3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How is your elk draw??  (Read 623 times)

Offline BSBD

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How is your elk draw??
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, 12:10:00 AM »
Larry,

Have you joined UBNM? Are you familiar with how the draw will be affected next year? We'll get  slightly better odds but it's just a start.

There are also some units here that are easier to draw but still have good elk numbers if you know where to look.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2011, 01:18:00 AM »
Chris, how about 2012?  I am up for it.

I have been following the NR tag issue in NM a little and know it has been controversial. I don't know all the details. My friends have been hunting 6A and 6C for 10 years and are about 30 percent on draws as non residents. We use a guide and I think that helps.  If it is any consolation I will probably never draw a Tule elk tag in my home state.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2011, 08:08:00 AM »
Dang Norbert I had no idea you had hip issues.I did not think guys that were built that low to the ground could have such issues.  :pray:  
Dont forget to milk it for all its worth with your lady.She would be disapointed it you did'nt.
Bill

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2011, 08:27:00 AM »
I'm headed back to my favorite unit which will remain nameless  ;)      

It's not one of the popular units, but it will work for me.  :bigsmyl:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2011, 08:51:00 AM »
Heading to the Bighorns of WY for first time elk hunt.  Lost 40lbs and have been shooting pretty good.  Need to step up the shooting some more but I'll be ready.
"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2011, 09:20:00 AM »
I'm opting for o er the counter tags in CO.  I hate to part with the $ though.  Remember when it was only 250? 550 seems like I'm gettin robbed.

Offline Cool Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2011, 09:56:00 AM »
BSBD:  No, I'm not a member , but I'm giving it some serious thought. I've done exactly what you reccomended. Yesterday I received a permit for an unpopular area which probably contains 1 elk for every 50 permits. Oh well who ever said life is fair? I pretty much got it off my chest last night. Once in a while I just have to vent. At least nobody so far has told me that I'm full of crap.  Larry

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
Come on Whip. Give us a state.     :)

Colo pref point

Wyo tag

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2011, 10:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by beachbowhunter:
Ermont, scedvm, I drew 6A ELK-2-184 (first archery). We will be hunting in the mountains east of Cuba. Got a great guide (Rob Degner) who knows it inside out. Same place I shot the bull in my avatar in 2008.

I had a left hip resurfacing last January and hunted elk in Sept. It held up great but I ground down the right side doing it!  this is a little close for comfort but couldnt be helped. Thanks for the well wishes.
Good luck on your hunt Norb!  Better take lots of pics  :readit:  

Hope the surgery and recovery go well too...gotta be ready to take that up close and personal shot on a screaming bull when the opp presents itself....Should be a blast!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »
OTC Utah archery elk tag is my tag of the year.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by Lost Arra:
Come on Whip. Give us a state.      :)  

Alright.  NM - but that's all I'm saying.  :D  

Also got points for CO, AZ, UT, & WY.  Hope to cash in on some good hunts in the future.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline ShadeMt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
After years of hunting Colorado, I have drawn a general tag for WY and am heading to the Bridger Teton National Forest in west central WY.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2011, 11:40:00 AM »
I know where the ole Whipper will be camped!!!
It's getting to feel like home on the ridge, isn't it Joe?  :D

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2011, 03:28:00 PM »
Whip when you get ready for UT give me a call  :)
Good luck this year guys. I'm with Jimmy on this one an otc elk tag, unless I draw some antlerless.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Cool Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »
Thank you guys for confirming. If you have enough dinero to apply for 52 states you'll be the winners. Piss on the home boys. I'm not blaming you. I just believe the systen should be set up a little different so that residents had a fair shot. Guess i didn't get it all off my chest last night. Good luck.
   Larry

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2011, 12:12:00 AM »
I hesitate to respond, because I really don't want to argue Cool Arrow.  But in NM residents get a minimum of 78% of the tags this year.  Starting next year it will go to 82% from what I have read.  That's a pretty big advantage over the NR.  

Of course, there are more residents applying for the available tags than non-residents, but in reading the draw odds reports put out by Game & Fish the chances of a resident drawing a tag are still better than a non-resident.  

No doubt some units are tougher to draw than others.  I have never drawn one of the high demand units like the Gila, etc.  The second tier units don't receive as much attention.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline scedvm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2011, 12:59:00 AM »
Whip I have been thinking the same thing as you because I don't like the conflict either.  If you study the draw odds report your odds are much better for us residents than for non-residents and with the revamping of the draw and tag prepayment the draw is getting much more reasonable anyways.  I drew my second HD unit in as many years but have been blanked before also.  With a no preference point system it is a complete random draw each year and the resident and non resident tags are alloted prior to the draw and have nothing to do with one another anyways.

Offline Cool Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2011, 08:23:00 AM »
I stand corrected.
    Larry

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2011, 02:43:00 PM »
Joe as usual you are spot on. Also, there is a slight preference if you go through an in-state outfitter. I know the in-state DIY hunters had heartburn over that part but the percentage of overall tags going to NR is very low.  We feel very lucky to have drawn this time, but in past years we've had to buy both a license and a land owner tag to get in the game. When we drew last year, they suggested it was because of the bad economy and the number of applications was way, way down.

Offline Elk whisperer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2011, 04:38:00 PM »
2nd choice 16s
The older I get the better I was

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©