3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thunderstick bug bit me (requesting some pics)  (Read 1070 times)

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thunderstick bug bit me (requesting some pics)
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2011, 12:53:00 PM »
Right at 7 to the shelf.But i have shot 6 1/2 to 8 and they shoot the same for me.And i havent chronoed any of mine either dont really care.They are great shooting bows wish i could buy them all.My arrows are right at 610gr.Had Jim on speed dial this morning.  :laughing:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2011, 03:04:00 PM »
AutumnArcher,
Do you mind posting some pics of your takedown?  I think that where I'm leaning right now, but would like to see one.

Offline PatriarchArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2011, 06:13:00 PM »
Here is the best bow I ever owned. Its the only one I shoot and my boys drool over it whenever they come over. Right next to it is the best hat I ever owned. Its a Tilly. What more could you ask for except my great wife.

60" MOAB 55# @ 27"
CE Predator II

So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.             1 Corinthians 10:31

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »
Most TS bows I have had were not cut far from center.  Anything over 50# at my draw length couldn't shoot a 3555 particularly the  MOABs. I can't cut them down much less than 30" or go way light on the point without going under 8 gpp so that is a factor.  I tried some 500 spine shafts afew weeks ago, and my MOAB was bouncing them off the riser they were so weak.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2011, 07:54:00 PM »
I shoot 3555 full length 60lbs at 28 1/2 290gr tp fly like a rocket out of my MOAB.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Beanbag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2011, 07:56:00 PM »
I e-mailed Jim at Thunderstick when I got my MOAB in,he said he cuts them to 1/16th before ctr.I try to keep as close to the window as possible. Got trad lites going out pretty good.JG

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2011, 11:03:00 PM »

RM, here ya go. MOAB 60" 56@27. Bubinga riser, actionboo limbs. The hinge is rock solid and you'd never know it was a takedown when ya shoot it. Ive shot other takedowns that has a vibration or just didnt feel right, not so with this bow. I've named this one "Dark Timber". This one is my elk huntin rig.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2011, 11:16:00 PM »
Heres a couple pics of my others-

This one here is also a 60", one piece 57@28. this was my first. Ive since added a rattlesnake skinto the limbs. I call this one "Meat". Cuz thats its job.

This one I call "The Mistress". Its a special edition MOAB I bought in a fundraiser auction for Benefit4Kids. Jim makes these for fundraisers and has helped a lot of good organizations in the process. This one is 62" 51@27. And oh baby is it a smooth shooter.

...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2011, 12:23:00 AM »
Sorry, not the best pics but here are a few I've had and there is two there that I still own...

Maybe get some more pics tomorrow with the Moose overlay bow.  Going to chase some Squirrels tomorrow...
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Beanbag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2011, 07:39:00 AM »
Autumn, Looks like I'm going to be putting on some skins,your moab is pretty nice. I have never seen or shot a bow with a hinge, do you feel the hinge while shooting? Is there any lateral movement? I picked up a bevel lock to put in mine but not sure if I want to cut a perfectly good bow! Not sure if the grip is on the small side for it also. Might give Jim a call to see if it could be retrofit.Thks Jim G

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2011, 08:17:00 AM »
I had a hinge TD MOAB and the hinge was put in under the overlay and grip. I didn't notice it at all.  I guess if you squeezed the grip hard you could fell the hinge joint in one small area. Wish I still had that bow, but it was a little too heavy for me.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2011, 09:07:00 AM »
The hinge is rock solid, there is no movement at all. The only difference is like xtrema312 said, you can feel a little notch where it is cut in. Actually, I like that, the notch lies under the tip of my ring finger on the grip, and I use it as a hand locator so I always have the hand in the exact same position.

I did the snakeskin myself, it was very easy to do as long as you plan each step in advance, and take your time. It came out far better than I would have imagined, and really dressed the bow up nicely. The worst part of the process was taking a piece of sandpaper to my bow, that caused a bit of anxiety, but the end result was worth it.

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2011, 09:10:00 AM »
You guys got me drooling on the keyboard now.  What woods are in that takedown AA?  I remember seeing pics of the one with the arrow inlay.  That one is a beauty for sure.

Bowhunter4life, I really like the one with the antler overlays.  Do you remember what wood combos all of those are?  I really like the one in the first pic that's the third one down.  I like them all, but that one sticks out to me.

I'm gonna have to call Jim and get on the list.

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
AA, I just skinned one of my Mags and am in the process of coating with tru oil.  What finish did you use over the skins on yours?

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »
I used tru oil as well. the takedown is bubinga, with the stripe being ebony I believe. It also has antler overlays on the tips.

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2011, 12:20:00 PM »
I have been wanting a MOAB for a while now.  Great looking bows and from what I have read, they perform too.

Nalajr

Offline rholzie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2011, 01:40:00 PM »
I bought a 58" T Mag 49# @ 28" for my son a couple of months ago. He loves it! So do I!  Needless to say...now I gotta get one for myself! IMHO..it is by far the smoothest and  quickest long bow I have ever shot! Whisper quiet also! I have shot all kinds of arrows through it and have found that the Easton Legacy 1916's are by far the best arrow for this bow! My buddy Rick Butler says that, "these arrows were made for this bow"! Just a joy to shoot! In fact...I think I'm going to go shoot it right now!  :archer2:
~Whisperstik MojoStik~
~Predator Hunter~
~'70 Kodiak Mag~
~Centaur~
~Kanati~

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©