3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: which packframe to carry elk meat  (Read 508 times)

Offline Joe Subler

• Trad Bowhunter
which packframe to carry elk meat
« on: June 09, 2011, 07:28:00 PM »
My buddy and I are planning another elk hunt in 2012 to Idaho.  I am not getting any younger and remember that the last time we went the pack frame I used for hauling out elk meat was extremely uncomfortable.  I've had it for years so think it's time for an investment that will ease the pain in these oldshoulders/back/hips.    Any suggestions you guys can give on a good brand to get (tried and tested) will be appreciated.  :notworthy:  

Thanks,
Joe
62" Mohawk  53#@27"

Offline David Sapp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: which packframe to carry elk meat
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
Bullpacs is a nice frame, Kelty has a well built hauler frame also.

I really like internals and have a Kifaru and also a Mystery Ranch Crew Cab. I'll likely list the Crew Cab for sale at some point, but both packs are excellent, but I prefer the Kifaru more for my particular use and body type.

A used, well built expedition grade internal frame pack such as a Dana Design, a Gregory etc can be pretty inexpensive and just use meat bags to haul the meat and wash the blood out well. You can find them pretty easily and in good shape on a local craigslist or fleabay.

Get some gear together and drive down to the Smokies and hike for a few days for a try out.

David
Hunting with the bow and arrow involves earning your way by making meat, getting your hands messy in the process and then recognizing your own reflection upon them.
"The Squirrel Chronicles"
Dean Torges

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 07:53:00 PM »
What David said about Kifaru, I haven't used one to pack out meat as yet but from what I have read about them, there are plenty of people that have, and that know a lot more about that than I do.

Good luck on your elk hunt.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »
Might take a look at the Eberlestock Blue Widow also. It is an internal frame pack that is flexible in how you use it.
  http://www.eberlestock.com/JP9%20Blue%20Widow.htm

Scroll down on this page and there is a video that is instructional on it's setup and uses.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 08:29:00 PM »
Bull pac all the way
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 08:48:00 PM »
Kifaru     :notworthy:    :notworthy:

if you are just hauling meat and don't need the pack:
 http://kifaru.net/longhunter_hauler.html    

expensive and worth it

the only limiting factor will be the strength in your legs

my daughter (23yrs old) has carried over 60# in an MMR

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 09:03:00 PM »
Counting chickens already   ;)    :readit:    :rolleyes:    

Good luck on your hunt.   :thumbsup:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Longbowz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 09:40:00 PM »
Any of the external freighter frames work.  I have a Cabela’s Alaska pack that works well.  I also have had an old Kelty Super Tioga for years and it's good too.  I do like the shelf on the freighter models better though.

In my opinion the external frame packs are more comfortable, versatile and quite a bit lighter - cheaper too.  Especially with the odd shaped loads that meat packing sometimes requires. Maybe that's why they are the preferred pack with quite a few Alaska guide types.  I'm sure some will disagree now that internal frame packs are now the new wiz bang design.  Actually I have one too; I just think they reach their load limit sooner than an external frame does in this application.
I find the older I get, the less I used to know!

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 09:51:00 PM »
I don't hunt elk, but I have used an Eberlestock Halftrack extensively doing field research here in NJ.  Many miles and hours logged hiking with lots of gear.  Eberlestock makes a very high quality product at a very nice price in my opinion.  I would check them out.  They have a wide variety of models to choose from.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 09:59:00 PM »
Kifaru. There pack frames are awesome. You can usually pick up some deals on used ones on their website message boards trading post for a good price. If you can land a hauler frame with a cargo chair, you can pack anything you want.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »
I prefer a pack that can function both as a day pack and a meat hauler.  An internal frame pack can do that.  For the money, I really like the Eberlestock packs, not just because I sell them, but because they work ideally for the way that I hunt elk.  I don't want to have to hike back to camp or the truck to get frame to haul meat.

For day hunts the Eberlestock X2 is ideal.  Small enough to be a perfect day pack, and strong enough to haul meat.  You'll find lots of good reviews from plenty of people that have used them.  

For extended overnight bivy type hunts, the Eberlestock Blue Widow is a great pack.  Plenty of room for everything you need for extended stays, and compacts down small enough to hunt with daily.

You can check them out on my website below and also on the Eberlestock link posted above for more details.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »
For elk I prefer the mule.....but a good horse comes in a close second.  Nothing easier on the shoulders, hips, and back then a few of them.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »
I did what I think was a lot of research, and for the money look at the Eberlstock X2 with a spike camp duffle bag strapped to outside along with spike tent and sleeping bag.  Leave all but the X2 at spike camp and you have a near perfect combination IMHO.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline k9bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 10:33:00 PM »
Check out the Mystery Ranch Nice frame. It does double duty and is extremely comfortable.

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »
I'm with Walt, but I vote llama's.  (and I own pack horses too.)   :)  

If I have to carry meat, its a Mystery Ranch Crew cab.  It compresses down to a day pack but can be extended to haul serious loads.  Love it.

Offline 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 01:26:00 AM »
I have a Bull Pack. The frame is solid but the shoulder straps don't hold the pack against your back when it is loaded. I had what are called load lifter straps sewed into the front of the of the shoulder straps and ran these back to the frame top x-bar so I could pull the top of the frame to my back.  Any good suspension will have load lifter straps external or internal frame the Bull Pack falls short in the suspension area.  I had a Camp Trails freighter frame with their moose bag and shelf.  The lower frame cross member failed on the last trip out with an elk quarter on board when I lowered the pack to the ground at the truck.  I still have the bull pack but have a Lowe Alpine and Arcterx internal frames as  well.  Try before you buy LOAD IT UP  in the store and walk around.  Lowe Alpine rates their packs for weight ranges I don't know about other mfgs.

Offline wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 05:55:00 AM »
I'm looking at the Mystery Ranch Crew Cab because of its flexibility and the fact that I can use it around here hauling treestands and packing pigs out of the swamp.  I figure that extra use justifies the expense.

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 06:46:00 AM »
Walt and Jeff got the right idea!!!!

Unless you are built like a bull (or can toss a couple of P&Y midwestern whitetails over your shoulders like Mike M) or just young and enthusiastic (or wanna be), pack animals cannot be beat.  Not bad to have one to ride in on as well......sure makes the decision on "how far do I have to go to get in away from other folks" a no-brainer.  If you don't like to ride....Jeff's option is really the cat's butt!  Low maintenance and low impact.

Then again.....in younger years.....I did the pack frame thing.  I always questioned my sanity afterwards though!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 08:31:00 AM »
Whatever pack you get make sure it fits you. I have a longer torso and can't use Eberlestock packs. The badlands 2200 is the only day pack/ meat hauler out there in my price range that will fit me. For the second load of meat I just purchased an REI XT 85 internal frame pack based on positive comments and recommendations of other elk hunters. If you have the $ you can't go wrong with Kifaru or Mystery Ranch. Pretty sure the horse/mule is the best idea     :D

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2011, 08:54:00 AM »
Kifaru would get my vote after watching my uncle pack a boned out, full grown cow elk, to the truck in one two mile trip. Granted he is a little insane and built like a tank, but the pack didn't fall apart with 120+ lbs of meat. He afterwards said that the pack itself didn't hurt his shoulders, back, and hips even with all that weight. Many of the Kifaru aficionados will tell you that the bigger packs can carry far more than you physically are capable of doing(read you can't break them) in relative comfort.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©