3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back from Cloverdale! (picture heavy)  (Read 699 times)

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
Back from Cloverdale! (picture heavy)
« on: June 11, 2011, 11:26:00 PM »
I just got in from the Cloverdale shoot. As always it was a great time with lots of old freinds flinging arrows, telling stories, following the shade and trying to stay dry!

Actually the weather was almost perfect this year, a little warm when I pulled in Tuesday 94 degrees but it cooled down nicely and the rain avoided us with the exception of friday night.

There were already a few camps set up when we rolled in but the campgrouds were still pretty empty.

Blackie and Danny Swartz had a cozy little camp set up and are just some wonderfull people to spent time with.

It did not take me and my youngest long to get camp  set up and to get into relax mode. This was my 9 year olds first extended camping trip. He is no stranger to the Cloverdale shoot but normaly only camps 1 night. He camped 5 nights and hanged tough, I'm proud of him.

He talked Jake into hiring him for a few days to help out with jakes arial machine (arrow retiever). Of couse I think he was just into it for the shooting oppurtunitys!

Thats him in the middle showing some pretty good form on moving targets!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back from Cloverdale! (picture heavy)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 11:34:00 PM »
Most of my pictures from the range somehow got deleted but I did get lots of camping shots with alot of the members here.

Otto's times 3!

This stranger even made it in for a day!

Some of the people from Saturday nights meatfest.

A toast to "Blackies Camp"

It was another great time, we shot arrows until our arms ached, ate until we couldn't move, told new stories and repeated classics around campfires, and laughed until our sides hurt!

The range was incredible as always The guys at Cloverdale put in some serious thought and work to the course and I can't thank them enough.

The only downside to the week is it will be a full year before we can do it again!

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 11:35:00 PM »
Nice pics looks kike you all had fun.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 12:30:00 AM »
Looks like a good time was had by all!!
Did I see a pair of Scifres in there??
Building a small camper ...will be ready for deer and shoots beyond that!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 03:00:00 AM »
Looks like a blast. Kinda bummed I didn't get to make it but I been to a few good shoots already this year.

I'll be there next year for sure.

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 09:51:00 AM »
I enjoyed it Saturday. Weather was great.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 01:59:00 PM »
Looks like u had a blast!! Thanks for sharing!!
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 02:10:00 PM »
Great stuff, it'll keep you busy between the hunting seasons.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline John Lipinski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »
i'll be posting some pictures from the shoot as well soon. just got back from cloverdale myself

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 05:58:00 PM »
Looks like you all had a great time.  :campfire:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
Great to see you again Dennis.  You missed the first annual Cloverdale Coon Shoot though on early Sunday morning.  Picture a dozen or so guys with bow n arrows running around the practice range for a couple hours in the dark.  It was surprising how much foam was hit and that we didn't lose an arrow amongst us  :)   No pictures - hehehe.

Thanks for posting the pics.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 07:28:00 PM »
Dang John if I knew there was a coon shoot I might have stuck around till Sunday morning!

Offline e alexander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
Had a great time.  Looking forward to seeing some more pictures.

Offline JimL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »
Wow, that gets me excited.  It looks like I might get to go to the ETAR in Penn in July and that sure fires me up.
...by Him to reconcile all things unto Himself; whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.   Col  1:20

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
Denny,

From seeing your posts over the years as a fellow Illinois boy, you were one of the folks I hoped to meet at Cloverdale on this trip.  I never figured out how to find you, and now, I figure we spent hours together in "Blacky's Camp" gorging ourselves.  I bet I even spoke with you, but didn't have a clue!

I was the guy tripping around with a black walking stick (and probably the only guy without a Jagermeister!)

It was SO good to see Mickey again, and Blacky and Danny,  Steve and Ron Otto and Big Jake (AMAZING hosts!), John's Scifres and McCreary... and new friends to boot.

I love any event with trad archery folks, but Cloverdale feels the very best!
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Hippie Chris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »
Awesome time!
"Sneak and Destroy"

Offline John Lipinski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2011, 10:19:00 PM »
okay guys, this was the first ever 3D shoot for me, and i made the drive down from just north of chicago by myself. I pulled up and set up my camp, and within a few hours, i had already met some real nice people. Ended up talking to an engineer about school and whatnot for a while... even though i came there expecting to talk about bowhunting. never know who you're going to find. I came down on Friday, stayed until Sunday today. I was lucky enough to pick up an old bear back quiver to replace my el-cheapo target quiver that i was planning on using for the weekend. that night, there were seven arrows in that quiver... silently unaware of their ultimate fate. Woke up the next morning, and registered for the shoot. Unfortunately, I didn't find the practice range before that time, so i went into the shoot stone cold, and it took a lot of warming up. the shots were all very well thought out, and the targets were all in good shape. shot number 19 of that morning's first 20 targets ended in my arrow missing the lynx, and connecting straight with the tree. Don't you just love the smell of port orford cedar? I sure do. six left. went back to camp, cooked up some lunch, and was ready to go back at it. the second set of 20 targets went swimmingly for me, it mostly followed a creekbed which was beautiful country, and led to very good scenery for the shots that were set up. the last ten targets of the course I shot with a group of three older guys, and one of them was one heck of a talker. Those ten targets were some of the most fun of the weekend. It's a shame that I can't remember their names... anyway, I went and looked around at the vendors some more, ended up finding some new port orford cedar shafting and feathers for them. Tried my hand at some aerial targets, and the extra-long shot at the moose. After missing both of those, I decided to go lick my wounds and shot the practice range. Talked with my tent neighbors for the rest of the night, with six arrows still in my quiver. Sunday morning, I woke up early and shot the practice range starting around seven, didn't run into another soul out there. A poor release on one shot, connecting to a tree and shattering the arrow dropped my count down to five. Another one glanced off a bear awkwardly, shattered it too. Four left. I decided to go for broke and see if I could finish the range again, so i shot a second time. I did much better the second time around; i was hitting roughly one half in the kill areas instead of roughly one quarter of my shots. Still, on the other half my arrows were feeling the heat. One drove its point in a log and broke off behind that. another one lost its life on a shot for a bear through a few saplings; a slightly wrong trajectory and it caught the side of a sapling, shattering the arrow completely. two left. I'm starting to feel the heat. Two more targets left, too. Another poor release, and it connects with a rock. one last arrow. I take the shot at the last elk, and it flies straight and true to where I was looking. The one last arrow; the straightest arrow.

Aaanyway, storytime over, here are some pictures:

Setup my camp on friday:

dried out my camp on saturday:

me shooting the course:

my favorite shot of the day; the arrow arced right through that bent over tree to the target:

and the result:

the other very fun shots were those from the stands on hills. me shooting from a stand:

the (poor) results of the first run through:

overall it was a very fun shoot, the people were nice, and i broke all but one arrow. It was a great shoot to attend as my first 3D shoot. Cloverdale did a great job setting up the range.

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2011, 10:40:00 PM »
It looks like it was fun!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline k9bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2011, 10:40:00 PM »
Great pics! Wish I could have been there.

Offline P.J. Petiniot

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2011, 10:57:00 PM »
I am a tired guy, so I will make this short, and sweat--

Thanks to all that attended, you folks are the reason we continue to have this shoot, year after year--

As usual, I did not get to spend enough time with my friends, both old and new--

I will be up at the Compton shoot next week, I will make more of an effort to talk with you all then---Next week is all pleasure and NO work:)
If your bow has a trigger, it’s not a bow. If your bow has a trigger and a stock, it’s an abomination.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©