3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: You Thoughts on Black Widow  (Read 1833 times)

Offline BoonRoto

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: You Thoughts on Black Widow
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »
To everyone else, thanks for the insight and opinions.

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2011, 11:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by BoonRoto:

Originally posted by Swamp Yankee:

Originally posted by RUSTY1:
UGH!! Another one. I think this has been beat to death.        :deadhorse:        All I know is I love mine and at the end of the day that's the only testimonial I need!!!!         :cool:    
Razzlefrats, I think we all took the bait on this one.  We're all debating "issues" without any details in the interest of "no bias" answers?  What the heck is THAT supposed to mean?  I'm disappointed in myself for sticking my nose into this fray; over and out. [/b]
I thought we already sorted this out through pm Swamp...... I thought we were cool but you have redrawn the line. If you can't understand the question I certainly have no interest in your opinion.

This was simply an inquiry, you guys are WAY to sensitive and quick to jump to conclusions. I haven't made ONE accusation in regards to the quality of Black Widow Bows, I consciously attempted to be discreet in regards to how I posed my original question in an effort to keep this thread from appearing to be a slam on Black Widow Bows. Why an inquiry? Beacause I am considering buying one! Forgive me for being diligent. [/b]
For what it's worth, I've never recieved a PM from BoonRoto.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline BoonRoto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2011, 11:34:00 AM »
Swamp your right I apologize for that, I got you confused with someone else.

Remove the first sentence where you quoted me above and the rest can remain.

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2011, 11:40:00 AM »
who in their right mind could "slam" a Black Widow Bow anyway? That just doesn't make sense unless you never had the pleasure to shoot one and are just guessing.
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2011, 01:02:00 PM »
I think that this has been a profitable thread.  I personally have a very high opinion of all things Black Widow.  There was a lot of room here for negative comments, but they were mostly absent.  As they say, "The proof is in the pudding..."  I can't say that I didn't expect this kind of response.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline The Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »
I have a performance issue with my PCHX. I bought it hoping that my taxidermist bill would go down and intead it has gone up!!!! LOL!!!(shot recurves before, but, I hung up the wheelie for good 2 years ago when I bought the Widow) It performs too well, I can't seem to pass on anything and if I kill it with my Widow, I want it mounted. Mine is smooth and quiet. It shoots 10.9 GPI (613grain)at 180 fps. I don't want faster because, I can't see the arrow flight if it's much faster.

Offline longbow55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2011, 02:55:00 PM »
Now that you have 5 pages of positive comments, and by the way I shoot a SA III that I bought in 1999, and have never had an issue with, why don't you tell us what your concerns are. Maybe we are missing something, or pin point the answer you are looking for. I've thrown mine through bushes after a bad shot, dropped them out of tree stand, and it sounded like it hit every step on the way down, left it strung in my truck on 100 degree days. It still performs just like a brand new one. Could not ask for anything more.
I always hit where I'm aiming, but rarely where I'm looking.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »
OverPriced....... thats just my opinion of course.
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2011, 03:16:00 PM »
Because there are several out there in 'used' land there are some fantastic deals on a regular basis. From what I've seen it would be pretty easy to save $300-500 depending  upon the model and whether exotics are involved or not.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2011, 03:19:00 PM »
They are great bows and I dont even have one. Ive shot quite a few but they dont fit my hand well so I shoot other bows better. Now the dozen or so guys I hunt and shoot with have or had maybe 25 or so widows over the years and have NEVER had any performanc issues, they just dont know what wood, length, poundage or model they like best.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline BoonRoto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2011, 03:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by longbow55:
Now that you have 5 pages of positive comments, and by the way I shoot a SA III that I bought in 1999, and have never had an issue with, why don't you tell us what your concerns are. Maybe we are missing something, or pin point the answer you are looking for. I've thrown mine through bushes after a bad shot, dropped them out of tree stand, and it sounded like it hit every step on the way down, left it strung in my truck on 100 degree days. It still performs just like a brand new one. Could not ask for anything more.
I think thats fair. I have certainly heard more positive than negative but the negatives I have heard are: Considerable Hand Shock, Very Noisy, Production bow with lack of attention to detail and believe it or not I have had some describe their poor experiences with BW's customer service. Some of these negatives have been told to me by mutiple individuals and some have been isolated. I have shot some Black Widow Models but never a PSAX or PSA and thats likely what I would buy if I ended up with one. Like I said, I am just looking for information. If I would have listed my concerns with my original post I can't imagine the backlash I would have encountered and the intention of my original post likely would have been lost. Thanks all for the comments.

