

Offline BoonRoto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 05:03:00 PM »
Swamp Yankee, "If how a bow shoots and feels is a "performance issue", then I don't know of any bow that doesn't have "issues". I'm a little puzzled by the question."

Some bows have more issues or more pronouned issues than others, I have been told by more than a handful that Widows are one of those bows, is that a little more clear?

I wanted some additional opinions on whether or not otheres belive the above comment to be true.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©