3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Monarch of Bull Mountain --DONE!--  (Read 4659 times)

Offline sou-pawbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Monarch of Bull Mountain --DONE!--
« Reply #140 on: July 18, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »
Well, it's the 18th  :campfire:

Seriously though, this is among the most enjoyable reads I have ever found.
Molon labe

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: July 18, 2011, 09:12:00 PM »
How was the scouting trip?
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: July 19, 2011, 12:06:00 AM »
The herd was grazing lower on the mountain than usual. Led by an old barren cow, they had fed their way slowly along a break in the dark timber that was wreathed in a band of aspen and wet black soil. Rich in greens and tender grasses that they loved, the elk were following this narrow meadow down slope. The old cow was  matriarch of a large group of sisters, daughters and immature bulls too young to actively participate in the rut.
The wind came at the Bull and he pushed his large head into it, testing. He was nervous. He knew the old cow from his early days and he was loath to unsettle the group by horning her in.  None of the cows were in estrus yet. But soon, and he did not want to work any harder than he had to keeping them within his loose control. Of course if it came to that, he would do what he had to do and his desires would prevail, but for now he chose the easier path despite his unease.
The old cow was smart and her judgment sound. This the Monarch understood intuitively. He did not reason it out. Years of contact with her during this season had taught him to rely on her skills of survival as much as he did his own. He had seen for himself her reactions and her choices when confronted with danger. Always swift and sure, he came to see her as an extension of his own innate and unassailable instinct. But still he did not like being so far down on the mountain and after another hour he'd had enough. He walked purposely  toward the old cow, giving a soft but clear squeal of discontent. His massive rack rocked as he strode across the treed meadow. When he neared the cow he tilted his rack so the tines nested into his large body. Head back and eyes rolling, the Monarch walked an arch that looped toward the old matriarch. His posture and direction made it clear that he wanted the group to stop and move back and up the mountain. The other elk became nervous and stopped grazing to watch the outcome of this, the first assertion  of the Bulls status onto the herd usually led by the old cow.
She stood her ground and perceptibly stiffened, but as the Monarch closed the small distance remaining between them, she gave him her flank which he only seemed to push his mighty tines into while she continued to turn away until facing the other direction. The old cow then slowly walked several steps toward higher ground to signal her acquiescence. In this way the point was made. From then on the herd understood who was in control.
The Bull gave a low chuckle and then a high long bugle to call in any willing cows that might be outside the group. The sound of the mighty Bull carried down the mountain, following its flank and its low ribs of dark thick timber. Down it fell, always down, taking its message into the very places the Bull dared not go without the cover of darkness. Down, down, down. Down the mountains steep slope toward the archer...
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: July 19, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
GAME ON!!!!!!

:archer:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: July 19, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
I closed my eyes and I was there.....cool !!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: July 19, 2011, 04:47:00 PM »
Is it just me or does this story keep getting better?... Terry
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: July 19, 2011, 09:58:00 PM »
It most certainly does !!!!!
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: July 19, 2011, 10:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by AZStickman:
Is it just me or does this story keep getting better?... Terry
I Don't think its just you!   :readit:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: July 20, 2011, 05:39:00 PM »
Back up... i'm getting goose-pimples, but don't want it to end!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: July 21, 2011, 03:23:00 PM »
ttt
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline highPlains

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: July 21, 2011, 04:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by jhg:
Down, down, down. Down the mountains steep slope toward the archer...
I could not get this part out of my head while looking at the mountains on my drive to work this morning. Down, down, down. This is good Josh, I can't believe I just found it.
>>---> TC
Rocky Mountain Specialt

