3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stickflingers, last week...rookies, big bears, and bloody arras.  (Read 5596 times)

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stickflingers, last week...rookies, big bears, and bloody arras.
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2011, 12:22:00 PM »
Our view from the cabin of the lake promising Northern Pike and Walleye for anyone finishing their bear hunt early or willing to invest a morning instead of sleeping in.

Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
Back at camp it was crazy...it seemed that 3 hunters had shot, and there were three bears most dead. One of the hunters had watched his go down in sight, and the other hunter (using a wheelie bow due to a new wrist injury and pending shoulder surgery) like me felt good about the shot. Some handshakes were made, some drinks shared, and then it was time for bed...except I never slept. Not a wink...I could hear my roomate performing his nightly ritual of chainsaw and lumberjack impersonation but that wasn't it. I NEVER sleep when an animal is left out. Call me a worry wart. Even David, the wise yound lad told me relax...with a painted arrow, a good shot and a death moan I should have  :)  

The next day, Doug, a fella from Alambama who makes some great one-piece bows got his animal back to camp, as did Paul the "other" weapon guy. Here's Doug's great looking sow:

While David was helping the other hunters with their bears, Ryan, Brian, and myself started at the arrow and worked a sparse but steady blood trail for about 30 yards. Along the way, in this maze-like terrain choked with large birches and head-high maples, there was plenty of bear sign.

This place was loaded with bears!!! After a short while on the trail it went cold. I am a nervous nelly on a cold trail, and many bad thoughts raced through my mind. Just before I totally lost it, calmly Ryan said "I think I see him."
Mike Davenport

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
The motley crew already sitting around and telling tall tales about hunts of days gone by.
(l to r) James, Doug, Paul, Mike (Wapiti792)

Brian - aka "Big Sexy"

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2011, 12:37:00 PM »
I can't tell you what those words meant to me. Nor can I tell you what awe there was to be near this beautiful creature. Being the guide he is, Ryan let me have my moment with the bear, as did my new friend Brian. Although "our" moment happened last night, I still became the first human to touch this bear. I stroked his mane and thanked him. This alone brings me to my emotions as I type this   :campfire:

This is the sight we walked up on:

All Ryan said was "What a bear"...coming from a guy who has killed some giants, I remember thinking what a compliment. I finally composed myself enough to have Brian snap some pics as we waited for Ryan to try and get a quad near us for loading.

I always take a picture of the animal and my bow, to burn that memory into my soul so that when I am an old man, and can't hunt, I will scan through those photos of the real purpose of what we do...the bear and the bow.

Mike Davenport

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2011, 12:45:00 PM »
We managed to move the bear and clean him up for some better pics. I will just say that Brian and I are some big boys...Ryan well he's wiry  :)  It took everything we had to get this bear moved anywhere. Mission accomplished. The pics will speak for themselves...

*Myself and the big chocolate

*Bear guide and client

*"Big Sexy" Brian Lance and his travel pal
Mike Davenport

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2011, 12:46:00 PM »
that is awesome. thanks for your story and pics. don

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2011, 12:47:00 PM »
Awesome bear Mike!

Congratulations!

Offline brock donald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2011, 12:47:00 PM »
that is just awsome mike. That is a perdy bear for sure. I cant wait for bear meat now!   :thumbsup:

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2011, 12:55:00 PM »
After loading the bear and returning to camp to celebrate with the other two hunters, we skinned and measured the hide. It squares 7'2" and the skull measured 20 1/4 for those that are interested. I am new to bears, but I didn't need those measurments to know he was a mature animal. I am happy beyond words, and the meat and hide are in my freezer. He will be forever a full-body mount for me to see everyday and his meat will be turned to lean protein for my family   :)  

That night I slept well, chainsaw Brian in the room or not...but not before hearing the stories of bear hunts past from Ron and the days recoveries of the two other bears. Some "elixers" were consumed and many thanks given to Ryan, David, Bee, and Ron. I will never be able to re-play this rich experience, but I am going to try next year   ;)    
*One last pic

Oh wait...there's more to come. We are only 50% done here. Somebody has some 'splaining to do...
Mike Davenport

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2011, 01:23:00 PM »
Told ya...them are some awsome pics !!! Congrats again Mike.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2011, 01:26:00 PM »
Wapiti,that is one amazingly beautiful bear.About as pretty as one can get.Congratulations.

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2011, 01:27:00 PM »
Great story great pics great bear Thanks and attaboy for you!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2011, 01:30:00 PM »
Great story and pics, thanks for taking the time to share it with us. bb
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2011, 01:31:00 PM »
Way to go Mike!! What a great bear! Man I really need to get up there. Congrats on a fine animal!  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »
So, after his bear killing was done, Mike enjoyed some fishing

** so does Mike’s gait look familiar to anyone else ??  **

Brian - aka "Big Sexy"

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2011, 01:36:00 PM »
My first night in the woods was nothing short of amazing.   Ryan asked each hunter what they were looking for out of there hunt.  He and David then tried their best to match up each hunter with a location that would likely produce the type of shot at the type of bear the hunter was hoping for.

As Mike explained earlier, Ryan firmly believes in hunting the wind for bear.  While he admits it is not always necessary, it could mean the difference b/w success and failure when that big ol’ boar comes calling.

