3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Monarch of Bull Mountain --DONE!--  (Read 4650 times)

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Monarch of Bull Mountain --DONE!--
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2011, 12:02:00 PM »
:clapper:
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Ragin Bull

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2011, 06:59:00 PM »
A chapter a day?  Now thats something to look forward to.  :campfire:    :coffee:
Graywolfwoolens.com

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Life Member of Comptons

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »
This is awesome I just bookmarked this page so I can keep up with this one.

Bisch

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2011, 08:22:00 PM »
The Black Bull...

The archer pulled his truck into the drive and killed the engine. He sat there and replayed his visit with Old Husky.  It was quiet but for the exhaust shrinking as it cooled. He laid his head back into the seat and closed his eyes.

"The blackest antlers you ever saw...

"Tips glinted like diamonds when flashed by the sun...

"The Black Bull took the charge from the young Monarch by simply stepping aside...

"He waited his chance and drove into the Monarch those massive tines, muscles knotted and eyes ablaze...

"The Black Bull didn't intend to beat the Monarch son, he intended to kill him and delivered one massive raking blow that put him down."

The last few years had taken a toll on the archer.
He had never told anyone about the dream. In the dream he would see his daughter and going toward her she would walk into another room. The archer would follow, but she was not there. He would then search for her. Room to room to room, trying to find her but she would be gone and a sense of loneliness and powerlessness would engulf him so totally he would wake, sweating and rattled. Sometimes he understood he had been crying in his sleep.
 If there was a God for the archer, he spoke to Him then. He asked for help. He asked God to please, please keep his daughter safe. The archer didn't know what else to do. He tried his best to be at his best when they were together and sometimes he was successful. A lot of the time, he didn't know what else to do but to do the things that once brought him so much joy. He knew that to prevail, he must shepherd his health and keep his shoulder to the very thing that tested him the most. The thing he was never sure he could beat. Sometimes he would laugh at himself ironically, saying out loud "Not exactly how you had it planned, eh Bud?"

The Monarch of Bull Mountain had somehow escaped into the timber and Husky said he thought the young bull had died either from his wounds or being so weakened by them that the winter was simply more than he could endure. He kept an eye for him all next summer but he was not to be seen anywhere. But that fall he reappeared with his scars healed and the night of the September moon Husky could hear the epic battle waged between the Black Bull of Deadman Gulch and the young Monarch way high up on the whaleback, just behind the park. It was so quiet the old loner could hear the giant bulls grunt when taking a charge. The battle went on for a long time until finally it was quiet.  One long terrible bugle ripped the silence and proclaimed a winner. In the morning was only the young bull, battered and blood stained, but truly now the Monarch of Bull Mountain.
No one ever saw the Black Bull again and Husky was sure he had been fatally wounded that moon washed night.

The archer got out of his truck and going into his house took down a small picture that hung on the wall next to the phone. It was a picture of his father and he sometimes wished he could ask him for the answer. But in his heart the archer knew he was not a boy anymore. Even if his Dad could be there, the only way out for for him was to walk the path himself. Success is a lifetime of sustained effort, he thought. He went up to bed, taking the picture with him . It was the last thing he looked at before turning out the light and going to sleep.
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
We need more!!!! Great storytelling by the way...
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2011, 09:13:00 PM »
I've been cutting and pasting into MS WORD as you write, Joshua.

It's already 6 pages. You send me an email addy and I'll forward you a typed up copy of it all as posted here, if you want.

Going to make a great read later for me cause with my aged memory, I'll be forgetting what I ready at the beginning till it's over and get to relive it all anew

Excellent... starting to get some Pathos going in here. Thank you for sharing and allowing us to be a part of this great tale!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Doc Nock:
I've been cutting and pasting into MS WORD as you write, Joshua.

It's already 6 pages. You send me an email addy and I'll forward you a typed up copy of it all as posted here, if you want.

Going to make a great read later for me cause with my aged memory, I'll be forgetting what I ready at the beginning till it's over and get to relive it all anew

Excellent... starting to get some Pathos going in here. Thank you for sharing and allowing us to be a part of this great tale!
Was thinking of doing the same thing Doc...great idea.  Could easily read this under a big pine or aspen waiting for the evening hunt.....

Excellent writing Josh, appreciate you taking the time to share it.  :thumbsup:
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Osage61

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2011, 11:55:00 AM »
I agree with Jake. There is a lot of effort being put into this story and I'm glad it's being shared with us. Thanks for the idea of cutting and pasting guys   :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Pro Pelle Cutem"-HBC

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2011, 01:26:00 PM »
Yup, pretty easy... at least with 2 screens set up!

The guys at work drug me kickin and screaming into the 20th Century a while back and now I love 2 screens!

Course, this idea of the 21st century, facebook, twitter (???) and the rest...Not so much! One century at a time!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2011, 02:47:00 PM »
I've been reading anything and everything about Elk I could get my hands on ever since I was a kid and this is by far the best written story I have read. Thank you for sharing it with us!!!..... Terry
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline dhill1520

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
Excellent story Joshua...This story would be enjoyed by even a non-hunter, So its even that much better for the rest of us outdoor nuts!  :clapper:
Centaur 56" 45#@25"
Kempf Kwyk Styk 60" 58#@28"
D/H Super Diablo 60" 57#@28"

Compton member
Trad. Bowhunters of Washington

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2011, 10:15:00 PM »
The archer was not the first hunter to take an interest in the Monarch of Bull Mountain. The Giant was something of a legend. How could such a bull not be known and not be the object of curiosity, or desire? Certainly in hunting circles, but also among those with an ear for the mythic. The Monarch was a flint that fired the imagination. The hunter who brought home the mighty rack of the Monarch would have his place assured in local lore and  earn a folded page in any book written of such exploits.  To bring down the Bull would make a legend as large as the Monarch himself.

