3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Monarch of Bull Mountain --DONE!--  (Read 4644 times)

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
The Monarch of Bull Mountain --DONE!--
« on: June 07, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »
Seven elk grazed the fresh grasses that each spring lept out of what was only a week earlier winter weary ground. Seven bachelor brothers grazed calmly together, oblivious to the light rain.

And yet one stood apart.

Even from across the drainage, the view fogged from the soft spring weather, this bull was half again larger than the others. Oh, he was something OTHER, now that was for sure! The archer took note of his spring scouting luck and settled into his rest against an ancient blown down fir.

The big bull turned to test the wind, his habit, and despite the distance three long raking scars plowing along his left flank could be plainly seen. Those long scars would have been deep wounds once and must have been grievous for the bull.

Three Badges. Badges of an epic contest for supremacy never seen before or since on Bull Mountain, or on any mountain. Those scars had been hard earned at the feet of the Black Bull of Deadman Gulch, when the two monsters had battled in a contest that in the end was either life-

or death.

The archer was awed. He had never seen such scars on any elk and knew of all the large bulls on the mountain, only one bore them.

The Monarch of Bull Mountain...

To be continued
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Monarch of Bull Mountain --DONE!--
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »
Oh boy, pull up a chair this is gonna be a good one. Is it ok if I play with my elk bugle while reading this one?
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 10:37:00 PM »
:coffee:  And I'm going on my first Elk hunt this fall.........
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 10:57:00 PM »
Joshua, This should be a fun one.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 11:05:00 PM »
There is a lot more to come.

J-

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 12:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by Autumnarcher:
Oh boy, pull up a chair this is gonna be a good one. Is it ok if I play with my elk bugle while reading this one?
A huge X2~!!!

I have a feeling this one will take me away from work during the day...
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
The group of bulls slowly fed their way into  the timber, the Monarch still among them. The archer stood, taking care to shake out his legs. It had been a long hard hike into this canyon and he would be lucky to make it back by dark. A pair of ravens talked back and forth across the park. He shouldered his small pack. How old was this rotting giant he had found comfort leaning against? 100 years? 200? He started down the game trail, but suddenly stopped, realizing it had  been on the ground even, for longer than he had lived. Humbled now, he started his long walk out.

In the evenings, the archer planned his hunt. He spread out maps on the kitchen table and studied topography. In his mind he translated the lines and their character into images. This is where there is water. Here is dark timber. Grasses and swale. Impassable. A narrow saddle guarded by a false ridge. He added what he saw on the maps to what he had seen on his scouts. Finally he thought, after all the work.

It had taken the archer two years to find the Monarch of Bull Mountain.

At night, the archer would think about the Bull feeding somewhere on the mountain. Or his daughter. He wished he could see her more often. But she lived far away, with her mother. He could only manage a weekend every month.

Sometimes he dared to dream about hunting the Bull with her. She had killed an elk with a bow already, but it was never a sure thing if they could get the time or juggle the schedules to allow a hunt together.  He hoped.  He was thankful that in the beginning at least and before the divorce there had been enough time for him to pour his love, and his love of the outdoors, into her. She was his, top to bottom. For that the archer was grateful.

Tomorrow was a new day. He turned off the nightstand light and tried to get some sleep.

To be cont...

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
oh boy, I'm hooked   :readit:    :eek:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 10:55:00 PM »
:campfire:

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 03:28:00 PM »
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Osage61

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 04:12:00 PM »
:campfire:     :coffee:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Pro Pelle Cutem"-HBC

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
The spring slowly drifted into summer, the seven bulls grazing along the ascending bloom of tender shoots and protein laden grasses just below the snow line. Their four-chambered stomachs broke down and made use of every calorie available, sponging up the nutrients to put on the stores that would see them through the exertions of fall. They bedded often, reworking the forage stored in one of their stomachs into finer pieces. Better yet to absorb whatever nutrients could be found in them. They never exerted themselves without reason, and in general only moved about to eat and to drink.

The Bull stayed with the bachelor group for awhile, feeding with the others until one day he was gone.
The archer waited for the Bull to show himself again. Each scout he found the bachelor group expecting to find the Bull back among them. But he had disappeared.
The archer began to scout farther away from the range the bulls favored. An elk as massive as the Monarch could not just vanish into thin air he reasoned. But after several weeks of determined bushwacking he found nothing.
He studied his maps and continued to call his daughter with updates. She was as anxious as he was to hunt the Monarch now and it looked like a  three day hunt together was falling into place.
The archer was excited about going after the Monarch with his daughter, though he was becoming concerned that if he didn't find where this crafty giant had gone they would never even have the chance. He almost regretted building this thing up. He hated to disappoint her so.

The week they confirmed their plans, he found it hard to concentrate at work. He had to find where the Bull was hiding. He drove home early, first stopping at the grocery to pick up some things and then  without thinking found himself at the edge of town. He parked in a pull out, a sawtooth horizon of spruce against the sky, and beyond that, he the could just see the tops of the humped up peaks that held Bull Mountain. The sun set, its last rays infusing the sky in alpenglow.
The archer turned the truck around and drove aimlessly. He tried to clear his thinking about the Bull and approach finding him from a new perspective. It didn't work. The truck bumped down a long dirt track and the archer, lost in thought,  almost hit a bull moose walking across the road in front of him. He looked for a place to turn around but the track was narrow and sided with beaver pools and swale. It was getting dark. Finally, the truck bumping over a small rise and down into a hollow. The dirt track abruptly ended.
Off to one side of a small turnaround sat an old one ton flat bed, long ago up on blocks. Behind that was what you could call a shed and beyond the shed was a tilted dwelling, half log, part plywood and a little bit tar paper. It tilted into the hillside like an old boat.

Inside that husk of wood and log and paper lived Old Husky.

The archer turned off his truck and got out. What the hell, he thought, maybe Husky knew where this big Bull was hiding. Even if they said he was half crazy. Maybe he was an old hermit. But maybe he knew where to find the Monarch of Bull Mountain. Old Husky had lived up there before the fire took his cabin and the winters took his mind, or at least thats what they said had driven him off the high top country.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 08:00:00 PM »
Excellent.  :campfire:

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 09:12:00 PM »
This is shaping up as a great story!

:coffee:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 12:45:00 AM »
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2011, 01:43:00 AM »
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2011, 02:56:00 AM »
:thumbsup:
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Aunty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2011, 04:56:00 AM »
o man i am so captivated by this story keep it coming man iv never hunted Wapiti before but i can compare your story with a Red stag that is still on the hill that my dad seen and im trying to catch up on keep the story coming. Jhg you have a gift mate you really do.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2011, 05:40:00 AM »
:campfire:    :coffee:  

were waiting.........
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline turkey522

• Trad Bowhunter