3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: * Leaving for Oz!  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: * Leaving for Oz!
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2006, 09:20:00 AM »
Thankyou all and Rick was right.  It's a great place!  One thing I forgot to mention about Hog tusk.  When we rolled this one over to see where the exit hole was one of it's tusk got caught in my boot laces.  I reached down to pick up it's head to free myself and grabbed the best looking handle I saw.  Turned out it was the lower tusk on the left side.  :confused:  Well you know them stories you here about a pigs tusk being razor sharp?  Wel I can attest to that!  I tried to pick that hog's head up by that tusk and sliced my finger open like I had run a straight razor over it!  :scared:  I didn't feel a thing, saw lots of blood, I let it bleed out for a little while to clean it as his tusk didn't look real clean then I put a bulk dressing on it and pullled a latex glove over it.  All that was left to do was superglue it shut when we got back to the ranch.  I had shot 3 pigs before this but never one with good size ivory.  When folks talk about razor sharp tusk they aint kidden!  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline Mark U

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2006, 12:34:00 PM »
Too cool, Joseph.  We leave on Aug. 4th for three weeks of the same.

Question on the broadheads.  I'm going to use the two blade Eclipse for buff, and will probably take some Woodsmans for deer, but am still undecided on the hog medicine.  From the sounds of it, the bleeder blades may be a big help getting through a big boar.  I've had marginal penetration on a couple of big boars in Texas with the WW when they get into the shield.  Thoughts?
So don't wait until you retire to go hunting and fishing.  Don't even wait for your annual vacation.  Go at every opportunity.  Things that appear urgent at the moment may, in the long run, turn out to be far less so.

Ted Trueblood

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2006, 01:05:00 PM »
I suspect the 2 blade Eclipse would be very good on hogs, and the 4 blade (see the above proof!) is good medicine if you have the arrow weight to get it through!  If you've got heavy shafts prepared for buff, just put the 4 blades on a few for hogs.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2006, 01:08:00 PM »
Joseph, I think I read somewhere that the Aussies don't eat these hogs because they taste terrible for some reason. Was that true in your area?  If it is, that's a darn shame. Nothing better than free range pork!

PS. are we gonna see you in Sept for the Montana Goat Sweat with Leo?
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2006, 03:33:00 PM »
Joseph, that hog in your photo has BIG tusks, you don't often see more than that sticking out of the jaw. When you boil and pull them out, what you see sticking out of the jaw is only 1/3 of the total length. On mounted ones you see with big long teeth, the taxidermist "improved" on the live version. Ryan Rothaar became a believer last year, he shot a bunch of BIG boars with his buff head the 160 STOS and you know he gets the Snuffers free. I think on his first three boars the recovery distance was something like 7 FEET.
I became a believer on not eating the pigs after I have kicked lots of them out of dead rotten cattle and buffalo carcases. I don't like to even touch them, let alone eat them. I've seen them sleeping inside a nasty rotten carcase AND still smell a hunter in an instant if the wind changed, how bad must we smell?

Offline Glenn Newell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2006, 04:48:00 PM »
The wild pigs is OZ taste really good, it's the best pork you will ever eat but we don't often eat them because of disease, some people have died miserable deaths over the years. There use to be wild pig abbitoirs over the years but they have all been closed down because of the health risks...Glenn...

Offline jindydiver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2006, 05:40:00 PM »
:wavey:  
That's just you poor Queensland guys Glenn. I wouldn't touch a QLD pig except to kick it in the guts to roll it over to get to the tusks, smelly wormy mongrels. You see lots of trophy pics from up the cape with guys almost cuddling the pig, I wonder how many of them hurl about 2 seconds after the pic is taken  "[laffsmyl]"  

I still eat every pig I shoot here in the south, like you say best pork available  :)  Shame we don't have as many down here  :(

Mick

Offline Glenn Newell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2006, 06:02:00 PM »
Jindy it's a bloody shame we cant take our pigs to one of the game abbitoirs and have them tested like they do for the German wild pig market. When I was a young fella back in the early 70's myself and a couple of mates had a nice wild pig business, we use to trap wild pigs on the wheat and milo paddocks and bring them back to Brisbane, the Italians use to buy them off us for salami, it was fantastic salami, we ate plenty of those pigs and we were never sick.
I would think twice about eating a pig that was backing out of the stomach cavity of a dead horse or cow though. Pigs out of good river country are very good eating...Glenn...

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2006, 06:35:00 PM »
We did eat one pig, it was a smaller one, around 40-50 pounds on the hoof.  Bill checked several different organs in it looking for signs of disease or parasites.  It was really good.  He also said that around Tully they shoot pigs to eat that are on Banana plantations.  Alan said the same about the area around Mackay where the pigs live in sugarcane fields.  If they are strictly vegetarian they are okay.  It is the ones that are eating carcasses that need to be avoided.  On broadheads I don't think that the bleeder blades helped with penetration.  What I think it did do was help with a better blood trail which wasn't needed in this case.  Mark U, I think you would be okay with woodsmans if you are shooting a heavy enough bow/arrow combo but how you decide what that is I am not sure.  I do know that Bill is a big believer of putting Vaseline on the broadheads to aid in penetration.  Beachbowhunter, I don't know, Leo hasn't said anything to me about it but it is a definate possibility if he goes to his usual goat hunting area.  It is pretty close to where I live.  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2006, 10:32:00 AM »
well done! thank you for sharing.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2006, 10:41:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :archer:

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2006, 02:50:00 AM »
Sounds like an awesome trip Joseph! Congrats on that big boar!  :thumbsup:
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2006, 04:06:00 AM »
Well it's good to see your post at last mate, some real good pics there. Me and the Family just got back from the Traditional shoot at Gladestone. Got rained on, caught up with Bill and had a good time all round. Simon kicked butt and took out all trophies. Must stop making that fella arras!

I'm glad to hear you had no troubles with the skins mate.

Kelly and the Kids say Hi, and everytime we have a meat pie we think of you and Dom!

See you in 2008 mate, in Oz, al.  :wavey:
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Online Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2006, 07:00:00 AM »
Congratulations, Joseph! Great shooting on an awesome pig, and thanks for sharing your adventure! Welcome back!
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2006, 03:46:00 AM »
More pics Jo Jo!

:readit:
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2006, 09:20:00 AM »
Way to go guys! Sounds like a great trip all around.  Thanks for sharing it with us Joseph and congratulations.  You are to be complimented on your hunting and your photos.  That is one of the best "hero" pics I've seen.  I like the way you used the arrow shaft and your smile tells a story of its own.  I hope you bring that photo to Pittsburgh in '08.
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2006, 02:37:00 PM »
Thankyou all, don't have anymore pictures to post, I'm glad you liked the story.  Joseph

Offline NEW GUY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2006, 11:14:00 PM »
Not sure how I missed this until now Joseph.  Congrats on what sounds like a awesome trip.
"Good Judgement comes from experience, and alot of that comes from Bad Judgement."

Offline Yance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2006, 11:41:00 AM »
Great storey Joseph! as always.
Yes I am a Pirate, 300 years to late, cannons don't thunder there's nothing to plunder...

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2006, 03:42:00 AM »
Hey Joseph - I may have missed it but what is the bow that you used??

Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©