3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: can my hunter take it?  (Read 324 times)

Offline Aaron2k5

• Trad Bowhunter
can my hunter take it?
« on: June 11, 2011, 06:24:00 PM »
I have a Damon howatt hunter and no idea how old it is. The sticker was under some paint and was removed when I finished it. I got a few pictures of it but it don't tell me much. Will this bow handle a fast flight string? Or how can I tell? Or what string should I use? I have no idea what I even have right now. Is there a good source that I can look these things up?

Re: can my hunter take it?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
Can you post a picture? That would give us more info. Those have been made for many years and I would think that an older one would not be FF safe.You can't lose with a B-50 string, either endless loop or flemish. I had a Howatt Hunter in the early eighties which came from the factory with an endless B-50 string.

Offline Aaron2k5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 07:51:00 PM »
Can you explain the difference between the strings? I'll post pics once I can

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 07:54:00 PM »
I wouldn't chance ruining a good bow unless I was sure it was made for it. Your fps gain will not be that much. I have an older one that only shoots B-50 and is plenty fast. Gary

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 08:04:00 PM »
Of all the older bows out there the Howatt Hunters are one that do not need, really, any help to perform at near the very top among even the newer designs. I have owned two and shot a few more and these bows are already fast, can be made hunting quiet and as is, pretty darn nice weapons.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 07:20:00 AM »
The benefit to FF strings is that they are stronger filaments and are thinner which makes a lighter and faster string. However, they do not have as much stretch so the bow tips need to be stronger to handle the increase in stress. The big advantage of B-50 is that it is quieter, so lots of people who have bows which can handle FF strings use B-50 anyway for that reason.I think I remember that the gain in speed is about 5fps for a FF string, which is negligible at hunting distances.

Offline Rusty Snuffers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 09:12:00 AM »
I had asked the folks at Martin if my 1997 Hunter was FF capable and was told no.  According to the rep at Martin, anything pre-2000 should stick with non-FF strings.

Rusty
Black Widow PSA V 48# @27"
Samick Deermaster T/D 50# @28"
Dale Dye Good Medicine 50# @27"
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."  JRR Tolkien

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 09:28:00 AM »
Consider tip overlays. They look great & keep ff string in check. Oldsters (me) likely have seen tips ruined by constant string abrasion. B-50 is no worry.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©