3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anybody shoot over 12 grain per pound  (Read 1759 times)

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Anybody shoot over 12 grain per pound
« on: June 26, 2007, 03:00:00 PM »
I have my bows set up to shoot between 11.50 and 12 grains per pound of draw weight.  I was wondering if anybody sets up their bows for 13 or 14 grains per pound or more.  I shoot 50 and 53# bows FWIW.    :eek:
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anybody shoot over 12 grain per pound
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 03:46:00 PM »
Well I just did the calc and my set up is for 13gpp. I know Pete Ward who runs that site  www.peteward.com  is set up even higher and shoots 50# bows.
In my case I don't shoot at animals farther than 15 yards 'cause the stalk is my favorite part so heavier is in no way a problem. Until this year I was over 14 gpp but switched wood type mainly to shoot 3d and hunt with the exact same set up.

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 04:10:00 PM »
My African set up for this year is a 66# bow with a nearly 900 grain Grizzlystick Safari.  It flies well and should be heck on critters.  I have been practicing routinely with it and can't tell any difference out to 25 yards.  I am sure there is some, but my brain adjusts for it without me noticing.

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 04:36:00 PM »
Yep, I like to shoot around 13 grns myself. No noise, no vibration, and goes really, really deep. I don't have a care in the world about speed. I only care about quiet, deep penetration. CK

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 05:10:00 PM »
Curtis,
That almost sounds a little.......well, nasty   :biglaugh:

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 05:34:00 PM »
Yep, I likes heavy. My hunting arrows are 800gr + out of 60# bows. Zip right through every animal I have shot.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 05:41:00 PM »
I am set up at 13gr per. Bow is "mouse" quiet. I don't shoot past 25steps and really cannot tell any difference.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 07:14:00 PM »
The math tells me that I'm at 13.26, and I'm only shooting 45#. It's slow as h*#l, but the kinetic energy numbers tell me it's where I want to be.
Bret
Bret M. FullER

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 07:39:00 PM »
Stick with the heavy arrow for hunting all the time! If you have good flight right off the bow and it shoots quiet, you're ahead of the game.

Think about it this way ... A beach ball and a bowling ball are rolling at you at the same speed. Maybe the beach ball is faster. Which one will be easy to stop? Get the picture?

Hey ... I hunt on the ground, stalking. Don't shoot over twenty yards (at big game) anyway. What do I know? ...  :rolleyes:  ... My 2 cents.

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 10:00:00 PM »
I am an outspoken advocate of heavy arrows for heavy game, and pretty much everything else Ed Ashby has proven re arrow penetration and lethality. Out of more elk taken with bows than dignity allows me to count, the two cleanest and fastest kills both were shooting 13.7 per (two-blade heads, slender shafts, etc.) But I'm also confident that 10 per is plenty for deer, and I don't trust my accuracy with real heavy arrows beyond 13 yards, which is pretty limiting. I would drop to 10 for trophy bucks or even 9 for young bucks, does or pronghorn, to increase range.  

Bottom line to me is that while we may miss some shot ops with heavy arrows, and sling a few low, that beats hell out of watching a gorgeous animal run off with an arrow flopping from it due to lousy penetration resulting from lack of momentum. The heavier the game, the heavier the arrow, that's my formula for no more heartbreak. dave

Offline grizzlyxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 10:33:00 PM »
Traditional bows like heavy arrows.  I shoot a 50lb recurve with 725gr arrows.  I don't see much difference inside 20 yards.  Almost all of my hunting is whitetails out of tree stands inside 20 yards.  Bow is quiter and no worrys about penetration, no downsides for me.

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 10:50:00 PM »
my bows are chronoing (is that a word   :jumper:  ) out at 150 fps out of the bow.  Doesn't mean much to me...I was just at a place where there was a machine so I shot them.  Silence is golden...missed a deer last year and she didn't run away from the noise.  Could have shot again but passed the second shot.  Made me a believer in silence over speed.
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 11:09:00 PM »
Silence over speed anyday.

Deep penetration and a bit of insurance in case of hitting heavy bone gets a big thumbs up from me, overall for hunting purposes I don't see how you can't just love heavy arrows.

I'm limited on how heavy I can get them with woodys, but my alluminum are 880gr out of a 70# bow
"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 04:27:00 AM »
I shoot 12 per right now but I have shot up to 18 per. Mopst of that weight is up front on my carbons and they hit with tremendous force and bury themselves into high density 3D targets. Whomever pulls arrows at a 3D shoot allows mentions how much deeper my arrows are in the targets.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline jeff / sc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 08:14:00 AM »
Around 13 grns for me....for same reasons others have already stated.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2007, 08:30:00 AM »
Around 13gpp for me too.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2007, 10:28:00 AM »
Just wondering if any of you guys with shorter draw lengths ever hit your self in the foot with those arrows?   :bigsmyl:
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2007, 10:37:00 AM »
I have stated for a long time that a heavier arrow will give better penetration because of the stored kinetic energy and have had a lot of compounders give me heck claiming light and fast was better.  My worst shots at game were many years ago when I tried the light and fast theory.  Not any more.  That is one reason I make Hickory arrow shafts.

Dennis

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2007, 10:39:00 AM »
James,
Thankfully I have small feet   :biglaugh:

Offline Strutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2007, 10:44:00 AM »
To make it easy for everyone, if you're not having to weigh your arrows on bathroom scales, you aren't shooting enough weight.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©