3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fastflight pros vs cons  (Read 409 times)

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
Fastflight pros vs cons
« on: June 10, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »
I shoot a SKY Trophy longbow.  The bow was designed with tips to handle fastflight but I have always shot it with b50.  I fella frOm SKY told me the fastflight would make it a completely different bow- should I make the switch to fastflight?  How much faster will it make the bow?  It's 58#.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fastflight pros vs cons
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 01:41:00 PM »
One of the commercial sponsors of this board is SBD Bowstrings, Pierre Lucas.  They make great fastflight string out of the latest material available, "skinny" strings with low mass weight.  The strings aren't very expensive, and it would be worth while for you to try one and decide for yourself if there is any performance advantage.

Personally, I wouldn't consider shooting a bow that was built to handle fastflight with any other kind of string.  The tips that are used on bows rated for fastflight are somewhat heavier than non-fastflight tips, and add some mass to the end of the limbs, so if you don't use fastflight, you are paying a price for it.  Might as well get the benefits too.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 01:47:00 PM »
You will gain 8 to12 fpr.  Ff. Is harder on the bow then B-50 in that you will feel some hand shock. You will need to tune the bow again and the spine in the arrows you are usiing right now wil be to weak for the FF string. And the bow will be louder.
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 01:56:00 PM »
I'm a fastflight string fan. It gives "oomph" to my low poundage recurves.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 02:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by atatarpm:
You will gain 8 to12 fpr.  Ff. Is harder on the bow then B-50 in that you will feel some hand shock. You will need to tune the bow again and the spine in the arrows you are usiing right now wil be to weak for the FF string. And the bow will be louder.
Well.....technically none of that is usually true (apart for the speed gain & spine issue)
99 times out of 100 you'll feel a lot less shock, as the FF string doesn't allow the limbs to travel too far forward of their brace height. Because of B50's stretch, your limbs are presently travelling beyond brace.
HMPE (FF) strings of reasonable design (ie NOT overbuilt) are actually less hard on the bow, if the bow is designed for it.
Also, 99 times out of 100, you'll notice a lot less noise.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 02:12:00 PM »
I agree with him, it will be a completely different bow and you will kick yourself for not going with a FF string sooner. I would suggest you get padded loops also. I suggest a 10 strand with padded loops for you.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »
I've messed around a bit building strings with FF materials and B50. I've tried various strand counts too. Personally, I think 12-14 is the perfect performance verses noise ratio. Anything lower than 12 gets really noisey REALLY fast (I've gone down to 8 strands). Plus you end up needed to double serve it to get the arrow knock to seat properly... 14 gets a better arrow fit, but 12 is quick and quiet enough. My strings I go 15 strand, 3 bundle. Its just what I like. To me the speed for lower is not worth the noise and harsh performance. If I need to go that fast... maybe I should shoot a wheelie ; )
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 02:44:00 PM »
I have found the skinnier the ff string the quieter and lower hand shock from the bow.  I shoot 55 lb RD longbows and love an 8 strand string padded with B50 to 14 strand in the loops.  Properly padding the loops does a lot for noise reduction.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 03:28:00 PM »
For me the only bows I shoot dacron on are a couple of older vintage recurves that rarely get shot.Just not a fan of dacron!I shoot a FF type string for the feel and not for any speed increase it may give me.The bow feels more solid and not springy like with a dacron string.

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 05:06:00 PM »
what Robtatto said. fastflite strings are ++++++.

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »
Fastflight has made both recurves and longbows faster and quieter for me. I shoot 6 strand SBD's below53 lbs and 8 strand above 55.

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 06:03:00 PM »
Fast Flight SBD strings are the only way to go, I love their performanceand how quiet they are.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
A lot depends on how the string is made.  Generally speaking, you gain durability, while reducing stretch and creep.  Noise depends on tuning, silencer type, silencer placement, nock fit, release, etc.

I've never seen evidence of a FF type string damaging a bow, "overbuilt" or not.  What is overbuilt depends on your personal definition.

FF type strings generally reduce hand shock, not increase it.

IMO, you loose some of the benefits by going too low in strand count--you loose durability, you add stretch and creep--those are the attributes I like and the reason I use them to begin with.

Like most everything else in this sport, there are lots of opinions and personal preferances vary.

Chad

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
Once I built a ten strand flemish: I did not like the feel of it. I shoot it once and my bow limbs were vibrating like a bango string and I never made one like that again. I do shoot 15 strand FF's and I like them.  Nor did I mean at anytime to say not to try them. You asked for pro's and con's. Everyone has different thoughts, and here in this thread you should get a lot of them.
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Offline OS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
In my experience I own a couple of bows that are built for fast flight and I now shoot Dacron on both more speed yes but I got alot more noise from the fast flight even with heavy arrows.
(bow in 55# range and shooting 700 gr. arrows) For me anyway I Like the slightly slower but much quieter Dacron strings.
It's not the size of the game you take that means Success!
It's the experience of pursuing game that give true Outdoor Success!!!!!

Online champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 09:37:00 PM »
FF for me, gained 11 ft/sec and a quieter bow.
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »
Im my experience there are no cons with FF. I wouldn't even consider dacron anymore
BD

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 11:14:00 PM »
i like FF strings.  SBD and Olivery Stacy make a awsome set of FF strings.
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2011, 06:55:00 AM »
B50 here IMO FF is too noisy
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline MikeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2011, 07:18:00 AM »
Though they shoot with more oomph than B-50 I have always found it much more difficult to quiet down FF strings.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©