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »
I've owned threee Widows and there the bows I compare everything else to .My SA111 does everything its suppose to and shoots way better than I do.I love it.There will always be a Widow in my stable and its usually my GoTo bow.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »
I think you have been misinformed.  I own a PMA and PLX and have found just the OPPOSITE to be true.
No hand shock, not noisy, excellent fit and finish (attention to detail), excellent customer service!  Black Widow gets an AAA+++ in my book in every aspect.

If you can visit the BW shop in Nixa, or visit their booth at an expo, you'll agree with all of the above.  

Then.....when you open that long box from UPS and lay your hands on a beautiful PSA that says, "Custom Made for Andrew Hare" you'll be a believer for life!  :biglaugh:
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2011, 04:12:00 PM »
Ive heard people say they think Widows are noisey well all mine are not.
  Ive never heard anyone say that they have handshock.  I've never heard anyone say that they have lack of attention to detail.  But without a doubt and I've oreded alot of custom bows, would like to hear about someones bad customer service from the people at Black Widow.  I'm sorry but I call BS.

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2011, 04:22:00 PM »
I'm not at all a fan of widows. Way overpriced for what you get IMO, not great performers, and not attractive, but that is just my opinion. That being said, I know they make a high quality product that has stood the test of time. There are just a LOT of other bows out there that I like much better, many of them that I consider superior for less money.
BD

Offline DELTA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2011, 04:31:00 PM »
BOONROTO,I shoot a PSA 65lb @28" 600gr arrow, it shoot about 213 fps.I think they are the best bow out there.I bought it in 1987.But remeber its not the speed that kills,its accuratecy.  :archer2:
JIM BELLEVILLE

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2011, 04:51:00 PM »
Another thought: What bow company's product has killed more game than Black Widow? Maybe Bear or Martin, but only maybe.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »
Considerable Hand Shock, Very Noisy, Production bow with lack of attention to detail and believe it or not I have had some describe their poor experiences with BW's customer service.
It surprises me that anyone would say a BW had considerable hand shock.  The PSAX you're considering is a r/d recurve that is heavier than most comparable recurves.  You wouldn't expect hand shock to be an issue with a bow with that design, and in fact, no BW recurve that I have ever shot has had any noticeable hand shock.

The BW bows that I have owned have been noisier than I would like.  You can quiet them down by shooting a heavier arrow than I like to shoot, but given the same arrow weight, they tend to be noisier than my other bows.

BW is more of a production bow than other custom bows, in that BW uses computerized equipment to cut out risers, etc.  It has not been my experience that this results in any lack of attention to detail, and I consider my BW's to be finished as well as my bows from the other well regarded bowyers I mentioned in my first post.  In fact, I think you get the best of both worlds here, in that the components are made with a higher degree of precision than other bows, but the finish is equal to other bows.

I have dealt with BW for more than 20 years, and have never been disappointed with customer service.  I have visited the factory and met the people who work there, and they probably recognize my name when I call, so maybe I'm biased.  But they've always made me feel like dealing with whatever I called about is the most important thing they have to do at the time I call, and they've always gotten it done.

BW bows tend to be priced on the high side compared with other similar bows.  There are a few bowyers whose bows are considerably more expensive than BW's, however, with much longer wait times.  I've shot some of these extremely high-priced bows, and wonder how they can keep doing it.  I mean, if BW bows are 10-20% over the price of a comparable bow, some of these bows are as much as double the price of a comparable bow.  I think BW has earned its premium through a long record of dependability and resale value.

I realize your main question is whether BW has declined recently as opposed to what they may have been in the past.  I ordered a set of limbs from them for my PMA about a year ago, and several small orders within the past year, and haven't noticed anything different in quality or service from the past.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline BoonRoto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2011, 05:15:00 PM »
McDave, thanks for the infomrative response.

I think my concerns have been addressed and alleviated. Most of you have been very helpful.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2011, 05:50:00 PM »
While I no longer own a BW due to a personal grip mismatch, it is great to see the masses supporting these fine bows of the past and present.

BW strives not to have one dissatisfied customer, yet with humans as we are and the vast number of customers, it is inevitable that a wheel may develop a squeak from time to time.

Nothing still beats try before you buy. If she is a match, then you have struck gold.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©