3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: You Thoughts on Black Widow  (Read 1837 times)

Offline SBBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: You Thoughts on Black Widow
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2011, 09:31:00 PM »
I just got my pma back Febuary.I don't think i could find a negative if i wanted to and as for as customer service top notch. Never owned a traditional bow till now you won't be disappointed.

Offline TimDougan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
You can't do any better listen to the posts above. Sound wisdom. TD.

Offline Mike Yancey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »
I have one of their new PCH recurves and have had it less than six months and already taken two animals with it. I feel that it the easiest bow to shoot out there, as far as a recurve for hunting goes. Tough and well made easy to point and shoot very smooth drawing.Great people as well as great bows.
Mike

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2011, 10:28:00 PM »
My PCHX is by far the best shooting bow I have ever shot, bar none and I have owned a lot.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Spurs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2011, 11:47:00 PM »
I like to think that I  am unbiased because I am still new enough to this that I am buying and trying every bow that I get my hand on.  Saying this, I have developed my likes and dislikes.  I have owned Morrison's, Shafer's, and black widows.  I have shot blacktails, acs, bear, hoyt, pse, browning, and like I said, anything that someone will let me fling an arrow through.   I will share some of my likes, dislikes, and my current conclusions.  This just reflects where I am in archery at this point.  

My first bow was a loner longbow.  It was like 62".  I liked it, killed a deer with it. My second bow was a Black Widow PSAX.  I loved the weight, very smooth draw, and was quite fast.  I sold it because I hated the asbell grip.  I could hit anything I looked at with this bow.  I was extremely accurate, but did not know that the grip didn't suite me, and that I didn't have arrows spined correctly so I sold it.  I would always hit up and down, but be left no matter what.  

I have and still have several other high end brands.  I have much better form these days.  I understand how to tune.  There is one thing that stuck in my mind.   I know that I like a low grip, and a heavy bow, and that I was still as accurate with the Black Widow as I am with any of the others that I have today.  And these have my favorite grip, and properly spined arrows.  I will say that no bow should cost 1000 bucks or more, but that hasn't stopped me from buying. So joke is on me I guess.

Saying all that to say this.  I have a Black Widow PCH on order.  I have shot every grip they offer, and every recurve model from psa, ma, to pch.  I have shot heavy hitters, and light lb bows.  I settled on a 58" pch because it was super smooth, seemed quietest, loved the low grip, and has mass weight.  It feels like I am part of the bow when I shoot it.  They all were fast.  They all were not smooth, nor quiet, but one thing remained constant, no matter how bad the vibration or loud the noise, they all made me look like a decent shot.  I thought well, isn't this what it's really all about is making a good shot.  They may be made on a machine or whatever, but these guys know how to make a tough product that performs accurately.
I like Spurs

Morrison Mini ILF copperhead skinned
Morrison Shawnee copperhead skinned

Offline JDunlap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2011, 12:34:00 AM »
Interesting thread.... Makes me want to try another widow. Had one about 17 yrs ago, it was nice.
Sandy Biles Scorpion TD RC; 54@28
RER XR Static Tip RC; 50@28
JC Optimus riser/Uukha EX1EVO2 [email protected]

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2011, 12:54:00 AM »
BoonRoto,
I believe that whatever you have heard is simply untrue. JMO

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2011, 02:08:00 AM »
Fast, accurate, and noisy ! I love mine!
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2011, 02:22:00 AM »
Only 20% of my bows are widows; PSAIII, PAX, and PCHX. I can find absolutely no fault with my Black Widow bows.  While I love my Schafer, Rose Oak, Robertson, and Bear Takedowns from a practical standpoint I had no reason for buying another bow after buying my first widow.

The workmanship is terrific, I think they look great, especially the "X" models if you like exotic woods. They are hefty and dead in the hand compared to EVERY recurve I own. They shoot well enough to be practically boring at times. I know that is weird and I can't really explain it.

I don't have experience with most bowyers. However, I know of no recurve that is more quickly produced with better quality. Actually, the Pittsley Predator may be another.

Offline mobiltoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2011, 07:49:00 AM »
If you look on any forum or talk to many people you will find someone that has a complaint to point out. I love my pchx as much as my green stripe 70's bear hunter. My bw shoots straight and is made deadly quite with lambs wool.
There are much more positive things about these bows than the negative. Go to the shop and shoot several. Good luck.

Online ShooterF150

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2011, 07:52:00 AM »
I like  my P T F X   shoots  good too  you  should test shoot one  and see   for yourself  mike

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2011, 08:12:00 AM »
The bows prove themselves. What you get with a purchase is one of the finest companies to deal with. These guys are top notch!!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2011, 08:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by RUSTY1:
UGH!! Another one. I think this has been beat to death.     :deadhorse:     All I know is I love mine and at the end of the day that's the only testimonial I need!!!!      :cool:  
Razzlefrats, I think we all took the bait on this one.  We're all debating "issues" without any details in the interest of "no bias" answers?  What the heck is THAT supposed to mean?  I'm disappointed in myself for sticking my nose into this fray; over and out.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2011, 08:20:00 AM »
LOL! I almost bit on this one myself Swamp Yankee.
 Looked like fishing to me.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2011, 08:29:00 AM »
I bought my first Widow MA on 1990,since then i sold and bought other Widows and I have seen the quality arise.I can compare them with other 13 Top Custom bowyers and they are among the best.Not fast demons but very dependable,very accurate and you can make them really quiet with a good skinny string.You can't go wrong with any Widow product.By the way my first 1990 MA is still launching arrows pretty good.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Hippie Chris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2011, 08:48:00 AM »
My SAIII  autumn Oak is the prettiest bow and I shoot the lights out of it. Thought about buying other bows but can't seem to let it go.
"Sneak and Destroy"

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2011, 08:50:00 AM »
Great customer service, tough as nails and a great performer.

Will not win the speed race, will not win a beauty contest, but you will not find a tougher bow in the industry, the Timex of the bow world IMHO.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline LarryWalling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2011, 09:06:00 AM »
I've owned all models, and loved them all, MA 3, PL5, PSR 5, and PSA 5, although getting the newer PSA to finally shoot quietly was a labor of love. Their best quality in my opinion is that they are build to be tough as iron!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2011, 09:18:00 AM »
I have learned, any bow not tuned right has performance issues.

I was ready to throw my first bow on the ground until someone showed me the way, then I loved the bow!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline BoonRoto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2011, 09:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by Swamp Yankee:

Originally posted by RUSTY1:
UGH!! Another one. I think this has been beat to death.       :deadhorse:       All I know is I love mine and at the end of the day that's the only testimonial I need!!!!        :cool:    
Razzlefrats, I think we all took the bait on this one.  We're all debating "issues" without any details in the interest of "no bias" answers?  What the heck is THAT supposed to mean?  I'm disappointed in myself for sticking my nose into this fray; over and out. [/b]
I thought we already sorted this out through pm Swamp...... I thought we were cool but you have redrawn the line. If you can't understand the question I certainly have no interest in your opinion.

This was simply an inquiry, you guys are WAY to sensitive and quick to jump to conclusions. I haven't made ONE accusation in regards to the quality of Black Widow Bows, I consciously attempted to be discreet in regards to how I posed my original question in an effort to keep this thread from appearing to be a slam on Black Widow Bows. Why an inquiry? Beacause I am considering buying one! Forgive me for being diligent.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©