3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tarheels - 2011-2012 Season  (Read 2830 times)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Tarheels - 2011-2012 Season
« on: June 12, 2011, 12:46:00 PM »
I can't find anywhere where it lists the date it starts but I'm guessing it'll be Sept 10th.

I've been building two ground blinds since the end of he 2010-2011 season. A little at a time to give the deer time to adjust to it.

Scouting the area around the blind and in the pines I'm hunting are still torn up by trails/tracks. An spot where I had a salt block last year is now about 6" deep and growing in diameter and depth. They must be getting the minerals from the saturated Carolina red clay.

I saw a doe in her red summer coat Friday. Then it dawmed on me. DEER SEASON IS LESS THAN THREE MONTHS AWAY!!

OK Tarheels, are you already making plans??? Post up and let's pass the time and maybe before we know it opening day will be here.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tarheels - 2011-2012 Season
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 01:37:00 PM »
I was just thinking on the way home a little bit ago that I left a stand up from last year and that I need to go check on it. Your right Bud it will be here before you know it! I will try to locate a date also but that is the usual weekend it opens. Really looking forward to the time to just away from everything!

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »
I am making my plans. I have a spot picked out for my pop-up blind and I will get that in place the last weekend of July. The summer sign looks good in the woods and I anticipate a good season here in NC. I am the only person who hunts with a bow the 160 acres of land I hunt -- I have it completely to myself until the start of gun season. So I am thinking of setting up another spot or two just for the sake of having some options for differing weather conditions.
The season will be here before we know it.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 02:07:00 PM »
With all the craziness in my life right now I'll be lucky to make it out this year.  I did sharpen a few broadheads last night though just in case.    :D
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
One thing is for sure, early season deer need to be only a few hours away from the cooler.

An old timer gave me a tip a long ago. Black pepper keeps flies off exposed meat after field dressing. I tried it once with an early season deer harvest and it does work.

I have heard nothing but good things about Thermacels. I'll have to give one a try. I hate early season mosquitos. I had them bothering me even in Dec last year.

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
I bought a topo of Birkhead Wilderness Area in Uwharrie today.  I'm thinking about taking a week's vacation for the opening week, and camping and hunting the area.

Anybody tried that area before?
Dave

US Army Retired (1984-2013)
Job 42:1-6

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 09:40:00 PM »
I live right next to it but have never been.

Come up one weekend and we'll scout it.   :thumbsup:

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 06:01:00 AM »
Bud you seriously need a Thermacell! I thought they were like cellphones and everyone had them now! If your into early season hunting a Thermacell should be at the top of the list, get one you won't be disappointed.

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
Thermacells are the bomb brothas! Man i cant wait. Im laid up right now from knee surgery and im about to bust. i already have all my stands up and blinds built/popped up.

Lots of deer sign everywhere in the mountains i agree it will be a goodern!

I have a new bow that will be here next week, sinew backed flatbow being built by "Kegan" hes a member on here as well. Since ive been laid up ive done nothing but make dowell arrows i have like 13 with nanners i cut from my birds this year adn several flu flus]

I think ima try to kill with on this year...any advise? lol

i have to protest on the title of this thread though, we all know its the Blue Devil state
  :bigsmyl:    :thumbsup:    :notworthy:  

lookin forward to chattin with you fellas
  :campfire:
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 03:20:00 PM »
We're all tarheels if from or living in NC; but especially if born here.

The Chapel Hill team never entered my mind when posting this thread. They never enter my mind much anyway... Pack backer here since the early 70s.

We're all on the same side in the sport of archery.

I sure hope this heat is gone by Sept.

The chiggers and deer ticks have been out in full force.

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 03:42:00 PM »
Haha! just kiddin with you Bud. Yeah its unusually warm here in the mountains too, idk why. But i do know that we are LOADED with acorns this year. Fine by me i love hunting out of my Summit.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 03:44:00 PM »
I have to agree about the Thermacell.

I will also recommend anything made out of Insect Shield fabric -- that stuff really works. It is known by various names like Buzz-Off, Elimitick, and Insect Shield. It all works by making you invisible to a mosquito's person-finding mechanism.

Also, use Permanone. It will keep most chiggers from getting you.

Early season demands bug-fighting tactics.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »
I hate to disappoint you all, but North Carolina is my home now, and where I plan to stay when I retire.  However, I was born and bred a Wolverine fan, and when I say "Go Blue" I mean the Michigan Wolverines.  ;)
Dave

US Army Retired (1984-2013)
Job 42:1-6

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 05:26:00 PM »
As dry as it was last year I didn't need the thermacell till after gun season started. I need to go move my stands around a little but nothing major I start baiting in july normally.
"You can't make chicken salad outta chicken sh.........Poo"

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 05:55:00 PM »
Where would be a good summer source for mineral blocks for deer? I shoulda bought some on clearance at the local stores in Jan-Feb. Seems they would keep them in stock year round for antler growth. I just can't bring myself to go to Concord and spend waaay too much on a block for deer.

And I don't use commercial feeders. They get stolen too easily. What you you guys have for home feeders? I have used the black corregated drain pipe before and it worked well, only the food dispensing was too quick. It's also subject to rats and squirrels chewing it.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 06:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by huskyarcher:
Haha! just kiddin with you Bud. Yeah its unusually warm here in the mountains too, idk why. But i do know that we are LOADED with acorns this year. Fine by me i love hunting out of my Summit.
Oh I know, but when you dookies and you 'heels go at it it never stops. Man I've seen the workplace get all worked up.

I need to get a hunt in back up in the mountains. My first deer was in Laurel Springs near Dean Pruitt's dairy barn. He's long since passed away. That was way back in 1981 when I was 16.

I'd like to hunt the Blue Ridge again and also go down east for the first time. Bernie and Ruddy along with Joe and crew turned me onto the Croatan this past spring. Nice area, but too dang flat. I like looking across coves and valleys to other hillsides and stalking in.

We need to get a tradgang hunt in somewhere where everyone can join in and not have too far to drive. But NC is so freakin' long.

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 06:31:00 PM »
Let's meet in the middle!

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 06:34:00 PM »
I was thinkin of hosting 2-3 guys at the hunt club opening weekend. I had a blast with mark and his son turkey season thought I'd do it again, lord knows we've got the deer.

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 06:38:00 PM »
Is that the hunt where he pulled the pop up in and it about blowed away or something?

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 06:47:00 PM »
hahahah they had a boomer the first night but hey they both got nice toms. besides the next weekend we had all those twister over there that would have been BAD.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©