3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Predator Camo- Terry Green comment?  (Read 775 times)

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
Predator Camo- Terry Green comment?
« on: June 08, 2011, 07:56:00 PM »
I'm going to pick up some Predator camo for this years hunting season and in reading here I noticed that Terry made the comment "theres something to be said about his Spring Green camo and brown pants". I tried looking at some more threads to see if he says anything more about this, but couldn't find it. Although I seen where several others say they wear different patterns on the bottom in comparison to the top.

Whats the idea or the something to be said about this? An inquiring mind wants to know.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Predator Camo- Terry Green comment?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 08:06:00 PM »
I have three sets (10 pairs of each) of Spring Green, Fall Gray and the discontinued Fall Brown.

When I'm in the mesquite country of south Texas, I wear a Spring Green long sleeve shirt with Fall Brown Pants.

If I deer looks right at out in the open, if there's foliage behind you and you don't move, a deer can't see you. This has been my observation.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »
Jeff...maybe its in my mind...but I think the brown pants 'cut me in half'...and the lower part of me is out of the equation and dismissed by the animal.

Like I said....maybe its just in my head....

I also tuck my chin down when the animal is looking at me...and look through the 'leaves' like a sheep dog through my 'silly hat'....maybe that is in my head too....but I've had a lot of close encounters...and had many animal run, walk and feed right up to my boot laces. Lots of times this happens when I'm caught out of cover as well.

I also will email ya something....
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 08:23:00 PM »
I used to love predator grey... then hung it & several other camo top and bottoms on hangers in the winter woods...gentle breeze.

Some blob. Predator doesn't...but the fairly "white" areas when the breeze would blow would fluff the coat/pants on the hanger... I was perpedicular to the camo talking to someone.

I'd catch a "flash" out of the corner of my eye and whip my head.

We finally videoed it all and could find only that when the predator grey would "move" the white blob would catch my peripheral attention.

I went with more linear, strong positive- negative patterns after that but still think the predator brown and green might be the ticket.

I also mix camo.  When it's all the same, you still present an abstract form of a man's outline.

With different top and bottom, it' just elimenates the man shape I think.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »
Dock...yep...I don't like fall gray....the white seems to 'flag' you too much....OK from the trees...but on the ground the white is too white for me...and we don't get enough snow around here.  

PLUS...Predator seems to hide me in the open....I like that.

If you 'black n white' fall brown and spring green...there's not much difference.  So I just stick to the one color....cept my wool is fall brown.....cause they don't make it in spring green.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 08:36:00 PM »
Like a camelion, because you can see it is why it works. Notice my test animal, my dog, trying to find me.

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 08:36:00 PM »
I love the fall grey in the winter woods. The biggest deer I never got a shot at was 3 yards and in my mind thought I was a shrub. When I wear camp it's Predator mix and match
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 08:53:00 PM »
I don't really wear much commercial camo as such , but I always ensure that my pants are very different to my tops/ jackets ...
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
Doesn't matter how you where it or what pattern you get, wear it for 1 season and you will be a believer the stuff is awesome
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
I wear different patterns on the top and bottom also. Brown Carharts on the bottom, and a plaid shirt on top. This has worked very well for me the last few years, and it's a heck of alot cheaper.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
Thanks guys. I'm going to pick up a few of the lighter weight shirts for the early Fall hunts and then I'm going to buy the Brown Deception Fleece w/ Windshear from Cabelas for the later season.

Never thought of breaking up the upper body from the lower body. Interesting.

Offline bendbig

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
I like the spring green here in Ky. I will wear a shirt in predator spring green and pants in a light weight wool (army surplus) works well year round, has fooled many a turkey and deer.   :bigsmyl:
Glenn
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Associate

Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me, Gen 27:3

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by bendbig:
I like the spring green here in Ky. I will wear a shirt in predator spring green and pants in a light weight wool (army surplus) works well year round, has fooled many a turkey and deer.    :bigsmyl:  
Thats what I am going to get. Look forward to sitting real still in it and hopefully not stinking too bad!

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »
I am also a fan of the two pattern break up "system". I mainly hunt from treestands, so  I like the white in Predator Fall Gray. Early season its fall gray pants with ASAT on top. Once it gets cold and the snow flies here in Michigan its, Fall Gray on top and ASAT wool pants on bottom.
If you notice most animals,  there natural colors are dark on top, and lighter the further down the body you get. If you notice a deer for example its hair along it backbone can be almost black, but as you proceed down to the belly the hair gets lighter and eventually its all white belly. Same for a trout, darker on top, and almost silver white on the bottom. Perfect camo pattern from a perfect Creator. I try to match that in my appoach to camo.

chris <><

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 08:08:00 AM »
i wear brown or green carharts pants because they are really old/soft.  my top depends on how hot or cold it is.  
i dont mix on purpos. i just like carharts pants.
this is interesting topic with mixing up the camo from top and bottom though.  what terry said makes sence to me.

dang. all this time i thought i was getting close because i was that good. hahaha
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 10:46:00 AM »
Good thread and good info here. I just would have never thought of it. I think its important for us that hunt only on the ground.

Offline Ladams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »
Terry
Where did you get that famous hat you wear, Id like to get one for myself.
Larry
Soverign balistick 62"62#@28
Soverign balistick 62"60#@28
Krewson Snakey Osage 64" 52#@28
Seven lakes longbow 64" 59#@28
Moab 62"58#@28"
Big Jim thunderchild 58" 50@28"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 11:30:00 AM »
Still hunting parallel to my buddy in Colorado a few years ago I watched him disappear every time he stopped moving. He was wearing the spring green Predator. I like the fall brown very much.

However, these days I've switched to another camo pattern and brand.  I have a variety of different patterns and brands. Number one for me is silence. Then the pattern, utility, and comfort.

Camo has been my bowhunter uniform since 1970. Whether the critters I hunt are fooled any better by it or not I wouldn't be hunting without it. I also hunt squirrels wearing full camo (doves and turkey as well).

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 11:51:00 AM »
I think Terry's theory on one type on the top and different on the bottom is valid. I've been using it for years and 90% of what I'm doing is in trees.

Here's another tip I use for those that hunt from hardwood trees.  One of my favorite stand locations has a multiple trunk situation that I prefer, but they are small and the tree is on a knoll that the deer like to cut across above or below. Since it's a maple tree, it drops it's leaves in mid to late October and then I'm more likely to be seen from certain angles.  At the beginning of each hunting season, I trim some limbs from pine trees and tie them off to the maple limbs extending off around my stand. Not too many, but just enough to break things up a little (the little bungie cords work well for this).  Since their up before leaf drop, which is usually gradual, the deer seem to be used to this "funny looking pine/maple" during the rut and late season.  This is on my parents private land, so no issue with the cutting.  There are some commercial products out there that would accomplish the same thing, but I think it's important to get them up before leaf drop so that it's not something "new". This is the only tree that I do this with, because it's the only place that I really want to be, but no other options.

I think this is a great topic and as Terry says, it's "opinion" but I think valid from my point of view.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline highPlains

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 12:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
Jeff...maybe its in my mind...but I think the brown pants 'cut me in half'...and the lower part of me is out of the equation and dismissed by the animal.
Hmmm...interesting thought! Can't believe I've never heard anybody else say this, or thought of it myself. Seems pretty smart. Makes so much sense I might just try it myself.
>>---> TC
Rocky Mountain Specialt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©