3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: which packframe to carry elk meat  (Read 507 times)

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: which packframe to carry elk meat
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »
You have gotten a lot of good info already. I have a host of packs and used many others. I agree with whip in that a pack that can do both is vital.

I have a badlands ox that is that pack for me right now. several 80lbs + trips last year and it carries very well. Other than some slight hardware issues that took a long time to get fixed it's my pick of packs I own.

I also have a Cabelas outfitter2. Nice pack great carry but to noisy to hunt in all the time.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2011, 09:46:00 AM »
Money will be well spent on a Bull-Pac, but ditto on sewing in the load lifter straps.
 www.bullpacs.com
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline David Sapp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2011, 02:19:00 PM »
Can you guys show the load lifter mod you've done on the Bullpac?
Hunting with the bow and arrow involves earning your way by making meat, getting your hands messy in the process and then recognizing your own reflection upon them.
"The Squirrel Chronicles"
Dean Torges

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
Mystery Ranch crew cab.  I hunt it for day hunts and will have it loaded for 10 days in Alaska next year.

It expands from 1900ci to well over 5000ci.  I have owned black creek, crooked horn, Gregory, badlands and now only use the MR CC.  

Good luck on your hunt!
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2011, 05:25:00 PM »
I have a Bullpac frame and haven't had any problems with it.  I use it for a variety of things, packed 85 pounds to 11,400'to setup a 2 week camp and it hauled fine on the 5 mile trek. I've also packed a few deer out using the same frame.
Gary Logsdon

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
I got the Mystery ranch Wolfpack and it may be pricey but well worth it ...  Just my .002
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2011, 01:16:00 AM »
Another Mystery Ranch fan here also.

Worth the price, IMO.
Support the sport!

Offline Joe Subler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2011, 08:10:00 AM »
Lots of good advice here guys, I really appreciate it and will be checking them all out!!
   :thumbsup:  

Joe
62" Mohawk  53#@27"

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2011, 01:51:00 PM »
I have been using the cabelas alaskan 2 the last few years, hard to beat for the money, comfortable, lots of adjustments, well built.
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Karl Kortemeier

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2011, 02:01:00 PM »
You guys are probably going to laugh, but I converted my child carrier into a meat hauler. It is an older aluminum framed one. Works great. I have used it for deer and not elk however. Just an idea.   Oh. Made by kelty.

Offline iron_llama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2011, 03:36:00 PM »
I've been using a Cabella's pack frame (I think it's the 'Alaskan Outfitter') for the past few years, in addition to an ALICE pack frame.  I'd be satisfied with the ALICE frame but the Cabella's pack frame is so much more comfortable, more adjustable, and has much more carrying capacity.  I've used it for hauling bear bait, firewood, water cans, dry bags over portages, chainsaws, and probably a bunch of things I can't remember.  My pack frame and my welding gloves (worn when adjusting campfire logs, water kettles, foil dinners, etc.) are my two favorite additions to my camping gear.

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »
Never been elk hunting, but I have put together what I think will work well-I have a Bullpack (big bull) frame and a Bison Gear First Trip Explorer with attachments for the frame for the pack into camp. From the research I've done the Bison Gear pack should work for the first trip out, so I will use it as a daypack. I figure on dropping off the first load and then picking up the Bullpack!? Should work o.k.
Hope to find out someday soon>>>------>Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline m laughlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2011, 12:04:00 AM »
i've carried over 40 elk quaters with a bull-pac. probably close to 100 if someone had counted. i would love to try a kifaru but nothing else. this is coming from using one type for the last 15 years with bias. i've watched several friends use lesser with lesser results. i've never seen a kifaru in person or in action and would love to try one, but as far as experiance with a bull-pac goes nothing else even comes close. i pack where a pack animal of any sort is useless other than me. tobaggans have came in handy a time or two i must admitt. as far as double duty i wouldn't have a clue as i hunt out of a wall tent and don't require it. good luck and fun is wished.
matt
"what your eyes ain't seen, your hands ain't touched,and your life ain't done ain't always safe for such easy judgement."-C.M. Sackett

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2011, 01:07:00 AM »
I bought an Eberlestock from Whip and I love it.  It's perfect for the two and three day weekends that I get to hunt elk.  Plenty of room for everything I need for a long weekend in the woods and will easily take a first load back out to the truck if I'm lucky enough to get one down.  Thanks, Whip!

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2011, 02:57:00 AM »
I've  tried most of them, but the Kifaru packs are my favorite by far.  my go to pack has been carrying out several elk a year for nearly a century now.  I still love it.   MY huntin partners have all gone to the kifaru, after packin with theres while I had on my longhunter.  

Good stuff, and patrick gets high marks for R&D, customer service and reliability.  

enjoy the search!
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline Tater 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2011, 08:15:00 AM »
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
PBS Associate
Colorado Bowhunters Association

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2011, 10:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by elkbreath:
I've  tried most of them, but the Kifaru packs are my favorite by far.  my go to pack has been carrying out several elk a year for nearly a century now.  
Wow!   :eek:    a Century?  You don't show your age at all.    :biglaugh:

Offline flinter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »
When I was Young and dumb, the old army wood board was my choice. When I geared up for Alaska seventeen years ago, I bought a Cabelas Alaskan freighter. Very comfy, after six caribou, and about 25 -30 elk, I finally tore the mesh rack on it last season. A very good pack board for the money. I also have the sack attached for game bags,saw, hatchet,  boned out meat, and rope

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©