3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: When do you say "good enough"?  (Read 845 times)

Offline adirondack46r

• Trad Bowhunter
When do you say "good enough"?
« on: June 26, 2007, 08:35:00 AM »
I have been on an arrow tuning mission for the last month or so. Found some carbons I liked, (CX Heritage) and got them to bareshaft nicely with Shaun's help. Had them fletched up with 3 5 " vanes and everything is looking pretty darn good.

I find, however, that every 5 or 6 shots - sometimes more frequent, sometimes less - I will get a little flip of the fletch this way or that. More often than not I get arrow flight straigter than Rosie O'donnel headed toward the buffet but sometimes I see anomolies.

I'm sure some of it is inconsistnet release. And I have a couple of arrows that just seem a little unruly. Part of me says this is good enough, but the perfectionist in me says I want to get every arrow flying perfect every time.

Where do you stop? I know this is an ongoing process, but when do you say good enough? In my wheel days I would not accept any anything but perfection, but that was with a release and a whisker bisket, etc., etc.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: When do you say "good enough"?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 08:37:00 AM »
Number your arrows and see if the same ones are the culprits each time. If they are, weed them out and use them for stumping and such. If not then you know you still have some form and release issues that you need to work out.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 08:39:00 AM »
You say "GOOD ENOUGH" when it is good enough for you.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline adirondack46r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 08:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by vermonster13:
Number your arrows and see if the same ones are the culprits each time... weed them out and use them for stumping ...
Good suggestion. One thing I have noticed is that I have some arrows that I could shoot standing on my head and they would still fly straight. I have been setting those aside for my broadhead tuning and practicing with the others.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 08:47:00 AM »
Yes, those would be your hunting arrows and the ones for serious practice before the season starts. You have to have confidence in the ones you plan to use for killing.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 08:52:00 AM »
Are you using plastic vanes,,If so you could be gettin some flip from that,,
TGMM

Offline adirondack46r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 08:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by whitebuffalo:
Are you using plastic vanes...
Nope. 3 5" feathers.

And when I say "flip" I mean something just barely discernible. Point of impact in the target is good and the arrows are generally all parallel in the target as well.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 09:05:00 AM »
Any extra glue at the front of the fletches of the flippers? Sometimes it's just a little thing making contact that can cause anomolies.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 09:26:00 AM »
With carbons, (unless you made some up differently on purpose or mistake),  if some fly good and some don't, its you.  Have someone film you shooting with comments on good and bad flight.  You may find your cause.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 09:30:00 AM »
Also, relax and shoot them for a while.  You can micro manage your tuning to the point that you are more concerned about flight than form and mess things up.

Who cares if your arrows fly perfectly under laboratory conditions, right?  You want them to fly perfectly for you, under hunting conditions.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Tree Ghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 10:04:00 AM »
Screw some broadheads on the shafts, and you'll find out real quick if there good enough.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 10:27:00 AM »
tree ghost beat me to it.. screw on broadheads
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 10:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by bowdude:
With carbons, (unless you made some up differently on purpose or mistake),  if some fly good and some don't, its you.  Have someone film you shooting with comments on good and bad flight.  You may find your cause.
Hey there Bowdude....i hate to contradict your statement.....but i've spent many years building carbon shaft comp arrows, and there are a lot more differences from shaft to shaft than most people think.... for the "Average" archer they are pretty darn close.....but if you check exact FOC, weigh and spin ballance each shaft....depending on shaft quality and make...there ARE a lot of differences that would cause a variation in arrow flight....espeacially to the pefectionist or a comp shooter....Been there done that......Kirk

Offline adirondack46r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 04:05:00 PM »
Tree Ghost, Dave Lay,

Good thought. I put some broadheads on and the result was that some flew perfect nearly every time.  Others were consistently sub-par in the flight dept.

Conclusion: all fly great some of the time, some fly great all of the time, but not all fly great all of the time. The trick is finding the good performers.

I think there must be some minor variations in the fletching, and or wraps, and or arrow uniformity.

I'm not going to agonize over it too much. I am just going to weed out the under performers and go on with life like Vermonster suggested.

46r

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 04:43:00 PM »
Sometimes while I'm practicing I'll have an arrow fly or shoot badley....
    I'll swear that something is wrong with it, and go pull that arrow only and go to the same spot and shoot it again (thinking of good form) And low and behold it will shoot fine and striaght to the bulls eye....
    "So sometimes it's not the flaw in the Arrow"
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2007, 05:45:00 PM »
Bob, do not worry about it. If you saw most guys arrow flight, you would be amazed. I cannot believe how many guys say they are getting great flight and it is not acceptable to me. We all and I mean all(even the best shooters) get those little whooptie doos. If you are happy than all is well. Unless you are shooting indoors a slight breeze will effect things sometimes. Shawn
Shawn

Offline adirondack46r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2007, 06:16:00 PM »
Thanks Shaun. I have been shooting outside in a bit of a breeze. I did find one cracked nock that was adding a bit to the mix. All in all things do look pretty good.

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2007, 06:39:00 PM »
I second Mike-try taking a little break every couple of shots. Sometimes I get a little on the "rapid fire" side and my arrow flight suffers, but I may not count cause I shoot alums.

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2007, 06:53:00 PM »
I have benn thinking the same thing, Bob, I've been tuning about two weeks now. I have to be honest with myself, I can only tune as good as I can shoot. That being said, I know I have form issues, and my arrows fly staight with a Snuffer on (most of the time), so now , get better at shooting.
Bret M. FullER

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2007, 08:24:00 PM »
A little torque here, a little pluck there, means
a little flip in the air. Strubberg makes a very good point, don`t let your form slip because  that can cause a problem where there wasn`t one.

A broadhead will tell the story. Good luck.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©