3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: grizzly stories?  (Read 390 times)

Offline stiknstringer

• Trad Bowhunter
grizzly stories?
« on: June 07, 2011, 08:13:00 PM »
I just started re-reading "Once Upon A Tine".When I got to the story  about Barry and the grizzly, I noticed my pulse getting faster.I never hunted or even saw a live grizz, but I've had some bad dreams for some reason.Too much TV.Anyway,anybody have a close call with a grizzly?   :campfire:

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: grizzly stories?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 08:23:00 PM »
Jack Shanks

Offline chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 03:44:00 PM »
Lots of stories, but would rather post a few pics.  Some of these aren't so much close encounters as much as just seeing them.

Off the bow of my drift boat...

Fishin'

Little guy enjoying his salmon lunch

Spring hillside

Just a toad of a brownie wading out in a lake below me, the pimple on the right is his head !  Took the pic while taking care of a black bear I had got with my Widow, next day bumped likely this same bear when I came back to get the rest of mine, didn't see him but he was so close I could hear him sniffing, trying to get my scent.
    :eek:
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 04:39:00 PM »
My son, Jacob,  was guiding an archery moose hunter last September in Wyoming.  Long story short while they were putting a stalk on a good bull moose they were charged by a 10 year old 700 pound boar grizz from 13 yards.  Needless to say that blew the stalk on the moose.  It took three rounds from the guide gun (450 marlin, hot loads) to drop the bear within 5 feet of them.  Photos are of the Fish and Game field investigation.  Charges were dropped, ruled justifiable defense.   You need to be packing something substantial to hunt in our area.  This bear would have charged through a bear spray fog and killed anything in his path. Jacob is lucky to be one of the few people to survive a full blown charge from a starving grizzly and he is now a believer in always carrying when in this area.  Come and hunt with us and we will be happy to provide bear protection for you.

Offline Matthew Bolton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
THREE ROUNDS FROM A 450! Dadgumit i want no part of that.

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 11:34:00 AM »
Very interesting topic, and nice photos.  John, good thing Jacob was prepared.
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Online GRAYBEARD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »
That boy was cramking that lever gun! That is impressive.
TGMM Family of the Bow; Make every heartbeat a party, the next one is not guaranteed!

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 12:24:00 PM »
Was in Idaho elk hunting a few years ago.  I was working my way down hill into the wind,  we had had a lot of rain and snow so walking was almost silent.  As I made my way to a small opening I noticed movement to my left about 25-30 yards away.  I quickly realized it was a grizzley bear moving up hill. In the next instance I also saw two smaller fur balls scooting up behind her. Two cubs! now I'm thinking "This isn't cool" a mother and her cubs is never a good situation. Suddenly she must have heard, seen or smelled me cause she stopped in her tracks and spun towards me and stood on her back legs looking things over. She made a huffing kind of a muffled growling sound and sort of bobbed up and down trying to scope things out.  At this point I'm thinking I'm about 2 seconds away from becoming a statistic.  I tightened my fingers on the string of my Fox recurve and got ready.  I knew it was no use to run, so I figured I was going to get an arrow in her if it came down to it.  Fortunately she dropped to all fours and scampered up the mountain with her two cubs in tow.  I quickly took off in the opposite direction watching my back for the rest of the day.  After I got about 100 yards away I stopped and realized my heart was pounding like a jack hammer and the ol' adrenlin was doing its thing.  It made for a great campfire story when I got back that evening.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Brett Wilmore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 01:02:00 PM »
Most of what I think I know about grizzlies came from this great weekly reader book I had as a kid (still pick it up every couple of years).

I ate some bear from the freezer of a buddy who married an Athabascan Native American.  That was the gawd-awfullest stuff I ever stuck under my nose!

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »
Get a copy of "Night of the Grizzlies".  A true story about the Glacier Park grizzly killings.  It really makes you think!  The picture in the book of the sign closing the path on the Going to the Sun Highway was made and hung by a friend of mine.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
I lived in AK and hunted them with a rifle 1983.  Took a Toklat sow at 90 yes with a 338.  It never flinched but the second round downed it. Impressive animals whenever or wherever found. In respect them. As I do blackies and I have taken several of them
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »
Bowhunting Moose in Alaska in 1987 . Me and my guide were following a feeder creek toward a lake when we cut bear tracks heading in the direction we were going. One big set and a pair of small tracks. Sure enough there she was with them!!! At about 60 yds she reared up glaring at us and poping her jaws like a steel trap. I have never been looked at like that before! Fotunatly the cubs had run off and one of them squealed, she gave us one last look and ran off.
Good thing too all I had was my bow and the guides rifle did not have one in the pipe!!
I would not do that again w/o lugging my 375 H&H with me.
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 08:53:00 AM »
"Biography of a Grizzly" by Ernest Thompson Seton. A great story for youngsters- I read it several times while growing up.

