3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thank You Rod Jenkins!  (Read 281 times)

Offline mparks

• Trad Bowhunter
Thank You Rod Jenkins!
« on: June 09, 2011, 09:57:00 PM »
Oh man!  I just got back from my first time on the 3D course since attending Rod’s class at the Flint Bowmen at the end of April.  Pretty pumped!

So I left the class having a real tough time actually feeling back tension properly.  I could fake my form into looking a lot like what I'd seen in videos, books, etc. but Rod was able to see that I was creeping forward at full draw and not pulling with my back to conclusion.  I was mostly just cheating to full draw by using my drawing arm.  I really struggled to draw the bow with my back muscles.  So much so that Rod told me to spend an extra week on the “string bow” and Formaster.  I think he said something to the effect of, “Boy, you’re hard-headed!”  Not easy to undo 20 years of bad habits I guess!

I did my drills for 21 days and stayed off the targets pretty well.  Did my bridge program and was able to get 5,10,15, and 20 done with 40 straight on each that seemed perfect to me.  Now if I were to start over on the bridge I’m sure it would take me a lot longer as my standards for a perfect shot are much higher now.  I still have a LONG way to go.

I've been shooting targets in the yard a little with quite a few “less thans”(meaning less than perfect).  After a “less than”, I’ve been heading right back to 2-3 yards from the target to work on the cause, usually a lapse in back tension.  I’d been shooting decent but I’m still not as consistent as I want to be.  Just like Rod says, my shot from 20 yards while aiming is often not the same shot I execute on the blind bail at 2 yards.

My oldest boy’s soccer practices are finally over and tonight I was able to hit our local Thursday night shoot.  For the first few targets I had almost all “less thans” with poor back-tension but I was still putting the arrow in the vitals pretty well.  After 4-5 targets I gained some confidence and was amazed at the control I had over my shots!  Last summer I had all kinds of trouble trying to “burn a hole” on a spot and could never decide on the right pace to draw the bow.  Really screwed with my concentration.  Tonight I pulled the string right back to anchor and kept thinking “Pull, Pull, Pull” like Rod preaches.  I also remembered to “shoot them as hard as you can”, meaning to keep pulling hard at anchor.

The last 10 targets of the round were a blast!  I really had no anxiety over blowing the shot and having to chase down an arrow.  There was no doubt in my mind where my arrows were going.  I was a long way from perfect but my bad shots were simply lapses in form that I know how to fix with more practice.  Rod provided the tools to troubleshoot bad shots.  A huge help!  I spend countless hours in my yard shooting bow year round.  Now I have some structure to my practice.  Like they say “Perfect practice makes perfect.”

Lot’s more work to do this summer but tonight was some much needed validation that I’m on the right track.

Thanks again Rod!
Mick Parks

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thank You Rod Jenkins!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »
Best money I spent was going to Rod's clinic. He earned his money trying to talk/coach me into a solid anchor. I enjoy shooting SO much more now, and because of that, I shoot so much more now. Congrats on getting what you needed from Rod, its a wonderful gift.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
:thumbsup:     :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 10:32:00 PM »
I thought you would find that class usefull    :D

Your other classmate I talked into it has had similar results.

So many of us have taught ourselves and "refined" our techniques from the horrible books and videos of old it sometimes amazes me we have done as well as we have.

Rod teaches good solid old time archery and it IS the best money I've ever spent on bowhunting.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 11:10:00 PM »
Rod is a class act and a great Instructor/Coach!

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 11:38:00 PM »
I bet Rod has more friends than anyone else in archery !

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 01:13:00 AM »
Yep,
I enjoyed the class I took.  In a weekend, Rod teaches you a set of fundamentals, and a method to build upon them, that will make most anybody a significantly better shooter.  If you have the opportunity take one of his classes.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Karl Kortemeier

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 04:59:00 AM »
I also took one of Rod's classes.  Best archery money I have ever spent.  I went from struggling to feeling confident every time I pull back the bow.  And if something does go wrong, I know how to fix it.

Offline Pierre Lucas

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 07:17:00 AM »
Jean-Pierre and I took Rod's class about a month ago and as everyone above has said, it is worth every penny.  Rod is a great guy with a positive approach.

