3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stickflingers, last week...rookies, big bears, and bloody arras.  (Read 5600 times)

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stickflingers, last week...rookies, big bears, and bloody arras.
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2011, 02:06:00 PM »
Day two started off early with joining Ryan and Mike for a bear recovery adventure.  Once we got that bear  out of the woods and loaded into the truck ( a real group effort - work smarter not harder guys!) it was time to return to camp, join in some back slapping and celebrating for 3 of our 6 and then focusing on the upcoming hunt for the other half of the camp.

Ryan and Mike knew there was still big bear activity on the stand Mike just hunted but tree planters had moved into the area and we wanted to let the spot settle down before going back in there.

Ryan offered up “Elk Rub” to me.  A stand in pretty deep where some HUGE bears were known to be lurking as well as some more reasonable sized bruins including some nice colored bears.  Now I am still a novice bear hunter and was not looking for a monster to test my mettle, but the set up looked grand and Ryan said there were several bears in the area to choose from.

We set up a Lone Wolf below the existing stand which was 15 feet up the tree.  I had a nice surround of pine bough on either side of me and a nice open shot to the bait.  Again I was standing 4 ½ feet off the ground so my eye level was at about 10 feet.  The stand was about 10-11 yards off the barrel.  The set-up felt solid.  There was a solid pod of low pines to the front right, a cleared out channel of 2-3 foot brush directly behind the barrel and loose pines, aspen and poplar to the left.

At about 6:30 I had my first visitor.  At first all I saw were dark paws and legs moving through the brush.  Again my mind was not immediately able to interpret what my eyes saw.  Then it registered that the “bear” was golden yellow, like a mailing envelope, on it’s back and sides, with legs, neck and head that were dark reddish brown.  Not only was it a color phase bear, but it was a two-tone color phase.  And it was no small bear.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2011, 02:15:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  Nice story so far.....looks like a great time!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »
Congrats Mike on an awesome bear! Great story and pics!!   Next!!!  :thumbsup:
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2011, 02:21:00 PM »
Mike, awesome bear and great story! Congrats.   :thumbsup:    :clapper:

Brian, looking good so far and great pics!
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Old Chief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
A great story and an Outstanding bear

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
Guys, this is awesome.  Keep the story going.

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »
Based on the few bears I had seen on my first bear hunt last fall, and the bears the other guys had brought in that morning, I figured this bear was at least a 6 ½ footer with an 18-19 inch skull, longer than wide but in no way narrow if that makes any sense.  Ryan described the genetic of the bear up there as having more length than normal.  Our fellow camp mate who just hunted Saskatchewan for a week agreed with Ryan, describing those bears as wider rather than longer. It’s coat was long and thick.  I was reminded of pictures I had seen of Musk ox.  That golden cloak hung on it like a giant fur on a fashion model.  My heart was pumping.  I will henceforth refer to the bear as “Her”.

She came toward the bait exiting from the pines to the right, heading down the center channel.  About 4 yards on the other side of the barrel she stopped and starred at whatever was lurking in the tree up ahead.  My camouflage served no purpose,  she saw right through to the blushing man inside.  Her beauty and majesty  left me only wanting to look at her longer.

I am not sure of the kinetics involved but some how bears just pick up their entire front half and turn it in a new direction and head off.  That is exactly what she did, bearing 90 degrees to her left and heading back into the woods from which she came.

That same scene repeated itself two more times that evening by that same two-tone beauty.  Never coming fully into my range, never offering up a broadside, and always  leaving me wanting more.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2011, 02:51:00 PM »
Keep it going Brian! You are bringing back some great memories of two tone bears. "Elk Rub" is where Tyler shot his beautiful chocolate and cinnamon bear.

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2011, 02:52:00 PM »
WOW!! Can't wait for the rest. Great bear Mike! I decided to go to the Super Bowl this year instead of hunting with Ryan, you guys are making me regret that choice   :knothead:      :banghead:

Offline 6feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2011, 02:54:00 PM »
Mike congratulations that is a great bear.  To Brian you're killing with anticipation.

Offline Tique

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2011, 03:20:00 PM »
Congratulations Mike, that is one heck of a bear. Good story too!

Brian, for not being a "story" teller you are doing a great job. Don't stop now.
Untested ideas are not facts.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
Congrats on that giant of a bear.And lets keep this story rolling im hooked.  :clapper:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
As the sun began its journey to the other side of darkness, a new bear arrived on scene.  Black as midnight, and big.  Very BIG!  This bear approached from the left side of the channel and headed down that opening right to the barrel like it owned the entire world.  He re-defined the term BRUIN.

Again, stopping just short of the barrel, he too saw something he did not like, something that just did not belong in his woods.  A quick about-face and back into the cover  he went.  But unlike his counterpart he was not going to give up on getting his evening snack.  He approached closer using the trees along the corridor as a shield between him and the intruder.  Just to the left of the barrel was a small pine which he used for cover, like a jaguar hiding from it’s prey.  He was hiding a measly 3 feet from the barrel, sticking his nose out under the tree, sampling the wind and licking the air for telltale signs of whatever was squatting over his repast.

Finding little scent other than the Sow-in Heat gel and Bruin Buster’s tainted beaver meat aroma, he was urged forward.  With a defiant stride he entered the dining area, the killing zone, the place I was willing him to move into.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »
Unabashed teaser photo

Brian - aka "Big Sexy"

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2011, 04:08:00 PM »
This is one heck of a hunt.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2011, 04:11:00 PM »
The goliath stood there, behind the barrel taking in his surroundings.  He dwarfed that 55 gallon barrel like it was a puppy’s chew toy next to a English Mastiff.  His coat was a magnificent midnight black, shimmering in the twilight, glistening.  His head was perched on his massive shoulders like a boulder atop mountain.  There was no neck, just muscle, bone, sinew, and size that only comes with maturity.

Unease set in again and he bounded back into the woods, flanking the open lane and staying well protected.  Then he stopped.  It was as if he suddenly remembered He was the biggest bear in the woods.  He was not going to cower.  He was going to eat “something”.

Back down the lane he came, in the open but near the protection the trees offered.  He stopped five yards behind the barrel and raised up.  On his hind legs he could now peer  into that dark pine up ahead.  He would look eye to eye at his contender.  His head was now at my chest level, his snout and horrible jaws at the level of my heart, which was beating out of my chest.  He took a long gaze, turning his head from side to side to get a different angle and better size up the Other.  The markings on the tree next to his ear were nine and ½ feet off the ground.

I told you this boy was BIG!

Sure that he held the advantage, he once again approached the barrel.  He pawed it.  He shook it with ease like a Globetrotter rolling a basketball.  Moving in front of the barrel he knelt down on all fours and nosed the opening.   I tensed the string.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2011, 04:22:00 PM »
This is a heck of a good story from a guy who claims he can't tell one!!
  :eek:  
I'm on the edge of my seat!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2011, 04:22:00 PM »
Great so far!!!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2011, 04:36:00 PM »
Holy cow, this sounds like a great hunt!!!

Congrats on an awesome bear Mike!!!!!

Brian, I cant wait to see yours as well. I hope my hunt in August is half as good as this one.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: June 11, 2011, 04:41:00 PM »
Congrats Mike and Brian,both stories are really good.I am glad you had a so grat hunt,keep it coming.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©