3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: An honest assessment of quivers  (Read 910 times)

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
An honest assessment of quivers
« on: June 12, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
Not being able to leave well enough alone regarding my tackle, I am considering different quivers.

Don't want this to be a good/bad thing, and not too interested in brands. More bow quiver vs other designs with supporting facts.  

What is in your HUNTING experience the quiver design you favor and WHY. For example, I would like to hear how the back quiver users handle carrying a pack with such a quiver and if tree limbs catch the fletching etc.

Thanks

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: An honest assessment of quivers
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 10:09:00 AM »
I have tried a bunch and have whittled it down to a BOA small fry for a bow quiver or a Cat Quiver 111 for a back quiver. The cat quiver has a back pack built into it and your fletching stays protected.The back pack is plenty large enough for day trips or one overnight. Last year all I used was the Cat Quiver and it's all I will use this fall.
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 10:17:00 AM »
I like bow quivers.  I have always used them and never, save for a home made rig, used anything else.  The added weight on my bow may have something to do with it.  It does seem to dampen some vibration and kill some sound.

I have used a number of types from the spring arm Bear's back in the late 60's to my current favoriate Thunderhorn.  I just this spring got a Kanati Slim Jim which I am playing with right now.

As to attachment, I have strap on, limb bolt and side.  All seem to work for me equally well.

Years ago I tried a back quiver and could not get comfortable with it.  It always seemed to give me some kind of problem.  I have also tried a hip quiver.  It did not do what I wanted either.

What kind of quiver you use is kind of like "what kind of vehicle" you drive....  You have to decide.  

Good luck
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »
I shoot a longbow most of the time .I like a strap on quvier easy access.plus the extra weight allows my bow to  to fall to the right to a natural cant fourm.it also adds weight to my long bow with no quiver my bow is under 1.5 lbs.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »
I don't use a back pack or bow quivers.

Overall, I like a GFA quiver. It can be worn like a back or side quiver. It has an arrow holder so the arrows never touch one another so no noise even going over rough terrain. Has a broadhead hood to protect the broadheads from touching one another so the broadheads don't get dull. Arrows are easy to get to when swung around from back quiver to a side quiver.  

Yes, the feathers are exposed if walking through a thick fog, but spraying Camp Dry or other equivalent on the feathers a week before keeps the feathers dry with no odor so animals won't smell the feathers and zero in on your position.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline William F. Adams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »
Does anyone know of a full enumeration of quiver styles --- how many different quiver concepts are there?

- basic open-ended tube
- Native American (one style (Plains?)soft leather w/ external hanging rod, usually has quiver for bow as well)
- back quiver
- target quivers
- field quiver (fletchings to back usually fanned out sometimes w/ individual holders)
- stalker quiver (tube w/ fletchings to back and opening to allow point first extrction
- Mongolian/Tartar/Turkish quivers (like a field quiver but w/ more attachment points intended for horseback)
- Chinese/Korean (small pouch w/ arrow grippers  http://anthromuseum.missouri.edu/grayson/koreanarchery/1991-0871-set.shtm  )
(both of the above are often paired w/ a matching bow case)
- Chinese/Korean arrowcase (  http://anthromuseum.missouri.edu/grayson/koreanarchery/1994-0826A-quiver.shtm  )
(both of those links are from  http://anthromuseum.missouri.edu/grayson/grayson.shtml  )
- and of course bow quivers

Lots of pictures here:

http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/5682/Miscellaneous-Quiver-Styles-Many-Photos?page=1

Any other designs or interesting variations? Anyone suggest any good books?

Offline aroflyte

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
I'm another one for the Catquiver. Been using a Catquiver 2 for 15 yrs. Stalking, just reach back and got an arrow in hand. Treestand, just hang it up and everything I need is right there. Very handy.

Offline William F. Adams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
I wrote:

>- Native American (one style (Plains?)soft leather w/ external hanging rod, usually has quiver for bow as well)

That needs to be expanded/re-written, but I'm not sure how...

``one style I know of which is uniquely Native American...''?

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 10:51:00 AM »
I have bought or made a number of quivers, starting with a back quiver, Bear 4 arrow, Bear 8 arrow (works best with 5); Glenn St Charles back, Cat Quiver II, Safari Tuff, Thunderhorn Boa leather hood with straps, GN with straps with some recurves or R&D longbow, and Hill style.

IMO the bow quiver works best on a recurve, and should be lite. Cat Quiver works anytime with any bow, and same for Safari. Hill style is more versatile than it looks, but best used when it is not raining. No real favorites and will continue to use different types depending on the situation and bow. Some bow quivers get too heavy with more than 4 or 5 arrows, some do not work for me on longbows.

Nothing to fret about, just use what you want.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
I use a Dawgware Timo lite most the time. Protects my arrows a bit and hides the feathers.I can carry an assortment of arrows and lots of them.I also use a homemade from a store bought bow quiver an Asbell type quiver. I started using one like this over 20 years ago.I also have used a back quiver a bit but do that usually in the Winter. I recently got the perfect for me back Quiver from Brother " Shinken"and look forward to putting it to use. If I had to use only one it would be the Dawgware or one like it. Safari Tuf looks good as well but have never used one.RC