God Bless,   Pierre
>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow---->

"if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much space..." God Knows!
>>>----->  SBD...Bow Strings ..."not just another bow string"   www.sbdbowstrings.com

Offline Imabowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 08:25:00 AM »
How can I find information on Rod's Schedule?

Offline mountbkr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
Posting so I can find later. I would like to hear more about Rod's class also.
Genesis 27.3

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 10:15:00 AM »
Proper instruction in conjunction with the ability to build trust and connect with the individual student is priceless.

Great job Rob!!

Well done Mick and thanks for sharing!!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 11:36:00 AM »
Hard headed????

You have no idea how many time he told me the same thing. :-)  :-)

Rod and I grew up together. When we were kids if you found one of us the other wasn't far away.

Once out of school we went in seperate ways.

Afew years ago at a tournament (when I still had Sticks and Feathers going) I heard someone holler hey Troy.....  I looked up because I knew the voice , but no faces matched. Later that day when things slowed down he stopped by my booth. Talk about suprised.... I had know idea he had started shootng traditional.

About a year or two later I had to have shoulder surgery. Once I was able to shoot again I found I wasn't able to do anything right. Knowing I needed help I gave him a call. He told me to meet him at another friends indoor range and he would see what the heck was going on.

After several nights of work and watching lots of short videos he took with his camera it finally sank in.

Once it came together he finally told me about the same thing. In short,,,, he put it this way. Dude you can shoot and you know it,,, but dang, you are also one of the hard headest fellows I ever been around....

I never was known for making things easy. Just ask my dad.

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 12:09:00 PM »
Here's the greatest thing about Rod's class.  NOT that he teaches you good form.  He teaches you how to recognize bad form and most importantly how to correct it.  

That means more to us "knotheads" than newbies.  If he would have told me what I was doing wrong, I would have said, "your out of your mind!!!".

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 03:12:00 PM »
Yep...he never said "you need to do this MY way" or" you are doing this wrong".  Rod would show you what you were doing and why it was causing you a problem AND how you could fix it if you wanted to improve.  Watching and reading are great, but having someone standing next to you when you THINK you are doing the right thing and hime being able to say, "No, if you just twist this or move that one more degree or a smidge farther" and then it just falls into place...that is priceless and you can't get that from a book or dvd.

I am going to go again!

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »
Yep. Rods teaching has a way of staying with you and when you blow a shot. You know EXACTLY why, and how to fix it! Best thing a person can do for their shooting, period.
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2011, 10:27:00 PM »
Your very welcome Mick!

Thanks guy's....the clinics are fun and inspirational to me and I do believe, at some point in time, if I live long enough...I'll look back at the clinics and think they were the most important thing I accomplished in archery.
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline Junglecat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2011, 11:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by SHOOTO8S:
Your very welcome Mick!

Thanks guy's....the clinics are fun and inspirational to me and I do believe, at some point in time, if I live long enough...I'll look back at the clinics and think they were the most important thing I accomplished in archery.
I would have to say attending Rods clinic was the best money I have ever spent on archery.I had Rod come to Ky this past April for a class.Since then I have been in touch with about half of the class attendees and to a man they all felt the class was worthwhile and money well spent.Rod gave us the tools and a good understanding of what we need to do to improve our shooting.How much we improve is left up to each individual depending on the available time they are able to devote to practice.It takes time,patience,and dedication to improve.

Rod,I actually ran into Randy G. in Cloverdale yesterday and talked to him for quite awhile.We both greatly enjoyed the class so much and attended with a great bunch of people.You do remember Randy G. dont you? Lol.
Bear Grizzly 58"        38 lbs@29"
Black Widow PCH III 60" 44 lb@29"
Black Widow PLX 62"     45 lb@28"
Kentuckian Flatbow  60" 55 lb@28"

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2011, 12:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Junglecat:

Rod,I actually ran into Randy G. in Cloverdale yesterday and talked to him for quite awhile.We both greatly enjoyed the class so much and attended with a great bunch of people.You do remember Randy G. dont you? Lol. [/QB]
Yeah, its hard to forget Randy !  :biglaugh:
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2011, 05:45:00 PM »
Rod should have some 1/2 time 1/2 price clinics for guys that need a refresher.  :bigsmyl:
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©