3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: You Thoughts on Black Widow  (Read 1836 times)

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: You Thoughts on Black Widow
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 05:09:00 PM »
I have owned at least 10 BW recurves all made between 1995 and 2007..including a 60" MA, some 58" SA's, a 56" and a 58" TF, and some CNC 58" PSA's and a 54" and 2- 56"PSR's too. some had maple "actionwood", the newer ones had "actionboo" or birch actionwood.. all were nicely made,solid feeling and smooth drawing. I could not tell the difference between core woods.
 2 years ago I sold my bow collection and have been making my own bows, I still have not made one as sweet as that 52#@28" 56" TF I had...

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2011, 05:12:00 PM »
I think perhaps you should PM some of us who have replied and tell us exactly what your "performance" issues are and let us respond...  This hanging a comment out there without direct reference seems a bit disparaging to me.
I own:
1 MA III 45# @ 28”, 62”
1 PL II  44 # @ 28”,  64”
1 PLX 51# @ 28” , 62”
1 PF 50# @ 28”, 62”

In no case in any of the bows listed above are there any performance issues.  The occasional operator error does how ever occur.

I also have been to the “Widow Works” and again, I feel questioning quality by the fact that there is more than one person involved in the production of their bows is frankly, “a bit out there.”  

Let’s hear what you are really talking about.  PM me… as you can tell I am pretty frank in my thoughts and will provide you with an honest opinion as regards your question.  I am an old guy and have been shooting this stuff for a long time…..
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2011, 05:19:00 PM »
I would add that the quality may have increased now that they CNC mill most of the bow components.  The consistency is replicated through automation.  That may be a negative to some, but to others its an advancement.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »
Really, what it comes down to, is "shoot one and decide for yourself."  Even though it sounds like a copout, it's true.  Every well known bowyer, Black Widow, Bob Lee, Robertson, Morrison, and all the others, will have some customers who love their bows and buy more than one, and other customers who wonder what all the fuss is about.

At the moment, I own 3 Black Widows.  I have owned more than that in the past, and have sold some of them, but am unlikely to sell any of the three I still own.  In fact, one of the ones I still have is a 65# BW that is really too much bow for me at my age, but I shot my first deer with it, and it is such a wonderful bow that I just can't bring myself to sell it.

I also own bows by the other Bowyers I named, and they all shoot different from each other.  Even the Black Widows shoot different from each other.  I honestly think you could take two PSAX Black Widows made from the same lams to the same specs and they would shoot different from each other, because they are each made out of a living product, wood, that doesn't entirely lose its individuality when you cover it with fiberglass.

You may buy the PSAX and love it and want to keep it all your life like I do my old SAII.  Or, there may be something about it you don't quite like, and you may end up selling it for a few hundred dollars less than you paid for it to someone else who will want to keep it all their life.

But one thing I can guarantee you is that the folks at Black Widow, as with the other bowyers I mentioned, put their hearts and souls into their bows, and each of them does everything that is humanly possible to make the best bow they can make for you.  And that's a lot, as they are all expert bowyers.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2011, 05:34:00 PM »
They really are an excellent bow. You would be very unlikely to get a bad one.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2011, 05:39:00 PM »
Don't have a psa but have a pma and there just is not an issue with it that I can feel.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BoonRoto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2011, 05:56:00 PM »
Huntschool, relax, I am not bashing their product in any way shape or form just passing along what I have heard in an attempt to find out if it is commonplace or anomaly. Go back and read my opening comment, I don't feel as though it is accusatory at all. Again, I am just trying to gather opinions on Black Widows overall performance and so far it would appear to be almost entirely positive.

In regards to your "out there" comment I never stated that I felt multiple people working on a bow would render it inferior(your jumping to conclusions), I was trying to communicate that consitency would be harder to maintain with multiple operators as opposed to a single Bowyer. As a result I could see how varying shooting experiences could be more likely to exist.

Again, I didn't want to relay specifics because I didn't want bias. I wanted to see if others would communicate the same negatives I had heard in conversation, with locals, about recently built Black Widows.

Offline BoonRoto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2011, 05:58:00 PM »
Thanks again for the comments, like I said I will surely be shooting one or two or more before arriving at an opinion but I wanted current and past owners thoughts as well.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »
I think performance is different to all. I had a Black Widow SBS 60" 44# @ 29", at the same time I had and still have a RER 58" recurve 44# @ 29". The RER is faster, is not fussy on arrow spine and just a super bow,And out performed the Widow on all counts! That being said, the SBS was silent and had good cast and in all honesty, I wish I had never sold it. The psa I had was a fantstic bow, if it had been lighter I would still have it!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »
Pm sent....
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2011, 06:46:00 PM »
BoonRoto:

I am good... sent ya a PM
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2011, 06:52:00 PM »
With any product as big as Black Widow bows and out there as much as they are, you are bound to get some negative feedback. As you can see from all the responses here, there are extremely few negatives.  I have owned 6 widows, and still own four. I wouldn't put too much stock in your 'handful' of doubters. They are stellar bows with unbeatable service.
Ken Thornhill

Offline KevO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2011, 07:09:00 PM »
I've shot several different bows over the year's.  None of them have been near as smooth as my PSA III! Period. I have nothing bad to say about them.

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
Owned 5 since 1994, you can't go wrong with a Widow and great people to deal with.
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Offline GraniteStater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
The only performance issue I've had with my PSAX
is that it shoots better than I do.  Very consistent bow, most consistent I've shot to date.
1Peter 5:6,7

Offline carpenter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2011, 08:07:00 PM »
Top of the line
Howard Hill Wesley Special  HH Halfbreed

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
A good solid product, backed up by excellent customer service by some very fine people. They are bowhunters just like the rest of us and when you call them, they understand what you are saying.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline RUSTY1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
UGH!! Another one. I think this has been beat to death.    :deadhorse:    All I know is I love mine and at the end of the day that's the only testimonial I need!!!!     :cool:
R.J. Fens Jr.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BoonRoto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies and the pm's!

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
Owned 5 since 1994, you can't go wrong with a Widow and great people to deal with.
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©