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: July 21, 2011, 08:07:00 PM »
The archer swung his leg over the fallen tree. He grabbed a small spruce within easy reach and used it to leverage his upper body forward and over his foot planted on the other side. In one smooth motion he was over. He was following the slope down at a very slight angle. He had time and wanted to hunt smart with the day he had left. As he began to move away from the blow-down the archer froze almost as soon as he started forward. From his left and ahead a long faint bugle rolled down the mountain to him. Maybe a quarter mile away. Maybe less. He waited, silent, all his faculties brought to focus like a bullet. After a few minutes another bull note floated to him and the archer took a bearing on it with his compass. He immediately started straight up, now unconcerned with hunting across the afternoon thermals running up the slopes of Bull Mountain. He wanted to get above the elks location right here and right now. He would then hunt forward and down to them, into the wind. It was his best chance and he wasted no time moving through the forest. He leaned forward and his strides devoured  the topography he knew he must cover quickly. His body responded to the demand given and he was glad he had trained hard over the summer. Yet the pace he set was taxing his physical limits.
Images played across his mind like a movie as the archer climbed. It was as if his whole adult life were playing its story before his vague attentiveness. He saw images of his daughter through the years as she changed from a lumpy bundle in his arms to respected and sought after high school athlete. He saw the wedding cake as if it was before him, then the divorce contest in all its tension, one particular office, a room divided by his lawyers and hers like crouching linemen in a football game. He saw Husky, the arrows and he saw his own face reflected in a mirror and noted with surprise at how much his father he looked. Or was it his father in the mirror? He couldn't be sure...
After a while the archer knew he had climbed above the elks last location bugle. He slowed his pace and moved along the contour of the slope. He wanted time to let his body recover. It was a good place to move quietly and he used game trails when he could. He linked these traces with the open areas free of blown over trees into a long and continuously productive avenue forward.  Finally he stopped and let the surrounding forest massage its inexorably profound peacefulness into him. The archer listened. He began to feel the rhyme of the forest within himself. He slowly became a part of its fabric and its rhythm. Slowly, the archer became invisible.
 Another bugle came to him and it was close. He was less anxious now and knew he must choose his approach carefully. He knew he had time. The archer thought he could hear cow talk- soft mews and answering whines. Above him the crowns of the tall firs sifted the wind. Ahead he could see a change in color that he knew must mean an aspen break between the dark timber ribs of Bull Mountain.
The archer slowly worked forward and down toward the elk he could hear ahead of him. He was careful to keep in cover now. Any route that offered easy stalking, but nothing to mask his approach he disregarded, even if the alternative meant difficult going. A slight breeze pushed into his face from his right. He could smell the elk now. The archer removed his pack. He took off his boots. He carefully checked the bow quiver, the string and he checked the nock tied onto it. The archer was ready. He crouched low and placed each step with care. The herd was there and moving into him and he could see several cows grazing forward. He waited, wondering his next move. The archer did not want to use a call. He was almost in the herd and he decided it best to remain unknown. A small yellow  caterpillar moved across the damp rotting bark of a laid over tree in front of him. Another bugle and he soon could make out the form of a very large bull off to the lower side of him and behind the cows that were now grazing past him. The archers heart began to increase its rhythm despite his efforts to remain calm. The bull was a giant and he could not imagine any elk this large but for the Monarch. The cows seemed intent on the lush forage and only raised their heads to choose another spot on which to feed. Soon they would feed past him but the wind would not bring them its warning as the archer hid above them.
The bull was standing closer now and a thick stand of young understory partially blocked him from the mans view. The archer used this stand of trees to stalk the big animal. He closed the distance between him and the giant to less than 20 yards. He dared not move any closer. The bulls massive rack seemed overwhelming at this short distance and the archer fought to get control of his racing heart. He realized his breathing was rapid and shallow. He fought for control. The herd bull turned toward the archers hiding place walking forward at an angle that would bring him almost on top of the crouching man. The bull seemed overwhelming to him and in all his years hunting the archer had never been in such awe of an animal. The big bull seemed to dominate everything. Closer he came and his smell was pungent and the archer could not smell anything  but bull. He nocked an arrow and turned his body ready for the shot. The bull stopped to worry a small spruce and in moments the long green limbs were in tatters, the top broken cleanly off eight feet above the ground. The archer tensioned the string hooked in the fingers of his right hand. The bull walked around the tree he had just destroyed and came broadside to the archer at 10 yards. The man was on his knees and he brought slowly up the bow held loosely in his off hand and in one fluid motion put full weight to the string. Its taught geometry felt right and the archer felt a calmness wash over him. The giant bull was there and the archer sensed the arrow and the surrounding forest the bull its massive rack his back muscles closing the hooked fingers relaxing and in the most perfect thing the archer had ever seen the arrow floating spinning on its center the whole world stopped silent and motionless except the arrow on a string to its target reaching out to the bulls right flank and disappearing into the crease back and above the magnificent animals leg.
The bull erupted and launched his giant body, his muscles bunching under his fantastic coat of tan as he turned away.  He ran out of the archers view, the forest closing in around him.

