3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stickflingers, last week...rookies, big bears, and bloody arras.  (Read 5599 times)

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stickflingers, last week...rookies, big bears, and bloody arras.
« Reply #80 on: June 11, 2011, 04:43:00 PM »
Don't know what your talking about Brian, you tell a great story. Keep it coming!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: June 11, 2011, 04:49:00 PM »
what a great story. congrats!!!!!   :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2011, 04:53:00 PM »
The arrow released itself from the Kwik-Lok arrow holder.  The Arrow Dynamics Hammer Head which I crested and fletched begged to be thrust into flight.  It was tipped with a 200gr 1-¼ inch VPA Terminator.  The 685 grain missile had been trained to fly straight and true out of my 60” Black Widow PAX drawing 52# at 28 inches.   Now I had to do two things.  Wait for the prime shot and pick a spot.

Sensing impending doom the bruin came back up to his feet.  A glance back at it’s quivering foe still watching from the tree caused alarm.  With feet firmly under him, his stance located his front foot and back foot  spaced nearly far enough apart to completely conceal the two trees adjacent to the barrel  He turned right, facing away then turned left again walking behind the barrel.  His chest stood open, vulnerable, ready for piercing.  

My arrow was lined up just behind his shoulder.  As it always does, my PAX drew by itself, without thought or focused effort and found anchor.  The projectile was off.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2011, 04:54:00 PM »
Don't let the big fella fool ya...he's crazy like a fox. Says he can't write then puts out a gem. Says he only shoots so-so and you don't want him shooting at your nocks. Says he can't fish and well, 2 outa 3 ain't bad   :biglaugh:  

Speaking of shooting...this cat knows how to sling 'em. He picked up every bow and shot it like he owned it. He even picked up one of Doug's one piece bows called "Heartbreaker" and shot it well. It should have been called armbreaker....was like 80# or something.

Mike Davenport

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2011, 06:15:00 PM »
Did I mention that I needed to do two things.  Well the prime shot was right there in front of me.  That
monster was begging to be arrowed.  But as for picking a spot…

My bow and my arrow can deliver nothing miraculous without me doing my part.  And ladies and gentlemen, I failed to complete the arrow, bow, archer circle.  I shot at the bear.  The whole DARN bear!  And with a bear that big that leaves lot of room for error.  I only missed my target by an inch.  But missing a whole bear by one inch is vastly different from missing a single hair on the chest of beast by one inch.  

The arrow harmlessly buried itself into the dirt behind the bear.  He erupted into a frenzy of moving his bulk outta there but quick.  I cursed.  Then I was immediately glad for what I was pretty sure was a clean miss rather than a bad hit resulting from MY bad shot.  I laughed at myself.  I really did.  I screw stuff up a lot.  Enough that if I took myself too seriously I would never be able to accomplish anything. My mentor 6feathers keeps reminding me that I am on a learning curve that lasts my entire life. Those last few minutes were worth the entire price of admission.

Then… the bear decided he wasn’t hurt and  wanted some payback...     :eek:  

He charged back into the bait with hair standing straight up and grunting and huffing all the way.  Picture Refrigerator Perry barreling down on you with an attitude and fire in his eyes.

The hour was late.  Darkness was eminent.  And I had a pissed off bear that knew my face.    :readit:    

He hit the brakes at the barrel.  Starring me down with mayhem in  his mind and malice in his heart, I quickly realized the memory of this experience could be the last one I ever had.  It got serious for me.  Right serious, right quick.

Ryan had another hunter to pick up at last legal light before he would come to pick up me.  Then he had a twenty minute ride back to his truck, had to load the 4 wheeler, drive twenty minutes in the truck to the trail I was on, unload the 4 wheeler, then ride almost 30 minutes to my stand.  I knew I was going to be there a while.

I decided to tell that big bear to “get the  heck  outta here” in the most authoritative voice I could muster.  He backed down a little.  I gripped my bear spray in one hand and my high powered lightning beam in the other.  A flash of light and another command sent him back peddling.  My vocabulary was fairly limited at the moment, but I could tell he understood.  He went back up the clear-cut and entered the woods on the right.  He smashed some brush, shook some trees and made some terrible grunting sounds.  Then he encountered another bear and they did not like each other very much.  I am not sure how it happened, but I think he got it handed to him and he bolted out of that pine stand, shot across the clearing and re-entered “his side” of the bait stand.

