3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Helle knife finished - thanks for help  (Read 3041 times)

Offline Bugle1N

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Helle knife finished - thanks for help
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2007, 07:05:00 PM »
Steve:

I sent you a private email.  Your knife turned out so well was wondering if you could help me get started makiing a knife handle. I ordered a Helle kit just recently also.

Offline Chad Sivertsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2007, 11:30:00 AM »
I'm working on a detailed set of instructions with pictures but not sure when they will be ready. The old saying "too many irons in the fire" applies to me.

A drill press helps but is not necessary. Don't force the bit in to the block or it will try to wander and could cause problems or overheat. Back the bit out a few times as you drill to allow the flutes on the bit to clear the chips.

In about a week we will be adding flat brass in 3 different thicknesses, brass tubing for those that want a lanyard, and brass rod. Also will have leather spacers soon.

Be aware that oily woods such as Cocobolo and Bocote may not absorb the finish and will take longer to dry.

Let us know what other items you would like to see on the website.
Happy Trails,
Chad

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2007, 11:33:00 AM »
Very nice indeed....  :thumbsup:    :notworthy:
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Joe Subler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2007, 06:19:00 PM »
SOS,  working on a knife handle for my helle also and have a couple of questions about the handle.  Did you glue the leather, wood, antler all together (did you use epoxy)?

Thanks,
Joe
62" Mohawk  53#@27"

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2007, 06:33:00 PM »
WOW......that's a beaut!!!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Bodork

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2007, 06:37:00 PM »
I ordered two blades yesterday. I think this could be the start of something fun! The instructions would be helpful for us first timers. Thanks, Mike

Offline Joe Subler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2007, 04:24:00 PM »
ttt
62" Mohawk  53#@27"

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2007, 09:02:00 PM »
SOS Steve has been out of town, he should be back soon.

Dan

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2007, 11:27:00 PM »
All right, Guys.  After 12 hours in airports today, I'm back.  I got several PM's with questions, I'll try and answer here.  If I was a lawyer, I would write some kind of disclaimer like, "This was my first knife - use my advice at your own risk."

Question: "Shape the handle before or after gluing to the tang?"     For the built up handle I did, I think you pretty much have to make the holes in the different layers - including drilling the wood or antler - first and then glue them on the tang before shaping.  And you put glue on the tang and between each layer.  I sanded the sheet brass before glueing.  I also sanded the leather spacers I cut out of the Goodwill belt to get any polish off of the glued surfaces.  Do a bunch of dry fits before gluing.  Unless you are better with the drill, give yourself a little extra material to get the wood and antler pieces square to each other as you are mating the surfaces together.  My belt/disc sander I got for Christmas was a real help for this.  I suppose for a one piece handle you could drill the hole, shape it then glue it on.  

"Do you need the brass nut?"  Nope, if I knew how to work leather, may not have used the nut.  The sheath I bought has a strap that pops over the nut to lock the knife in securely so I decided to use the nut.  If you use the nut, it limits the length of your handle.  My knife is really comfortable in my hand, but I might have liked it to be about an inch longer.  If you build up the knife with several layers and don't run the tang thru and use the nut, one fellow said he glues and extra rod in the handle - I guess so end piece is less likely to snap off if you are putting some pressure on it.  I'll give the address to that thread at the end.

"Did you drive the guard piece on?"     The guard I bought from darktimber is made for the Helle #99 blade, so I needed to do a little file work to get it to sit the way I wanted it to on the Veidemann blade I used.  I filed the guard (rather screw up a $1.50 part than a $22 blade) but you can shape the blade to get the fit you want.  If you used brass stock, you'd have to drill and fit it from scratch.

"Can you use smooth-on?"     Beats me!  Some of the bowyers might be able to answer that better.  A lot of folks said they use JBWeld but I only know the gray-looking JBWeld.  I used Devcon 2-ton epoxy since it is pretty clear.  The glue joint are almost invisible.

"tools?"     As I said, put my belt/disc sander to a lot of good use - did the majority of the shaping with it.  The rounded end of the belt sander worked great for rough shaping the hollows for my thumb and finger near the guard.  Probably the best tool for shaping would be one of those narrow 1" belt sanders - but don't have one of those.  Put my dremel tool to good use for fine finishing.  Used primarily a small sanding drum, a conical grinder bit and a buffing wheel with polishing compound to brighten up the guard once done.  One thing I did a little different is I tried to shape the handle to the antler burr.  Instead of sanding the transition smooth and knocking off the pearling, I used a small grinder tip on the Dremel to shape the wood/leather/brass to match the antler as best I could.  Came out pretty good.  If it's a smoother part of the antler, would be easier just to sand it smooth.  Also used some files for a little shaping and my 4-in-1 rasp a little.  I bought a 3/16" long drill bit for about $3 to drill and rout out the tang.  Try as I did, my drilling really sucked.  Luckily, I had enough wood to work with.  A drill press would have been nice, but note on some of the blades, the tang is angled so draw a bunch of pencil marks to make sure you know exactly where you want to drill.

"Finish"    I used wipe-on poly instead of acrylic.  I think the water based stuff gets milky looking when wet (bloody?).  Just avoid the mistake I made and know the wood you used.  The bocote is oily and it was difficult to get the poly to try.

I think I answered most of the questions.  Let me know if not.  Here's a good thread off the ***********:
 http://***********.bowsite.com/TF/lw/thread2.cfm?forum=23&threadid=147520&messages=117&CATEGORY=9

Steve

Offline Chad Sivertsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2007, 12:47:00 PM »
Steve offers some good info here.

There are several ways to do this depending on  your skills/experience, tools and handle materials used. It is not that difficult and once you have been through the process the clouds will lift and vision will be clear.

For those using the guthook be sure to get and keep the guthook as sharp as possible.
Happy Trails,
Chad

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2007, 04:08:00 PM »
Here's a photo of the knife in the Helle sheath that uses the end nut to hold it in place.  That's one reason to use the nut, another is just a little more assurance that you won't pop the end piece off, I guess.  Took me a little work to stretch the sheath to fit my handle, but it is like a perfect custom fit now.  Steve

Offline Joe Subler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2007, 01:44:00 PM »
ttt
62" Mohawk  53#@27"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©