"Nice shot son" his father said "I am proud of you."

The archer felt his fathers hand on his shoulder and he turned to accept the congratulatory hug he knew was coming.
But the place he thought his father had been standing was empty and the hand he felt, only a spruce bough. The wind blew across and through the vacant stand of mixed timber recently full of grazing elk. It had all seemed real. His fathers calm voice. The reassuring touch of his large hand.

The archer waited for awhile, mentally exhausted and unable to think about what had happened. A hawk screamed over in the next draw on the mountainside, starting the archer out of his fog. He finally got up and went back to where he had left his boots and pack. He put them on and started to follow the bulls trail away from the shot...

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: July 21, 2011, 08:20:00 PM »
Bravo!!   :clapper:
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: July 21, 2011, 08:27:00 PM »
I was on the edge of my seat for that whole segment.........well done!  :notworthy:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: July 22, 2011, 02:16:00 AM »
Wow I can't wait for the ending.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline hardwaymike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: July 22, 2011, 02:38:00 AM »
As much as I hated waiting for the next installment, I am hating even more that it is almost over,lol. You should write a book. Fact or fiction, this story has had me on pins and needles the whole way. Thank you jhg, Mike.
"A road is a dagger placed in the heart of a wilderness." -William O. Douglas

Believe it or not the "HARDWAY" is often the EASIER way(in hindsight)!
2xOIF VET
Bear Cub #48@28"

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: July 22, 2011, 08:35:00 AM »
Well, done, Josh!

I was not sure right thru to the end and had to re-read the last paragraph... I wondered if you might make it that once at full draw, the archer counted coup and smiled, let down and thought,"Gotcha"...

I've often wondered if I got such a chance, whether knowing that magical monster would no longer be there, if I could actually go thru with the shot.

Only ONCE got the chance to land a magnificant trout --and as I contemplated that pool without having that big ole buggar, I couldn't do it and had to let it go... later someone "kept it" but hey...I went back and got to "try" a few more times for a "re-match".  it was exhalirating!

So I've often wondered, could I follow thru if I had the chance on something like the Monarch?

I likely will never know.

Thank you, Josh for this wonderful read and thank you for allowing me to feel ever pine needle and smell all that I once knew out West in your well-penned words!  :thumbsup:    :notworthy:

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: July 22, 2011, 08:52:00 AM »
:scared:  IT CANT BE OVER ON THE FIRST HUNT OF THE SEASON.  ITS ONLY THE END OF JULY!!!  WHAT WILL I DO FOR THE REST OF THE SUMMER!!!  :clapper:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: July 22, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »
The archer found the arrow Husky had made for him laying unbroken on the green grasses a few yards behind where the fantastic bull had stood. Its fletching was matted down and he could see that his shot had been mortal. The bull had crashed downslope, and his trail not hard to follow. The archer walked carefully along this path of broken branches and disturbed earth, ambivalent.  It was late afternoon. The heat was building on the ground of the open areas that were not guarded by the protective crown of the forest. Insects appeared and disappeared as they passed through vertical tunnels of light. The archer looked ahead into a heavily shaded oasis of moss covered soil. The air felt cool against his sweating face as he entered this small island of green surrounded by black timber. The ground cover was thick and soft from decades of decomposing needles and leaves. His steps sunk into this carpet as he moved forward and then he saw the bull. He was laying on his right side, mighty antlers reaching out behind him. Even in deaths repose he was magnificent. The archer walked respectfully up to the fallen giant and knelt down beside the huge body. He put his fingers deep into the unbroken blanket of tan hair on the bulls left side and in that moment of acknowledgment he gave his humble thanks. He knew that even though the bull that lay at his feet was not the Monarch, the animal was still fantastic. The bull was a trophy of a lifetime and the archer knew it was a special moment. He thought about his father and what had happened after the arrows flight to the bull. He felt a peace he had not experienced for a long time and the archer smiled even as he wiped the tears for his father from his cheek.

The archer began the work of getting the bull off the mountain. As he bent to his task, his thoughts turned to his daughter and their upcoming hunt together...

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: July 22, 2011, 10:05:00 AM »
Lots of story left everyone- don't bail on me now!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©