The absolute ruggedness of the country in which the Bull lived, however, weeded out those who would actually try into the very few. Of those who did make the effort, fewer still got very far into the endeavor before giving it up.  The country up  there was too rugged, the physical effort too great, the time it took to learn its secrets too long. It was easy to imagine the prize. It was something else altogether to attain it. The high top of Bull Mountain was not for everyone. Most never got past the inexorable fact that to get back there and then make a hunt, were two very different things...

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2011, 12:20:00 PM »
You were serious about stretching this out all summer weren't you    :campfire:
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »
ttt...... Wouldn't want this one to drift off page 1....... Terry

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2011, 02:36:00 PM »
Great thread!

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »
You were serious about stretching this out all summer weren't you  
You better hope he hasn't decided to stretch it out until next St Judes Auction  :knothead:  Terry

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2011, 05:15:00 PM »
Ruh, roh... Hey...it was just a thought I shared as it came to me, AZ!

:eek:    :rolleyes:  

I'd pay to see the ending but see'ns how he's writing it down as he goes, we don't want to mess with the artist's mojo now...  :)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2011, 07:52:00 PM »
The archer carefully drew the broadhead over the final stone. He leaned into his work, a warm yellow light over the bench, a moth worrying the bulb. It was late. He stopped only to add more oil to the stones surface, suspending the microscopic metal swarf left from the sharpening process. The archer turned the head often, counting strokes for each side. A light touch slowly brought the edge to a razor. He repeated the process for six broadheads, then set them aside for the night. Tomorrow he would finish up with the compound and strop. Tomorrow they would be ready.
Every other day after work the archer took his bow  to the range. He liked the cool evenings there. It was quiet and it was peaceful.  It reminded him of the long unkempt yard that fell away to the river behind the house he had grown up in. In that vast space he had explored the world, carrying his branch longbow to stalk the mighty Mastodon, or charging in with his solders down the embankment saving a beleaguered regiment from certain death. He built hay bale trapper cabins, dug deep camouflaged pits to surprise unsuspecting neighborhood dogs and cats. He took a rope from his father's shop and made complex and enthusiastic contraptions for hauling himself and his gear up into the trees that lined the fence line.  It had been a huge and endless expanse of wilderness to him then. Once he had returned to see it again and the smallness of it had surprised him. He remembered it differently.

Few others frequented the range this late and the archer liked that.

On weekends the archer pushed himself to continue the scouts. He knew if he was to have any chance when the aspens turned he would have to be in shape and he would have to know the country by walking it. During the week he maximized his efforts return by going to the gym and building his strength. The archer had noticed the waning of his powers as he had grown older. He understood that to simply keep from slipping back would take constant effort, to improve, serious dedication. Where before what he and taken for granted would have simply, without effort, been at his disposal, to have that power now required forethought and planning.
The archer also took the time to visit Old Husky and by the end of summer he had helped the old man re-line his well, and saved the mountain man the danger and the trouble of fixing the shanty roof.
He made the long trips to visit his daughter and in this way when fall finally came, he was ready...

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2011, 08:04:00 PM »
here I sit sweltering and yet...I can smell fall in the air!

Now THAT's good writing, bud!  :)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
The small canyon with the clear spring seep was a special place. It stayed cool in the heat and had an upslope breeze that brought to the Bull all the information he needed of what passed below its hidden entrance. In foul weather, the steep walls kept out the heavy gales. The Bull would sometimes look up at the hawks that passed over the window of sky above him as their shadows climbed its rock walls, or their cries reached down into the secret canyon, echoing their strange language.

While the archer spent long evenings re-working his tackle, or weekends scouting Bull Mountain, the Monarch lived the secretive life of a bull elk mid-summer. Already a very large animal, the Bull packed on weight as his internal systems drew nourishment from the pregnant browse around him, delivering it in the very best ways to muscles and sinew. His favorite bed was under a large spruce with down swept boughs that almost reached to the tips of his remarkable rack, in velvet but for a few more days. By chance, this bedding place under the massive tree was graced by the morning sun, a rare thing inside the small hideaway canyon. The Bull would make the effort to be laying in this  spot as the sun clocked over it, warming his scarred  flank under the soft wash of gentle heat. As the years had passed, the old wounds gave him trouble and were stiffened from the mountain nights that were so cold this high on Bull Mountain. In this way he grew in weight and his velveted crown reached higher and higher as each day passed. Still, when summer had drifted through July, the Bull had not grown a larger set of antlers this year. In fact, large though they were (and they were larger still than the largest on the mountain) the Bull's antlers were a little bit smaller than the years previous.

Sometimes, and only at night, the Bull would leave the safety of the canyon and walk the edge of the open parks where he had spent the early years of his life. He never allowed himself out into the open, having learned long ago that even in the semi-darkness of a quarter moon in the open was danger. He had seen enough that convinced him of this. Those experiences had informed his already cautious nature to be even more so.
The Bull would wander among the aspen and the low growing spruce, visiting familiar wallows, but only to drink from nearby seeps.  Morning would find him back in the safety of the hidden canyon, having returned well before dawn while the breezes came to him as he climbed the steep and timbered trace to its entrance...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©