3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Got a *BOW* from Howard Hill Archery...  (Read 1249 times)

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
Got a *BOW* from Howard Hill Archery...
« on: June 12, 2011, 12:29:00 PM »
Hey guys, I have a few questions here that I was wondering if you could help me with...

You see, I finally got to shoot a Hill style bow. Hands down the quietest bow I have ever shot. I shot it just as well as my other bows, and have no idea why everyone complains about handshock. I  really  liked shooting it.

So then I requested a catalog from HH archery and got it just the other day. After reading it around 20 or 30 times. I know now that without a doubt, I want a Hill. But I had a few questions.

I remember Rob saying, "hill style bows need to have some serious length, as compared to your true draw length, for them to work their magic. too short a length and you will be missing out and not be a happy camper at all." If I have a 28 in. draw, what length is recommended? I was thinking 67 or 68 in.

I've read alot of people saying they are going to get string follow on their hills. Is it recommended I get this?

Haven't decided what model yet but had a few ideas.

Was thinking something like a Wesley special with black or brown glass and a coco riser or a maybe a Cheetah (love the juniper).

I saw Robs Tembo in the "HH bug..." thread and have to say it looks gorgeous too, would consider something alone those lines as well.

I've been trying to keep up with the "HH bug..." thread but didn't want to hijack with all my dumb questions. I just don't want to screw this up when I order in the near future...

Thanks! I really appreciate it.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
Re: Got a *BOW* from Howard Hill Archery...
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 12:37:00 PM »
68" definitely and remember, they tend to run a little heavy so, when ordering, order your accordingly. Good luck and there is nothing like roaming the woods with a Hill bow.

I have never shot a string follow Hill so, can't help you there. All of my Hills have been the standard design and I've never had a lick of troubles with them shooting wise.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Sean Butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 01:08:00 PM »
My dad just bought a tembo with string follow.  I can't tell a difference from his tembo that doesn't have the string follow.  

I bought a cheetah this year.  68" 47lbs@28".  My next HH will be 70" and 44@28.  Like Wannabe1 said, they run heavy.  

I absolutely love my cheetah and after a bit of practice i shoot it very well.  It's my favorite bow to shoot in the back yard.
"There is something about north. Something that sets it apart from all other directions. A person who is heading north is not making a mistake, in my opinion"

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 01:13:00 PM »
What riser wood do you have on your cheetah? The Juniper just looks awesome!

Thanks for the help guys!

Offline longbowray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 01:29:00 PM »
I have hills from 62 to 66 in and the longer they are the better they feel and I draw 27 1/2  been shooting hills from around 1986 or 1987
BOWHUNTTER FOR LIFE

Offline MT Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 01:37:00 PM »
I have a 29 INCH DRAW AND SHOOT THE 70 INCh...TIP TO TIP ITS 72 INCHES!!!  Its freaking cool shooting a LONG longbow.  Smooth as butter.
Craig Ekins;
70" -60LB "Robin Hood",string follow  #47 of 50. LE
68" -70Lb Redman, string follow all YEW. "Yewlogy"
68" -75Lb@28. 3 lam Boo. String Follow- "LegendStick"

Ron Maulding : 68" Big Horn , Boo and Osage. 78#@27.

David Miller: Old Tom

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 01:50:00 PM »
Have  3 Hills. All 68". A Wesley , Big 5 w/ string follow and a Redman all smooth . Weights are 55,56and 61 if they are heavier than that I don't know, I just shoot them.
Great bows.   I draw 28-28.5
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Offline Sean Butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 01:51:00 PM »
K. Mogensen,

I really agonized over the riser wood and finally went with Coco bolo, and i'm very happy i did.  

"There is something about north. Something that sets it apart from all other directions. A person who is heading north is not making a mistake, in my opinion"

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »
Sean, that just made my day. I wanted the Juniper limbs, but wasn't sure if a Coco riser would work. That bow is absoluteley perfect!

I can say now that a 68" 55# Cheetah will be ordered soon.

Thanks so much guys for the help! This is exciting...

Offline Sean Butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 02:09:00 PM »
Glad to be a help.  I've also seen a cheetah with an ebony riser that looked very slick.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 02:16:00 PM »

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 02:18:00 PM »

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 02:18:00 PM »
I really like the ebony as well but all the Cocobolo I've seen in the Hills is gorgeous.

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 03:01:00 PM »
Sounds like you are well on your way. I'll just add my .02. The length will be just right for you at 68". I have come to prefer the dished grip on a longbow, and to me there is nothing prettier than a nice piece of cocobolo. The nicest Hills I have shot have had yew in the stack, either the Redman or the Halfbreed. You would be hard pressed to buy a bad Hill.

Good luck, and good shooting!
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 04:40:00 PM »
I've had many Hills.    Definitely 68 or 70"   Length in a Hill is a good thing.   I have a 25" draw and favor 66".  The coco complements the juniper while the ebony (yum) provides a beautiful contrast.   I started out with the locator grips, then went to straight, but have come to really like the dished.  The Cheetah was one of my favorite Hills, with the Halfbreed.  (I've had many Hills!)    Yes, they do tend to run heavy and the deep core tends to feel a bit stiffer, too.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 04:45:00 PM »
That Cheetah with the ebony is awesome looking!

I was planning on a dished grip for this bow, but I know that may change with time and the more bows I shoot.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2011, 05:01:00 PM »
RC, not only is that bow a beauty, she is a shooter as well.

I happen to love the contrast of the juniper and ebony in "Keeper Kat" HH Cheetah 66" 56@28.

When I shoot KK indoors I have to be a little more careful as she tends to try to ruin arrows plus she hits my eternity target hard enough that sometimes I get an arrow that actually goes through the target far enough to bury the tip into the wall behind the target.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2011, 05:05:00 PM »
Mudd, I saw KK in the Fun shoot thread and it is gorgeous as well as a great shooter too it looks like.

Question for all you guys, would it be worth it to ask about getting Yew cores instead of Boo?

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
Yew cores on a Cheetah.    You would essentially have a Redman with Juniper veneers... be very smooth and nice feeling, combining the woods of two of the smoothest drawing Hills.   You'd lose a touch of speed, but i doubt enough to be concerned about.   Hills aren't about speed anyway.   Sounds intriguing enough I might do it myself.   I have the juniper, yew and even a piece of ebony!
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2011, 10:20:00 PM »
I think that's the way I'll go if it can be done. I think it would be neat to not have the last lam run up the fades to show off the coco in the riser a bit too, kind of like the Robin Hood special edition they show on the site...

Quick question, hows the clear glass with hill bows? Does it tend to have marks under it or tend to be cloudy?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©