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 11:10:00 AM »
I have tried every type of quiver over the years and have come to the conclusion I need something different with different bow styles and activities. When I hunted with my Treadway bow I had a Selway bow quiver on and loved it. It seemed to make the bow more stable for me. Now I shoot mostly selfbows and like them bare and physically light. When target shooting I use a side stalker type(homemade)quiver and for hunting I prefer a GFA type quiver that I made from my old selway bow quiver. I've never likes a back quiver although I consider them very traditional and I can't get used to a Plains style quiver. It seems to be in my way all the time.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 11:26:00 AM »
I shoot the bow all year without a bow quiver, so I don't feel like getting used to one when I go hunting.  The Safari Tuff works great whether I'm wearing a pack or not, and although I use a lot of different quivers for other purposes, I can't imagine using any other quiver to hunt with.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 11:26:00 AM »
Over the years I've tried them all- back,hip,side plains indian and bow quivers! Thru the spring /summer I would stalk woodchucks testing each quiver under hunting situations! Come fall, I always revert back to my bow quivers! With my bow quivers,I like the fact that my arrows are right up front for mimual movement to retrieve that second arrow when needed! also I find them way easier to manuver thru brush and such! I use a fletch cover to protect and hide the bright colors from wary game! Now if I was going on an exttended trip of more than 2 days I'll also carry my safari tuff for the extra arrows!  I also like the looks of bow quivers and don't mind the added weight!
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 11:50:00 AM »
For 3d I always carry my arrows in a back quiver.  For short hunting trips I have a two arrow bow quiver I made that does not change my point of impact at all.  If I am hunting more than a half mile from the truck I carry a home made side quiver that is similar to the Safari Tuff quiver that holds plenty of extra arrows and protects the fletching from our lovely wet weather.  

I did hunt one year with a back quiver.  If you keep just a few arrows in them a pack will hold the quiver against your back and keep the arrows really quiet. Downside, the fletching flag like crazy, are not protected from the elements and catch a lot of brush.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 12:05:00 PM »
Like most of you, I struggled for years with quiver styles.   I never really liked bow quivers, from early on.   This goes back to the seventies....I hated the rattle and the awkward weight (for me) on my bows.   Back then it was recurves, but when I switched to shooting longbows in the eighties, it was especially true.   Of course back then, there wasn't the options available today.   Hunting here in MT, most of my outings were more like expeditions.   Hunting in the mountains requires more gear, and means packs.   I own several back quivers, and I like them for targets, small game, and plinking around and about, but they never worked well with packs.   I began experimenting with a Kwikee type bow quiver with a strap....much like the side quivers many are using now, and I liked that as the "best" option I could find and still use packs.  

Around about that time, selway came out with their version of a hip quiver using the kwikee bracket, that slipped onto a belt, and many of my friends began using that option.    It had it's merits, and that idea intrigued me, but I did'nt like the fact that you had to remove your belt to take off the quiver.   I also did not like the angle of the arrows, and the quiver still hung too low on the leg, increasing the "flagging" of your fletches while you walked or moved.    Still, it removed one of my other irritations of the other options...that being another strap around my neck, which already held pack straps, binos, calls...a various assortment of potential strangles.    

At that time, I was eyeballing a quiver made by the Idaho Leather company, or something like that.   A real quality product, still made, that also fit on your belt, but rode high on your hip eliminating flagging issues, and your arrows and feathers trailed straight back behind you.   The only issue was the belt thing again, and I wasn't crazy about the springy friction way it held your shafts together.   I began to put my thoughts together using the selway idea, and the way the idaho quiver rode.....and incorporated a pistol holster idea I used when packing in the backcountry, and came up with my quiver caddy.  

It "hangs" on your belt...no more straps!  It is the easiest to remove in a hurry....works with any number of quiver designed to fit the AMO holes on a bow riser (like a kwikee, which we prefer).   Being that it hangs, it is easily taken off and hung while in a treestand, or moved in the thickest, brushiest situations (that even a bow quiver won't survive) or when stalking close to critters.  

The arrows and fletchings trail straight back and don't flag...when you squat with it on, they lay paralell to the ground....not flagging up, and if they are a problem take it off....easily.  

It is still the only hanging quiver thing I've ever seen made other than a similar type that Marv Clynke uses that he designed himself for similar reasons.   We have been using this for more than 20 years everywhere from Alaska to Texas, with big packs and fanny packs.  It just works.  Also, with the kwikee bracket, a guy can have several kwikees, one with target points or with carbons....another with woodies.   One has my antelope arrows, another my elk arrows, etc.

It may not be the perfect solution, but it's well thought out, and works for us very well.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »
Can’t stand a bow quiver, never have liked them dating back to the early 60’s… For hunting I’ve been using one variant or another of the Cat Quiver even since Jerry brought it out as a speed quiver.. for 3-D, field or just stumping I usually use a custom Pro 1 hip quiver made by Fist Inc.
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2011, 12:41:00 PM »
Mark - Please toss up some pics of your quivers....would be interesting to see.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2011, 12:50:00 PM »
Awesome summery Mark. And thanks for everyones input.
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline BowsnLabs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2011, 12:56:00 PM »
I own several of the more common quivers on the market and I think it depends somewhat on what bow your carrying and type of hunting you are doing.  I have used Selway slip-on and QD; Great Northern strap on and Limb-bolt; Rancho Safari hip quiver and various back quivers.  For bow quivers, I really prefer the Great Northern quivers although the slip-on Selway is a close second for longbows if you don't need to remove it often.  

However, a few years ago I picked up a MANTIS side quiver from LaClair Archery, and I think this is one of the most versatile quiver options around!  It works like the GFA but it is ALL leather, and I have found it to be extemely lightweight and most of all, QUIET...even when it is slung over my shoulders while I am carrying my Lone Wolf stand on my back.  Because of the all leather construction it wont make noise if it rubs/bumps against something...and there is nothing as nice as quality leather (I think these are made by Art Vincent).

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2011, 01:34:00 PM »
heres' a couple pics....also my avatar has a pic of me in Alaska with it.  

My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©