After a few more minutes another bear was coming out of the pines and standing at the barrel.  I hit it with my lightning beam and there She stood.  Her golden fleece radiating in my flash light beam.  She had reclaimed the bait barrel.  She gazed at me for a moment.  I almost sensed her giving me a wink and eyeing me a “you’re welcome” and then skipped back into her woods.

The two continued working up and down their respective tree lines for the next 90minutes, closing in on each other, and me, then backing off when the lightning bolt flashed at them.

The tension was broken by the sound of a 4 wheeler approaching through the black night.  I think I hugged Ryan for a few long minutes before I could tell him my tale.  We located my arrow, right in the spot where I drove it into the Manitoba soil.  I showed him the tree the bear stood next to.  Even Ryan, the slayer of many huge bears, was impressed.  

Some might call him the bear that got away.  I will always think of him as the one that did not eat me, thanks to Her.    :notworthy:
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2011, 06:21:00 PM »
But wait !

There is still more.  ( yah... I know, I know, get on with it)

Remember this?

Brian - aka "Big Sexy"

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: June 11, 2011, 06:37:00 PM »
Tuesday evening the fourth hunter in camp, James, arrowed a wonderful blond bear but was unsure of his hit.  The next morning guide David, Mike, Doug and James headed off to find his prize.  After an extensive search and nearly giving up, thanks to the experience David has (well beyond his 27 years) in bear behavior and recovering wounded animals, the bear was recovered and brought back to camp for more celebration, hand shakes, and pictures.

And now there were two hunters left.

Tim, from Colorado, was a bear hunter to the bone and was slicing off dandelion heads from his perch atop the wood crib behind the cabin.  There was not a worry about him arrowing a bear when he found the one he wanted.

I, on the other hand, was still shaken up a bit from the previous night.  Doubt crept in.  My tackle was sound.  My practice shots delivered the accuracy I have been working hard at all year.  I joined Tim on top of the wood crib for some elevated shot practice.  Satisfied with the results, we headed off once more into the bear hunters nirvana that is Stickflingers' backyard.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2011, 07:07:00 PM »
Well, it seems the Illinois boys have struck the Canadian bear game a heavy blow....

Great going guys....  super bears.

Brian.. the widow did you proud (on the second shot)
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2011, 07:10:00 PM »
Hey Bruce !  Good to hear from ya.  We're gonna have to stick some 3D targets soon.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: June 11, 2011, 07:41:00 PM »
Mike that was a beautiful bear.  How about we have a raffle on tradgang to send someone to Ryan's place every year so we get to read and see the great pictures from his place.  Both stories have been great.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: June 11, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »
Tracker, between the Talltines guys and Brian and I, we have it covered  :)

Here is James' bear. He made a high shot on the blondie and it took a grid search the next day to find it...but we got 'er done. James is on the right and the guide David is on the left. Hope that James chimes in with his own story.

We kidded James and told him since we found the bear he had to carry it out. That's exactly what he did...what a beast!!!

OK Brian...let's hear it. I know the story and want to hear it again  :)
Mike Davenport

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: June 11, 2011, 07:49:00 PM »
Brian:

Yep..  I have been at Sparta all day yesterday and today with my trap team shooters.  I need to shoot some arrows....

Just finished some Woodford Res.  Was thinking of you....
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: June 11, 2011, 07:57:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  Great bears and fine stories .... congrats all
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: June 11, 2011, 08:01:00 PM »
My back hurts looking at that, great stories guys.  How much did that bear weigh?

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: June 11, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
We figure she weighed 175 or so. By-the-by, we never touched James' bear. He was the first to touch that blonde coat...he also gave me a greenlight for pics here as he doesn't post much. Hope that changes because he has a wealth of knowledge and experiences...way to go James    :thumbsup:
Mike Davenport

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: June 11, 2011, 08:09:00 PM »
C'mon guys, post the specs on your equipment too! Sounds like a lot of TallTines bows up there. Will Ryan take a guy shooting a Stalker or a Zipper or a Longwalker?  :bigsmyl:  Great looking bears. So nice to have a choice.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: June 11, 2011, 08:29:00 PM »
Ok boys and girls, where was I?  Oh yes.  I’ll finish her up on this post.

