3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Bear bows  (Read 371 times)

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
New Bear bows
« on: June 07, 2011, 07:57:00 PM »
I was checking out the new Bear recurves.  I am impressed.  Has anyone bought and shot one of the new bows?  I love the looks of the takedown
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline Elmer Fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Bear bows
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
wheels2, I haven't shot one of the new ones, but a lot of people say go with the Martin. I just purchased two older Bears through this sites classified listings and I am amazed at no stacking even at my 29 1/2 draw length. Both bows were marked at 28 inch. The Grizzly mid 70's manufacture, 58 length, 50lbs. The Polar, mid 60's manufacture, 64 inch length,44lbs. I expected the Polar to be smooth with a longer design and it's like butter. The Grizzly was a pleasant surprise. If the new bows are constructed similarly, they should be fine, but I'm ignorant on the modern construction differences. My bows are not for sale, but you might consider an older bow. They are cheaper than new, hold their value and no more risk financially than you would loose on a new bow if you decide to sell. Also, I've seen some pretty cool reproductions out there that, while expensive, are absolutely gorgeous.

Offline Elmer Fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
Wheels2, I shoot better than I spell.

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 09:35:00 PM »
I bought the 50th anniversary Kodiak Magnum not the prettiest but great shooter and no stack or pinch for a 52 inch bow at my 28.125 draw.  real happy with it, it is currently wearing the quiver which means #1 bow!
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline arrowslinger22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 10:58:00 PM »
I've seen them and shot the Kmag and the Ausable.  I have a 64 kmag and I'd never trad it for the new one.  The 64 is twice the bow of the new one.  The Ausable is nice enough, but for the price you can do much better from many of the custom bowyers that are sponsors on this site.  JMHO
Only when the last tree has died
and the last river been poisoned
and the last fish been caught
will we realize that we cannot eat money

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 03:24:00 AM »
I also would stick with the older bears. For the price of a new one you can get a custom that is alot nicer. As others have also said.
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 06:38:00 AM »
I bought the new TD with A Riser and #3 limbs. I ordered it on January 7th and it arrived in mid-April.  Both appear to be very well made. The limbs fit perfectly and the riser feels good in the hand. I really like the wood and color combinations of this TD.

I bought and sold two Green Stripes this winter. I much prefer the new Riser (at least the A) over than the older Greenies.

My only complaint with the new riser is that the grip is a bit thicker (face to back) than I like. I'm not a ball dunker and this grip is 5.25" in circumference. I prefer grips that are under 5". My favorite Bear TD grip is the just discontinued Supreme -- it is closer to 4.25".

I find the bow very easy to shoot and the limbs weigh out, on very accurate digital scales higher than they feel (and significantly higher than Bear marked on them).

I haven't shot one but I've handled the 50th Anniversary Super K with green glass. I like it, but I'd prefer to find a LH Super K from 1967.5-1972 or so.

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 01:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by arrowslinger22:
I've seen them and shot the Kmag and the Ausable.  I have a 64 kmag and I'd never trad it for the new one.  The 64 is twice the bow of the new one.  The Ausable is nice enough, but for the price you can do much better from many of the custom bowyers that are sponsors on this site.  JMHO
Can you send it to me so I can try it out side by side to my new piece of junk?     :biglaugh:

Offline arrowslinger22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 02:55:00 PM »
The new kmag is not "a piece of junk".  I didn't say that, sorry if it came off that way.  Specifically, I am very particular about the grip on a bow and my 64' fits and the new ones don't.  The wood combination is nicer on the 64 as well.  Like I said in my first post, it's JMHO and that's all.  I apologize for any offended by my comments.
Only when the last tree has died
and the last river been poisoned
and the last fish been caught
will we realize that we cannot eat money

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »
I feel Bear is certainly back on the right track with the 2011 lineup.  

For the past 20 years, I never gave them a second look and always favored the bows from Grayling.  

The current takedown is good looking, shoots fantastic, and fairly priced (just $799 for the TD).  I have only shot the A riser with #1 limbs (56") and found it to my liking even when drawing over 28"

The complaint about the bigger grip is common and I would not be surprised to see them improve that in future models.  Personally, I found the grip very acceptable.
Lon Scott

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 03:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by arrowslinger22:
The new kmag is not "a piece of junk".  I didn't say that, sorry if it came off that way.  Specifically, I am very particular about the grip on a bow and my 64' fits and the new ones don't.  The wood combination is nicer on the 64 as well.  Like I said in my first post, it's JMHO and that's all.  I apologize for any offended by my comments.
No offense taken just having some fun.  I wish I could have a collection of bear bows from different eras but I need to hold at 5 bows to keep under my wife's radar for now!

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »
I shot the new T/D and found it at least comparable to the oldies.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »
I shot a Grayling green Kodiak in Waterloo this winter and I was very inpressed with how it looked and shot. I just prefer the old ones.

doug77

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 06:50:00 PM »
$800 for a factory bow?  No way!  I buy full on custom bows for that price.  Wait a year or two and the used bows will be half that price.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline frankwright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
There is a good article in this month's Bowhunter magazine telling all about Bear Archery.

New people in charge of the Traditional line and some old ones coming back to lend advice.
They appear to do a lot of hand work but I agree, that is custom bow prices.

Offline michigan bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 07:52:00 PM »
I was handling the "new" Grizzly with the reddish handle and black glass limbs at Cabelas the other day.  I'll tell ya, for $330 it looked real good to me.  I looked closely at its fit and finish and it appeared really well constructed to me.
All the other models seem overpriced to me.
Bill
I'm just happy to be here!

Offline newell38

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 07:02:00 AM »
are other american made " factory" bows selling for cheaper somewhere else or am I missing something?
"The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger
Endless loop strings, heavy bows, and wood and only wood arrows...my kind of archery!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 08:35:00 AM »
I have "factory bows" (3) that cost as much or more than these bears, by quite a lot. My custom bows (except the classified purchases) cost hundreds more. I'm sure there are customs that are less than the ones I prefer, but there you go.

If one can find the spec they need in the classifieds I think it is a terrific thing to buy there:

1. Save some mone.
2. If resale occurs you'll lose less.
3. A fellow Trad Ganger benefits.
4. Weeks, months, even  years waiting can be saved.

I'm a fan of Bear but that doesn't drive my decision to buy a bow. In fact, I'm intriqued by the new green glass Super K.  However, I think Brandon at Rose Oak makes a superior bow in all aspects (Super Wildcat). If I can stand the wait, don't mind spending $400 more, and can turn my back on nostalgia, another one will be in my future. That Macassar & Phenolic with Curly Maple limb veneers is gorgeous and I already know they shoot great!

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 10:12:00 AM »
In a previous post I said it took 17 weeks for my order of an “A” riser. I went back and looked at a calendar and it was actually 18 weeks. To be fair, it was somewhat of a special order as I had Bear leave out the threaded inserts. I know that doesn’t sound like much, but it does mean that they are trying to listen to the customer. The only quality problem that I can see is with the glue holding down the rug rest. Other than that I couldn’t be happier and am seriously thinking about a new Super K. That’s something I wouldn’t have done 10 years ago.

Offline C Kerley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2011, 09:43:00 AM »
I just saw that Bear donated a new takedown to be raffled at Compton...good move Bear Archery!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©