3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: An honest assessment of quivers  (Read 911 times)

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: An honest assessment of quivers
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »
+1 for Eagles Flight on the bow or Mark Baker's Quiver Caddy.
I had one of the Idaho Leather Co quivers. Mark's setup is better.    :thumbsup:    

I'm tired of any more straps around my neck or shoulders when it's hunting time.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »
Since this is an honest assessment....here's some things to consider.   By the way, I'm not trying to sell these, I don't have but a few left anyway, and I think I may keep them.  They are easy enough to make yourself.  

Hip quivers get a bum rap about going through brush and stuff.   I'll put this design up against ANY quiver for ease of maneuvering through thick brush.   When you get tangled, it's much easier to take this off and free yourself or gear, than to do the same with 60 inches or so of bow attached!   Believe me, I've been there and done it.  

Bow quivers do have some advantages however, in getting an arrow quick, and always being right there, but it's minimal.   Many do like the extra weight with them.  That's all fine.   It really boils down to preference and opinion.   And in the end, you will try everything like we all do.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2011, 01:53:00 PM »
I am partial to a strap on bow quiver most of the time,Have used Great Northern for many years,my bows seem to shoot a little better with it on.I shoot nothing but a 1 piece longbow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »
I went with a safari tuff quiver, I didn't like the bow quivers because of the extra weight on the bow, I thought it threw the bow balance off, at least for me. It also makes the bow more noticeable when moving it. If your going through thick stuff it made it harder to keep from getting tangled up.

The Safari tuff quiver protects the arrows and can keep the feathers from getting wet or tangled up, it makes it easy to access the arrows and put them back into the quiver, and if necessary put them back in, It keeps the arrows quite and holds them firm, It comes in camo . It has the potential to carry many arrows of different types. It's easy to get an arrow out for a  second shot. It attaches to the sides of most packs easily and still maintains the ease of getting to the arrows, but the question is do I like it ?, what do you think ?
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2011, 03:04:00 PM »
Thanks Mark.....I like the thinking and experience that went into that.  I really like my Big Jim bow quiver.....buy you've got me thinking by having removed some of the issues of a standard hip quiver.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2011, 03:28:00 PM »
I really like that idea Mark! Now I just need to figure out how to make one of those.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2011, 03:41:00 PM »
I've tried back quivers and bow quivers and prefer bow quivers while walking through the woods.  I did have problems with the arrows catching on low branches while ducking under them with a back quiver on.  And it was kinda noisy with the aluminum arrows rattling around.

Offline carpenter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2011, 03:59:00 PM »
For 3-d it doesn't matter,but for hunting,I will take a bow quiver.
Howard Hill Wesley Special  HH Halfbreed

Offline Ray Borbon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2011, 04:17:00 PM »
I only use a back quiver when shooting flat range or 3-D.

Otherwise I will use some sort of side quiver. I have a GFA, Safari Tuff Duiker, a leather side quiver.

The leather quivers will soak up the rain most. They are also the most rugged. The side quiver I have is much like the HH quiver on 3RiversArchery.com

The Safari Tuff Duiker is an ok quiver. It protects fletching better than all my other quivers. It doesn't soak up much rain water and when it does, it dries fast. It's a good quiver.

The GFA quiver is a good quiver. It has a plastic bar down the back side of the quiver that can make noise if you bump an arrow shaft on it or even if you bump up against a rock with it (happened to me).

The perfect quiver doesn't exist but any of the side quivers above seem fairly decent to me. If I was going to fight brush and rain all day long I would go with the Safari Tuff. But if it's not raining and I am hiking into the high country I will likely bring my GFA quiver. If out in the open like in Montana or Wyoming I like my leather side quiver. Most of all I like the option of all of them and am spoiled. I even have a quiver made from a coyote. I won that thing in a raffle. Pretty neat.

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2011, 04:22:00 PM »

A lightweight bow quiver is convenient, will more often then not quieten your bow, and can even act as a stabilizer to improve how a lightweight bow will shoot. Many of them (such as the Eagle's Flight Archery quiver shown)do not require retuning to allow for the quiver.

Back quivers can be hot in warm weather and catch on over head brush. Side quivers and pocket quivers are unobtrusive, but I have seen guys forget they were there and sit on them.

:archer2:    :archer2:

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2011, 05:19:00 PM »
I love my High noon hunter. I carry it like a GFA and a back quiver combination if that makes any sense.

I like Mark Bakers outfit. Where can a guy get one of those.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2011, 05:28:00 PM »
I am a bow quiver guy but I have one of Marks side quivers.  Thats what I would use full time if I ever got away from the bow quiver.  They just work.

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2011, 05:33:00 PM »
I have one of Mark's quivers but I prefer the bow quiver for weight etc.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2011, 05:35:00 PM »
I have two of these hip quivers from the late 80s (the other is in treebark). I modified them over a decade ago with a shoulder strap to use as a side quiver for hunting. I really dont like bow quivers either. It gets worn like a GFA or straped to the treestand on the way in or out.I do use a back quiver when squirrel or rabbit hunting or 3d in cooler weather. In the summer I have one of Steve Catts belt side quivers.

Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2011, 05:39:00 PM »
My vote goes toward the catquivers and those like them that have a cover for the fletching
James Kerr

Offline the longbowkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2011, 08:05:00 PM »
in my experience, I have found side quivers to be very cumbersome and noisy when hunting on the ground, and not usable from a treestand. the arrows scratch the bark if you have to turn to make a shot.  i like the simplicity of having all major sources of noise in one spot, i find it easier to move silently only having to worry about one object, the bow.  i have only been bowhunting for three years, but i have definitely settled with bowquivers exclusively.  i do love the look of many side and back quivers, I just dont prefer them for hunting.
Anneewakee Addiction longbow 56" 50@28

"too many people live under the misguided impression that death is the worst possible of natural events"
  -John G. Mitchell, "The Hunt"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2011, 08:51:00 PM »
I now have a Safari Tuff ,and an Asbell,some bow quivers from different manufacturers, The Safari Tuff maybe the one........I have used Mark Bakers style for a few years on and off, It maybe the most underrated  of all of them. It just works very well!I have tried lots and still have not found one that fits all needs.......Mr. Bakers is very close!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ncsaknech1ydh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
I just can't get used to back quivers, I have tried them, I just like my arrows right by my hand when a quick follow up is needed. I have been using the Selway slide on quivers for years and really like them, also like the way they look on the bow, very traditional looking to my eyes. I practice with them all year long so when hunting season rolls around I'm all ready to go. I was always brushing the noisy fletching on trees and things when I tried them years ago. I'm sure though for someone who uses them all the time you would get used to them, it just seems to me that right on the bow is much more efficient. DK.
"Anchor is a place where I can relax in an uncommitted state of mind"

64" BobLee Classic TD LBow 57# @ 32 1/2
64" BobLee BCentenniel TD RCurve  53# @ 32 1/2"
Always looking for BobLee Long Bow or RCurve Limbs, 64" 40# to 50#.

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2011, 01:11:00 AM »
Hip quivers and back quivers are just more junk to carry IMO. I like the quiver on my bow for the added weight and stability and the quick second arrow if needed. I have 4 or 5 kwikee quivers and 2 delta 7 arrow quivers.
BD

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2011, 03:11:00 AM »
I am actually looking  for a quiver right now..I used selways and currently use a thunderhorn but i went to 3 under and Idont hardly cant my bow at all now. And now with my quiver on I shoot right. I am thinking of going with a catquiver. I would try one of the tube style side quivers but i am afraid my broadheads will dull not being seperated.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©