Ryan and I discussed possible locations.  Finding a stand with bear activity was not a problem…  they all had multiple bears hitting them and hitting them hard.  Finding one with the right set up for an east wind, with cover for my fidgety body to hide behind and still be close enough for a confident shot led us back to “The Ladder”.

Ryan and I dropped Tim off at a stand we had set a trail camera on the first day.  It showed good sign.  Tim walked into the stand on the road and stopped in his tracks.  A fresh bear print in the mud was large enough to raise his experienced eyebrow.  He pointed to it and gave Ryan the “all is good” signal that he was happy with the stand choice.  He went deeper into the woods to meet his quest head on.  Ryan and I drove off to set up mine.

Once back at “the Ladder” we rechecked the wind.  It was still coming from the east, opposite of it’s direction two nights previous.  A blowdown laying 5 feet in the air west of the barrel would make a nice frame to hide behind and brush up a bit.

Ryan hung the stand, once more to my desired height .  After I climbed up, we checked for and removed branches that could interfere with my bow limbs.  Ryan knocked down a small tree that was potentially in the line of fire and added heaps of brush against the blowdown to create a wall of wood that hid the hunter inside.

Feeling confident I was ready, he coached me just enough to boost my confidence.  He reminded me of my practice that day and how I was flinging arrows right on the SPOT I was picking.  He told me once I picked a bear and determined I was going to arrow it to pick a spot, to focus on it with all of my energy, to get mad at that spot and only think of piercing that spot with my newly re-sharpened broadhead that wanted revenge for the previous night.  He checked if I needed anything else.  I wanted a practice shot.  He grabbed a chuck of wood and set it out in the spot he figured was THE spot.  My shot was good but missed by an inch to the left.   “One more” I declared.  He grabbed the arrow and handed her back.  The second shot was closer still, almost knocking the wood chip over.  He gave me the “thumbs-up”, returned my arrow to me and said “ok, you’re ready, this is the night Brian Lance will kill a bear”.  I told him I was not going to wait around for another bruiser but going to take the first good target of opportunity that was not a cub.  I knew Ryan’s camp and concession had huge bears.  Great Bears!  I did not want to kill anything so small that he would be embarrassed but he looked me square in the eye and said “this is your bear hunt, you kill the bear you want to kill and think only about that spot”.  And he was off.

And there I sat, waiting for my destiny to play itself out one more time.

I focused on the killing zone.  I focused on the chuck of wood Ryan left 3 feet away from the barrel.  And I sat still.  I sat without moving.  I sat and watched and waited.

About 6:00pm a scent caught my nose.  Not a pleasant scent.  I thought it smelled like death.  Working in a hospital I know what that smelled like, unfortunately.  The wind swirled enough  that I could tell the smell was behind me, from where my wind was supposed to be going,  yet I was catching the back draft of a bear. My ThermaCell was confirming the wind shift.  Ever so slowly I began to turn my head, one millimeter at a time, to my right.  Before it moved even an inch, there was a huff behind me.  It was indeed a bear.

I heard it moving now, not sure of it’s distance, or direction, I had to wait longer.  It was moving from my right to my left, up the hill to the ridge top.  Then I caught a glimpse of black out of my left eye and it rounded the top of the blowdown and headed back down hill toward the bait barrel.  It was not a particularly spectacular bear.  I knew that immediately.  But is was close enough!  It might be, could be, would be my confidence bear.  It looked at my position as it walked with an even, slow gait toward the barrel.  Toward the spot at which I had just shot practice arrows two hours earlier.  It began it’s investigation of the barrel and the temptation it contained.  Then it stopped and turn directly toward me.  It  figured something was over there and it wanted to know what it was.  It bullied it’s way  toward the blowdown without exercising any undue caution.  It stuck its head into the brush pile to gain a sniff.  It paused, its snout inches from my stand platform.  Again, folding himself in half he did an about-face and trotted back to the barrel.  I stood.