My first night was at the stand they call “The Ladder” and latter dubbed Tall Tines after Brian Wessel took his fine bear there two weeks earlier.  This bait was being hit regularly and hard.  Ryan explained there was still lots of bear here and at least one more big one.

I told Ryan my only hope was for a nice bear, a “confidence bear”, my first bear.  Ryan knew this stand would offer what I was looking for, a shot 10 yards or less and a low stand location for a flatter trajectory shot.  With the abundant pines surrounding the “Ladder” we were able to hang a Lone Wolf stand at 5 feet high and down wind of the bait.  

He told me bears typically come into the stand from the east or west paralleling the creek that ran by south of the stand.  A nice ridge north of the stand put the entire bait area on a shelf.  The wind was blowing from the north west over the bait barrel and into my nose.  Five bears visited that barrel that night.  Four approaching from the east, walking past my stand from over my right shoulder down a trail 5 yards away.  Out of my right eye my peripheral vision caught the black silhouettes and followed their sluggish approach to the barrel.  As they passed my stand their heads frequently swung my way to check out that blob in the tree that was not there before.

Being bears, I guess their hunger outweighed their skeptical memory about blobs in trees, because as long as I remained still, they kept marching on toward the barrel.  None were bad bears, none were great bears.  I knew I needed a day or two more to look around before I ended my hunt, so none of these bears were subject to my arrow flying through (or past) them.  Besides, I left my camera in the cabin that first night and who would want to shoot a bear and not have a camera with him.  That would be like taking a video camera and forgetting to press "record".  Very dissapointing.

Around 6:30pm up on the ridge I heard a good bit of rustling trees and snapping branches.  As I slowly turned my head to find any movement which might indicate a source for the sound, I saw a horse.  A real fat horse, with incredibly long and lanky legs.  Then the horse moved along the ridge to eating leaves and walking with a 6 foot stride.  When I saw a waddle hanging below the unusually long head of the horse a light bulb finally went off.  I was watching the first  wild moose I have ever seen.  Actually, I think it was the first live moose I had ever seen.  Funny how long it takes my brain to click over from what it thinks it sees to realize what it is really looking at.

The highlight of my hunt that evening was when one of the bears, with an unusually dark snout decided he had eaten enough oats and corn and he needed to find out once and for all what was hanging onto that tree over there.  As he skulked over to my stand in no hurry, I thought about the bear repellant in my right cargo pocket and my Ka-Bar hanging on my hip.  This was my first trip into the woods with the repellant but that Ka-Bar has been on my side since ‘87.

The bear weaved his way tree to tree smelling the sow in heat gel I dipped branch twigs in surrounding the bait barrel.  I was giving that some second thoughts at this point.  When he passed the last of the scent I could tell his full attention was fixed on the blob in the tree (me).  Closer he came.  Snout out front testing the air.  When he was directly under my stand he placed his left paw on the tree and propped his nose up under my stand to sniff my boot.  

Well I figured these were his woods and I was the visitor.  He had a right to give me a sniff or two so I let ot pass without offense.  When he appeared satisfied with his sniff, he must have thought that rubber boot smells good enough to eat so he swung his right paw up onto the platform of my stand.  Not wanting to see how much further this “scratch-and-sniff” was going to go I decided to tap the stand with my boot like someone had earlier suggested, but I guess my hackles were up a bit too and the tap turned into a stomp… on top of his paw.  When he withdrew his paw, as would any one who got a finger stepped on by a mysterious rubber smelling blob, I realized I had just tapped a bear, a wild bear, a big-enough-to-kick-my-a$$ bear.

As darkness fell on the evening three bears, I think one or two I had seen earlier, and one real small nasty little she-witch all converged on the barrel.  When three bear meet at one food source, I witnessed, $hit happens.  The two bigger bears woofed the smaller bear up a tree on the other side of the barrel (ding ding) and after a tiny spat b/w the bigger two one stayed at the barrel and one circle the area.  The little she-witch stayed up in the tree woofing and popping jaws, trying to sneak back down.  One woof from the bigger bear and up she went again.

I didn’t remember a lot of what Ryan said to me before the hunt, but I remembered him saying I should stay in the stand after dark and let him come down with a light to scare off any critters and get me out.  Well after toe stomping one bear, having one circle the baits, one hanging in a tree waiting to pounce on something just out of spite, and one protecting it’s food… I was happy to let Ryan feel needed and come get me.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2011, 01:38:00 PM »
What a beautiful beast!  I think every bear hunter has dreams of someday taking two bears.  A huge old boar, and a color phase bear.  You did both on one animal, and your first at that!  Amazing!  
Congratulations Mike, that was well done, and well told.  
Now Brian, you're up!  We need more from you.  :readit:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2011, 01:49:00 PM »
Mike, great story and bear. nice shooting. by the way, I like your quiver. congrats again. Don Batten
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2011, 01:56:00 PM »
Thanks fellas!!! I am spoiled rotten with this bear  :)

Brian, that Bigfoot pic is funny. We were in his territory you know...and about that video camera, well lets face it. I suck.

Can't wait for the rest...
Mike Davenport

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2011, 01:59:00 PM »
All I can say is:

:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    

And I am looking forward to TallTines week next year and the year after, and so on, and so on!

I am glad you guys found it to your liking    :D

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©