3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How long do you like your arrows?  (Read 264 times)

Offline bsoper

• Trad Bowhunter
How long do you like your arrows?
« on: June 10, 2011, 12:22:00 AM »
Compound shooters seem to like them as short as possible. Even dangerously short sometimes, in my opinion.

Medieval archers shot arrows up to 36" long, the common draw length was 30" putting 6" of arrow sticking out the end.

Given that your arrow is properly tuned, how long do you like your arrows compared to your draw length? Is there a reason you like it like that? What are your reasons?
~Brock

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How long do you like your arrows?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 01:01:00 AM »
I cut them till they are tuned-the length means nothing as long as they are perfectly  tuned, and of course not too short.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 01:30:00 AM »
Because of the way I aim, the arrow & point length affect my sight picture. I strive for an arrow that will tune at 27.5 or 28" total. This is 1.5-2" beyond the back of the bow.

Offline kindor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 01:43:00 AM »
I do what Bjorn does, trim a little off at a time till they're shooting good and have never paid any attention to length
McBroom string follow
7 Lakes Carolina night
Lofton Hill style Longbow

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 04:32:00 AM »
Mine are 29.5" with a 26.5-27" draw. That is the length they tuned the best for me.

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 04:37:00 AM »
I try to keep them at 31 -30,75", thats 0,75-1" longer than my draw
First i need that for broadhead clearance, second i like to have them all at the same length so that my sight picture stays consistent.
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 04:45:00 AM »
Full length GT Trads in both 1535 and 3555 and tune with front end weight with nock is 30.25". I have about an inch in front of the bow with that setup at my draw length and anchoring middle finger to corner of mouth. They're almost too short but they do fine.

Woodies are different. I usually have to trim those to try to get good tune, so, that can vary a little but usually no shorter than 30" BOP. That's cutting it close if broadheads are used.

You fellows with shorter draws are lucky in my eyes. It allows for more variances. Plus, when looking at the TG classifieds I see many arrows I look at only to see they are already cut too short for me to even think about buying.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 04:46:00 AM »
Right now it's a 30.5" arrow for my 27" draw, they tuned out just right at that length & the weight that is up front.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 05:15:00 AM »
With my 30" draw length, it doesn't matter what spine of aluminum arrow I'm shooting. They are all 32" BOP. Never shorter, never longer.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 06:17:00 AM »
1/4" longer than my draw length - the woodsman touching my bowhand knuckle is my draw check.  ;)
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 06:21:00 AM »
29.25" arrows and my draw is 26.75", because that is the length that my arrows are tuned the best with my setup. Plus, I like 2" of aluminum footing on the end too. My specs are in my signature below:
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 06:24:00 AM »
Forever unless they break....lol

:archer:  

PS: Sorry, I just couldn't help myself...lol
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 07:19:00 AM »
I tune my arrows and let that determine their final length.With wood and aluminum you can pick a spine to finish about an 1" longer then you draw.But with carbons,they don't come in as many different spines so length is not important to me as long as they shoot the way I want.

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 07:38:00 AM »
30" arrows for my 29" draw.  I don't shoot carbons so tuning isn't an issue (more choices with wood and aluminum).  Without getting into the definition of "instinctive" shooting, I believe sight picture (including arrow) matter, either consciously or sub-consciously, no matter how you claim to aim.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 07:55:00 AM »
I have a 28" draw and like to get alum arrows tuned that will be at 28.5"-29".

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 08:08:00 AM »
Mine are tuned well at about 31 inches. I left them that long when I made them a year ago as I was just starting to get back into archery, and I figured that my draw length would probably increase as my form and strength improved (which it has). Plus it gives me a little extra weight and lots of clearance for a broadhead.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 08:09:00 AM »
Cutting an arrow too short from my experience has been one of the things that limited the set up from being as forgiving as possible.  For many years I would cut arrows too short and not shoot as well.  It is not that a shorter arrow is going to shoot terrible, but if you are looking for the "best" or optimum forgiving set up, then shorter arrow, IMO is just not as forgiving.  

I take an arrow and do a check to see where it has the least amount of vibration.  Where that point is behind the arrow point is where I want the last point of contact with the shelf or end of the arrow rest.  This is usually from 2.5 to 3 inches behind the back of the point.

To check you take an arrow and rest it on the edge of a table.  Take your left hand and hold the nock.  Take your right hand and pull down to make the arrow bounce. Where the least vibration is, is the point you want touching your rest.  Really need a youtube video of this!
Longbows & Short Shots

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 08:58:00 AM »
This is about right for me...

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »
I shoot CE 4560 with a 29" draw.  I leave them full length and load up the front until they fly good.  I also use the tip in my sight picture, so full length fills the bill for me.
Ken Thornhill

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2011, 12:43:00 PM »
Best arrow length could be a short or long discussion. Factors such as anchor, type of sighting method, trajectory and other factors could all add their own twist.
Just my take:
1st you don’t want arrow too short to compromise safety
2nd the arrow must fly tru
Then, your individual preference takes precedence  for your personal  site window at yardage’s  you practice and plan to shoot in the field.
       Example: Tested one inch shorter arrows for kicks two days ago – I was then grouping four inches high at 25 yards. While it was nice and easy to compensate at the longer yardages, the site window was much larger than I prefer for close shots. Other's needs may dictate the desire for a longer arrow.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©