3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tarheels - 2011-2012 Season  (Read 2832 times)

Offline jonathan creason

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tarheels - 2011-2012 Season
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2011, 11:24:00 AM »
I'd be game for that, husky.  I'm close enough to there or Birkhead that either one would certainly be possible for me.

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2011, 02:31:00 PM »
They have camping on both, but imo i think we should hit Thurmond Chatam, iv hunted 3top  a couple of times, and im not being arrogant, but im 19 and a head wrestling coach and its so steep it liked to killed me everytime i hunted it. Now that being said i do hunt ridges alot but trust me, its STEEP.

How many guys reckon we can round up for a western hunt?
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2011, 03:23:00 PM »
I'm in for a western hunt as long as I can plan fairly far in advance.

I'm in for Birkhead and Croatan or down east as long as I have planning time.

Birkhead is in my back yard so that's easier planning.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2011, 03:32:00 PM »
Definately agree we need to have it planned out. So lets decide what time of year? I was thinking that you flatlanders would enjoy hunting in the mountains earlier season due to the considerable temperature drop. In September and Early October acorns are everywhere, if you have a climber and can read deer sign you are in the chips.

I would think that the best time to hunt this place would be this time, mainly because you can concentrate the deer, idk just thinking out loud here, ideahs?
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline jonathan creason

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2011, 03:41:00 PM »
An early trip to the mountains sounds great to me.  I've got 3 birthdays in November to contend with, so traveling that month is tough for me.

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2011, 03:55:00 PM »
Well thats definatly ok with me fellas, Me and my Summit LOVE acorns   :p
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2011, 04:53:00 PM »
An early season trip to the mountains sounds good to me too.

Maybe we can do a late season in the Croatan, any Croatan experts have any ideas?
Dave

US Army Retired (1984-2013)
Job 42:1-6

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »
Hey David when you're ready let's scout Birkhead. Bring a walking stick. (For the rattlers in the event we encounter one....)

A few weeks from now is looking good for me. Maybe July 4th early? Then you can get back for the fireworks:)

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: June 16, 2011, 10:04:00 PM »
Bud, sounds like a good plan.

I'll know more Tuesday, I'll give you call sometime next week.
Dave

US Army Retired (1984-2013)
Job 42:1-6

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2011, 05:58:00 AM »
Alright fellas when i get out of the hospital il get out and scout them both. how many people we talkin? 3 to 5 or so?
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2011, 07:22:00 AM »
Western - early....maybe 2nd or third week of the season?

Central - mid season?

Eastern - later in the season?

But I do know the seasons vary. Forsyth Co is not far from me but I think it's in the NW season.

Randolph is in the Central season.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2011, 07:35:00 AM »
Hey guys, I just looked at last year's season and the Eastern guys had the shortest season with Western's the longest.

Maybe

1. Eastern (just three weeks last year Sept 11-Oct 1)

2. Central (last year Sept 11 - Oct 29)

3. Northwest (last year Sept 11 - Nov 9)

With Western having a split season maybe it could be #3 as well. (last year Sept 13 - Oct 2 and then Oct 18 - Nov 20)

Speaking of....as far as our seasons go, maybe we should be active in NCBA if we're not...

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2011, 04:23:00 PM »
Alright fellas sounds it all sounds fine to me. Just as soon as im able ill go check both places out. Ive been cyberscouting from the hospital lol so im narrowing it all down.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2011, 04:33:00 PM »
BTW - a better "tool" for a wayward "no-shoulders" is a long, flexible (green) sapling. Lighter, longer reach, and will break a snake's backbone in a heart beat (don't leave the end toooo little). I've killed more snakes with them, than even with a "bang-em-up", as long as I have one handy that hasn't dried out too much to still be flexible. Just a thought.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2011, 02:09:00 PM »
Anyone know if deer eat Beechnut nuts? Around the area i'm hunting the trees are loaded.

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »
Deer, turkey, and squirrels do. It is a mast and they seem to really like them especially turkeys.LCH

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2011, 08:11:00 AM »
Beech is a good tree to put portable stands in because they hold their leaves after browning well into winter.  A real pain to put screw-in steps in though...wood is hard as the dickens!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2011, 06:33:00 AM »
Unfortunately this Beech is in the side yard of the house near my stand. But it should draw in the deer a little more. I hope it draws in some turkeys also.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »
I'm planning on a Birkhead scout hike Monday 7/4 if anyone wants to go. It'll be early to avoid heat and get out of the woods for July 4th activities.

PM if interested.

Thanks.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2011, 11:03:00 PM »
I got to check my two ground blinds today. Now that summer is in full swing and vegetation is too, I managed to bend over some small but tall sourwood trees to help provide natural camouflage. I should be good until fall leaf drop. My ladder stand needs some attention but is still quite sturdy.

I bought one of those mineral rocks sold in sports shops. I put it out last week. They're already on it. it's licked smooth now with the pine needles around it packed down where they stood while licking it.

I even saw a nice summer coated deer on the way home.

Things are looking good.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©