3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quillian Bamboo Longhunter Brace height  (Read 275 times)

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Quillian Bamboo Longhunter Brace height
« on: June 08, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
Would this be better in the collector's forum?

I dunno...

Anyway, I'm looking to find out what the brace height should be for my new-to-me 68" Longhunter.

Also, would anyone know if it's OK to use a modern string? It looks like it only has wooden tip-overlays, so I'm guessing no (& that's fine) & I should stick with B50.
I just can't STAND the stuff, all flexible & wobbly, & I'd prefer a D97 if possible.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quillian Bamboo Longhunter Brace height
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 04:31:00 PM »
Don't recall the brace height, but I can find out. Although the tip overlays are wooden, they are fairly overbuilt, and I believe all of Dan's bows are ff compatable, and approved by with DQ ahead of the serial number. My friend has been shooting D97 on his for several years and another type of ff before that with no ill effects.
The only Quillian bow I have seen with smallish tips is the Bamboo Custom straight end longbow.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline PatriarchArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
I owned one for years. Mine always shot really well with a brace height of 7 1/2". I owned one from the late 80's and was told not to shoot anything but Dacron.
60" MOAB 55# @ 27"
CE Predator II

So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.             1 Corinthians 10:31

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 05:23:00 PM »
Dan always said 6&1/2". I shot mine at 7&1/2 too and every time I'd set it down, he'd unstring it and lower it and string it back.

I shot FF string..never tried anything else
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 06:01:00 PM »
they were made for FF. used to see Dan quite often in those days. Good bow
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 06:55:00 PM »
I shot mine at 6&3/4" brace,and I've shot 450+ and D97 on my Longhunter's.I remember in a video of Dan setting up a Longhunter he shot 450+ on it,the only bows I shoot dacron on are a couple of older vintage recurves.

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 07:53:00 PM »
Yes, HP strings! Any well made Longbow should be shot with them! Dan was a fan of 450. Just ask the Protege longbow man. He said he made 'em for Dan!

What arrow did you decide on, Rob?

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 09:51:00 PM »
Cool beans! No more wobbly, floppy, elastic band!

Thanks for the info guys. Frank, I'm gonna give the 2219's a go. Leave 'em full length & mess around with point weight for a while, then see how short & heavy I can get 'em  :D
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
I will be the discenting opinion here. I had a longhunter (should not have traded it). I always shot B-50 (still do), the guy I traded it to switched to FF and the bow tip failed. Now this was years ago in the late 80's early 90's maybe the longhunter bows tips were updated but if its wood and not micarta I would be cautious. But they didnt have all the other materals back then just b-50 and FF. Dont remember the brace height but I shot mine on the low side because thats the way I shoot all my bows 6.5 to 7 seems about what I remember. I have never had the issues with b-50 others seem to have. I twist my own strings and maybe thats why, do they strech a little yes but a twist on occasion is no big deal to me.

A longhunter was first longbow. Man I whish I had it back.

Good luck

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »
Toally agree with Jack on the B-50! When you build your own, and quality work, your in more control.

I also remember those times, and when F.F. hit the market, alot of folks wouldn't reinforce the loops of the strings! They were using the same strand counts, 14, 16, as the standard, like dacron!

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 03:32:00 PM »
I bought my Bamboo Longhunter from Dan in '88, and soon after that he started putting FF on them. The string he sent me didn't have the extra strands in the loops, and my upper tip failed, cut through by the FF. Tom Jeffrey rebuilt it for me, still with wood overlays, and Dan started putting the extra strands in the loops, problem corrected. Always pad the loops.

Measuring from the belly side of the shelf (not the grip) it should be strung at a little over 6" using a FF string of 12 or 14 strands, or equivalent in other low-stretch material. Using Dacron, it should be at about 7".

Mine was rated 67# at 28" but actually measured 64# with the FF string. I shot 30" 2219's out of it with 160 grain Thunderheads, this being before I started making wood shafts, and killed a 4X3 bull elk with it the first season I hunted with it. In the picture it still has Dacron on it, strung at about 7".

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 04:45:00 PM »
When I had mine FF was brand new (man I am getting old). So it sounds like the guy I traded the bow too didnt pad the loops which could have caused the failure. Thats sounds probable to me. I dont remember anyone talking about padding loops back then, but that one incident stopped me from ever going to FF.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©