Dan Quillian's grizzly story gives me the willies every time I think about it. He was in Alaska, hunting with an old friend who was a guide. After several days of hunting, his friend made a quick trip to town for supplies, and Dan decided to go out solo to a nearby salmon stream that the bears had been frequenting. Dan had an open wound on the bottom of his foot from a hospital staph infection that didn't want to heal because of his diabetes, so he was hobbling around, only able to hunt for short distances. On this afternoon, he climbed a high bank over the stream to stand watch. When darkness was approaching, he saw salmon coming back downstream, spooked by something. A short while later he heard footsteps in the water, sounding much like a human wading downstream, but it was a huge barren sow, big enough to make P & Y. He waited, standing very still, while she walked past at 15 yards. He put his big Snuffer through her lungs, slightly quartering away, getting penetration to the skin on the off side. When the arrow hit, she "whoofed" and jerked her head around, looking for whatever had just happened. Dan froze in place, hoping that she didn't see him. With no backup he wouldn't have had a chance. She crossed the stream and headed for bush, and Dan put a second, but nonlethal, arrow into her. It was rapidly getting dark, so Dan backed off and waited 'till morning, when he and his guide found her less than 100 yards from where he had shot her. She squared at about 8 1/2 feet.

He said she was so big and so close it was like shooting a bus!
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 09:12:00 AM »
Originally posted by Don Stokes:
"Biography of a Grizzly" by Ernest Thompson Seton. A great story for youngsters- ...
A fantastic book! We had an original leather bound with great drawings. It was pretty worn already and didn't make it through my youth...

"He struck one fearful, crushing blow"
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Yeoman Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 01:36:00 AM »
I don't have any personal grizzly stories, but I do have a black bear story. When I was a kid growing up in Florida we used to go camping in the Smoky Mtns every summer.

On one trip, we were in our usual campground (Smokemont). It was night & we were already in our sleeping bags. Unfortunately, the novice campers in the site next to us had left a smorgasbord on their table to tempt the nighttime visitors.

About midnight we heard a ruckus that woke the whole campground. A huge (huge to me - a wide-eyed 9 year old) black bear had come to dinner. He seemed 8 feet tall in my mind. He was less than 30 feet from our tent and obviously not afraid of humans.

Without any hesitation he sauntered up the picnic table & started chowing down. Whole loaves of bread, tupperware containers of orange drink and what looked like part of a pork roast (Don't ask me why they had a pork roast on a camping trip!).

The woman in the camper was screaming her head off, though they didn't open the door. But the bear didn't mind the noise. He was too busy stuffing his face. He actually bit a can of salmon in half, then took the time to clean both halves thoroughly. It was a delicate operation not to slice his tongue on the sharp edges of the can.

Looking back, it seems strange that no park rangers or any authorities showed up. But then this was long before cell phones & calling for help was difficult, since the park rangers weren't around at night.

So the bear had a table for one for as long as he wanted it. He must have fed for 10-15 minutes or so, munching on the appetizers, entrees and desserts laid out, before slowly wandering off into the night.

As for the folks in the camper, they were gone at sunrise.
Yeoman
_ _ _ __ _  _  _  

35# Martin Hunter
40# Martin Savannah
40# Martin Dreamcatcher
50# Bear Montana
_ _ _ _________ _  _  _

"When it’s time to die, let us not discover that we have never lived." -Henry David Thoreau

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 02:28:00 AM »
Check out "Alaska Bear Tales" by Larry Kaniut.    :eek:    :scared:
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 11:39:00 AM »
In the 35 years that I have spent hunting in Alaska I have had a lot of bear encounters but only had one encounter with a grizzly that I felt real threatened. I had killed a moose the day before and had already packed it out. When I was going back picking up my trail markers, I was about 30 yard from the gut pile when I seen that there was a bear on it. This lead to a couple of bluff charges to with in about 20'. From the time I seen him until he was within 20' was fast about all I had time to do was to holler at him. Eventually he took off up the hill. So while they are out there and if a person is cautious and uses a little common sense (which I failed to do in the mentioned encounter) the chances of getting attacked are slim at least in Alaska.

Offline longarrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 11:58:00 AM »
Burnsie.....your story fits one I know about (It wasn't me) In Idaho, elk huntin...your story to a "T" except when the guy stopped running about 100 away, he looked down and the arrow he had nocked was a "BLUNT TIP"!!!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Live a Good Life! And in the end, it's not the number of years in your life...it's the LIFE in your years!!!

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 06:02:00 PM »
I have been around a number of them, a few from a distance in Yellowstone Park while living in MT., a couple of big boars, also from a distance while hunting Sheep in Alaska's Talkeetna Mts. and 15 or 20 different bears while working on the Alaska Pipeline through the Brook's Range. I have been much closer than I ever wanted to be to a grizzly there, once at 4 to 5 yards with only a toothbrush in my hand. It is my personal opinion that if grizzlys were as agressive and dangerous as many believe there would have been dozens if not hundreds of morons killed by them on the pipeline and believe me the morons far out-numbered the bears and there was a LOT of bear/moron contact.

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 07:41:00 PM »
I've been on 2 grizzly bowhunts , once in Alaska and once in the Yukon Territories of Canada . Only seen 1 bear and he was about a couple miles away on a snowy mountainside heading away from where we were glassing . Both hunts the weather was terrible , all heavy rain and snow . I'd like to think I could pull off a shot given the chance but until the oppurtunity arrives I'm keeping my mouth shut . It's easy to say what you're going to do and another thing doing it, Lord willing I will get another chance but I doubt it will be anytime soon . My closest encounter was following a fresh set of huge tracks into a swamp between 2 lakes for about an hour before it got dark forcing us to head back to camp . Wish I had more , Fred
Greyfox54

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©