It grabbed a few morsels from the hole in the barrell without a care in the world.  It decided to once again approach the blowdown and the scenario played itself out once more.  This time as it returned to the barrel I raised up the bow and found THE SPOT.  I saw nothing  else.  The PAX found anchor itself just like it has done thousands of times over the last few months in preparation for this moment.  The spot was glowing.  I saw neither my bow hand nor my arrow.  I saw a patch of fur that needed to be opened for blood to rush through.  The arrow was off.  The blaze orange cresting,  fletching, and fur tracer appeared in it’s right side then disappeared  only to be replaced with a crimson rush that could only be one thing.  Blood.

The bear leapt forward and dashed through the pines on his way to the creek bed below.  As he passed the crest of the shelf, noticing only open area below, he turned hard left to follow the shelf line to the east.  I saw a mass flash from his left side.  I was sure this had to be my fletchings hanging out the passthrough side.  Further east he dashed then hooked left once more up into much thicker cover.  Then he was gone.  The woods were silent.  I waited for the calling a bear makes as he passes into the other world, but it did not come.

I grabbed my compass and took a bearing on the last spot I had seen him.  85 degrees.  About 60-70 yards away. Up that rise.  In those thick saplings.  Remember.  Got it.  Still silence.

I had asked Ryan earlier in the week if I should track a bear if I hit it.  We agreed that I would only do that if it was still light and I heard a death moan.  Light it was, but it was silent too.   I would leave the woods, leave my bear and blood trail, and go back to Ryan’s truck which was waiting a couple miles up the trail while he and his crew tried to recover a broken 4 wheeler from earlier in the week.

Before I left, I had to at least review the area of impact for any sign.  A bloody arrow, bright with arterial blood remained stuck in the dirt where once a bear had stood.  A patch of blood sprayed 5 inches wide decorating the ladder  that the bear fled past.  It was good sign to my eyes.

The walk helped my burn off the adrenaline that had me shaking.

I stuck my arrow into Ryan’s ATV trailer.  There I sat.  I paced.  I waited for the sound of ATVs which came well before dark.  As Ryan pulled up, a cry escaped him.  “Brian Lance… did you kill a bear?”  I simply looked back at the arrow stuck in his trailer and said “I think so”.

More adventures followed in the trailing and tracking, more bears had arrived on the scene, blood trails we figured we would walk next to forced us to crawl.  The sign disappeared.  We four, Ryan, David, Ron (Ryan’s father) and I moved further along the path of the fleeing bear spread wide to find even one more speck of blood but would never see another.

As we worked our way to the spot I had last seen my bear, Ryan hollered “BEAR”.  I spun around asking “where, where?”  David said “we found your bear”.  Again I asked “where” and moved closer to the pair.  “Turn around” they said.  Well darn it, I had just come from there, but did as the commanded.  Not five yards from where I was looking for blood lay my bear.  Dead.  Bled out.  The VPA had struck high and left of my SPOT but still entered the boiler room, barely.  The exit hole on the left side was plugged by a 4 inch chunk of fat protruding like a giant white tick on a black coat.

I touched him.  My Bear.  My first Bear!  My confidence Bear!

Handshakes and pictures followed.

He measured 6 feet wide and 5-½ feet long.  A 5-¾ bear.  His face was scarred from scrapping with whatever got in his way and his coat was rubbed clean of it’s fur.  Probably the smallest bear taken at Stickflingers this year, and certainly the ugliest.  He was killed at 6:12pm on 6-08-11 in the Porcupine Mountains of Manitoba by Big Sexy aka Brian Lance (Bel007).

Ryan Derlago with Stickflingers, Manitoba Bowhunts delivered just what I had asked for.  He catered to what I wanted out of a bow hunt.  I will continue to be a client of his as long as he lets me come back.  See you next year Ryan, and we’ll go chase that BIG son-o-gun together.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: June 11, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
Great story telling.Congrats on your first bear  :clapper:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: June 11, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »
Congrats Brian! Great bear!  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #99 on: June 11, 2011, 08:46:00 PM »
Outstanding and congratulations!!   :thumbsup:    :clapper:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©