3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tarheels - 2011-2012 Season  (Read 2835 times)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tarheels - 2011-2012 Season
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
Here' another link to information on the Birkhead Wilderness area. Primitive camping is allowed. I don't think there are any fees.

Link is here  

If anyone wants to come up during the season I can try to pre-scout it. I'll call the Ranger office and ask a few questions to try to clarify anything cloudy.

Maybe three hunts....western, central, and eastern.?.?.?
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2011, 01:51:00 AM »
Jewel of a thought Bud!lol that would be aweome! we have 2 game lands up here that are pretty good! probly the best western public land.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2011, 06:51:00 AM »
I've always wanted to hunt  Thurmund Chatham .

But talk about steeeeep sided mountains.

Miller's Campground is about five miles away up HWY 18 to Laurel Springs just off the Blue Ridge Parkway.

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2011, 07:19:00 AM »
im lookin foward to this season. big mama is still around . i just saw her yesterday, and she is lookin healthy. a few days ago i saw what i thought was the spike i took a shot at last season, he is a forky now. he was also in the company of a six point ive never seen before. both look healthy . i wonder how they ar doin with the tick activity this yr. bernie we got to get you a deer this yr bud. come sept im puttin up the tools and going full on hunter. i didnt eat tag soup last season but finished the season with plenty tags to fill. got a new pack seat so some ground blind hunting is in order. my knees will be grateful for the new seat no more squat/kneel position for me.. i also explored more areas of the croatan, since the repairs were made to washed out roads last oct. it looks promising. come on sept.
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2011, 07:45:00 AM »
Well, up here its abut all steep. especially public ground. im mean heck theres a reason its public! Iv never been to that one Bud but ill be up for anything!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2011, 01:20:00 PM »
Ruddy,

Are MTBs legal in the Croatan?

Offline jonathan creason

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2011, 01:34:00 PM »
Birkhead has great camping areas, but it's pretty easy access for the public.  When I was there back in the winter I saw several people.  Of course, that was on a weekend.

I've got a 2 man kayak, and a john boat if water is the only access somewhere.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »
Cleave, that still sounds good (I'd almost forgotten your offer from last season's end) but of course it will depend on what condition my condition is in - LOL. Right now it's great but ya never know from one day to the next. We'll "talk" as it gets closer.

Ruddy, I know we'll be trying and that's about all we can do. I love it anyway.

I used to use my canoe, both here and in Maine. Never took a deer from it but did squirrels, and got into some neat places - haven't used it for about 5 years now, as I know I couldn't swim like I used to be able to - like a fish so I never worried back then.

Still enjoying the "chatter" let's keep it up. It's bound to help somebody, if not everybody.

Bud, MTBs? (are you talking motorboats, or what? if so, I think most areas I know allow them, there might be some small ponds/lakes that don't though. I ran into those restrictions more in Maine and NH)
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »
alright bud you got me, now enlighten me on what an mtb is. rv

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2011, 06:15:00 PM »
MTB

Mountian Bike - i.e. pedal power!!!!

I have a nice 29er that needs to see some hunting time. I need a Bob though...to haul out the deer if I'm so lucky to get one.

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2011, 06:17:00 PM »
I need to buy myself a canoe as much water as we have around here it would come in handy. I rode thru the club yesterday evening and saw 23 deer total aa few buck maybe 2 'nice" ones.
"You can't make chicken salad outta chicken sh.........Poo"

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
i dont think there is a wild life officer in the entire country that would ticket you for riding your mtb into any national forest or game lands bud.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »
Sounds good, Cleve.

Bud - ya sure flattened us, huh? LOL. I have a (Seniors - LOL) Comfort Bike (real nice riding) that Rose bought me for my birthday last year - to use in the Croatan down here where I live. It was the only thing they did allow in there past the barricades here. Turned out that it was a problem transporting to the gate with my car though and it was late in the season. I did get out and buy one of those bike trailers (made to haul small kids and goodies - high dollar) (at a flea market price). Right after I got it I found another (also cheap) at a thrift shop on base. I got it a;lso in case someone else needed one. So I have two that I have stripped the little canvas and plastic "shelters" off, so they make a good small "flatbed" to haul stands/blinds on (tree or ground), and I think even a deer perhaps. Interested in using one? I'll try to get out there and hook one up and take a pic. I may use mine here this year. Used to use a similar setup (I built) at Pungo a few years back but sold it when I quit going there. That one worked pretty well. Lots of State and Federal hunting areas that only allow access by bikes or foot.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »
Reason I ask is because Birkhead is a wilderness area and it's foot only. If you get caught in there on a bike or ATV you're toast.

Offline ProArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2011, 07:10:00 PM »
I'm thinking they will post next month

http://www.nrahq.org/hunting/statefishgame.asp
People need to get a life. That dose not mean to take someone else’s, or to make one they can't support.

If you fish and hunt only to catch or kill something. You have MISSED THE POINT COMPLETELY.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2011, 07:37:00 PM »
I'll be darned, that's unusual, it seems, even in a designated wilderness area. Is it State or Federal?

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2011, 07:53:00 PM »
So many great ideas out there, and let me say I have a couple of tandem canoes, and a recently finished rowboat, so water would work for me.

I'm game for going out west too.  I've done some hiking out there, and that would be a beautiful place to hunt.

jonathan, were the people you saw in the Birkhead limited to the trails?  Looking at the topo the area appears to have some nice possibilities off the trails.
Dave

US Army Retired (1984-2013)
Job 42:1-6

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »
Camping must be at least 200 feet away from the trails and parking areas in Birkhead.

The whole area is open to hunting and hikers are encouraged to wear hunting orange while hiking.

If you can get over near the Tot Hill Golf Course, which is to the north of Birkhead, deer are everywhere there. That's about 1 mile from my house.

I'll have to keep in mind the bike kids trailer idea Bernie. Thanks for the offer.

Sorry Bernie...it's Federal if I am not mistaken.

Bud

Offline jonathan creason

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2011, 08:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by bartcanoe:
So many great ideas out there, and let me say I have a couple of tandem canoes, and a recently finished rowboat, so water would work for me.

I'm game for going out west too.  I've done some hiking out there, and that would be a beautiful place to hunt.

jonathan, were the people you saw in the Birkhead limited to the trails?  Looking at the topo the area appears to have some nice possibilities off the trails.
Yeah, they were pretty much limited to the trails.  To be fair I didn't stray too far from them, and I know there's a lot of land in there to get away from the crowds.

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »
Would ya be interested in maybe doing a western hunt on Three Top Mountain or Thurmond Chatham? There both up here in the west and close enough to me that when i get back out of the hospital i can scout it for everyone? just throwing out ideahs let me know what you think
------------
Dalton Lewis

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©